Wouxun KG-UV8D

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Hello all. I wanted to share my latest 2M/440 HT by Wouxun.

The reason I chose this is it is able to crossband, and the price is only $109.95 USD at HRO.

20150301_184210.jpg

The only difference mine has is I added a Diamond SRH77CA Antenna (15 Inches Long).

Following is a quick showing if the features of the radio:

Features

• True Dual band Receive (VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF)
  • 8-Character Alpha-Numeric, Backlit Color LCD Display
  • Selectable high/low power settings (VHF: 5W high/1W low) (UHF: 4W high/1W low)
  • Includes extended life 1700 mAh high capacity li-ion battery as standard
  • Includes intelligent desktop 3-4 hour rapid charger
  • Loud speaker audio output (500 mW)
  • Bright flashlight illumination function
  • Meets IP55 waterproof rating
  • English female voice prompts enable non-sighted operation (can be turned off)
  • 999 channels memories (shared)
  • VOX Function
  • Digital FM radio (76-108MHz) with automatic tuning and storing, radio frequency display, 18 FM memories in 2 banks
  • Wide/narrow bandwidth selection (25 or 12.5 kHz)
  • Power on display: show battery voltage or color logo
  • Windows PC programmable, free software available for download. Optional low cost cable (SKU: WXUSB) required.
  • Radio to radio cloning with optional cable (SKU: WXCLN)
  • Same channel: VHF TX & UHF RX or UHF TX & VHF RX available
  • 105 groups DCS/50 groups CTCSS
  • 16-Key DTMF encoding
  • CTCSS encode/decode (with split tone capability)
  • Stopwatch function
  • SOS function
  • Low-voltage voice prompt
  • Busy channel lockout
  • Selectable transmit over timer (from 15 to 600 seconds)
  • Selectable step sizes of 2.5, 5, 6.25, 10, 12.5, 25 kHz
  • Multiple scan modes including priority scan
  • Keypad lock (auto or manual)
  • Programmable by computer or keypad
  • High contrast white backlit keypad. All keys are backlit (except A/B, S/D & RPT)

Read more: http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-ra...8d-dual-band-amateur-radio.html#ixzz3TBvhLeZW

Nice piece of kit, the Baofeng UV5R is very similar and very popular among preppers and hams over here.
My kids, all licensed, each have a Baofeng UV-5RE. For the price they are hard to beat, and if they lose or break them I am not out a lot of money.
Key to the Boafeng, (HT's in general) is getting a longer antenna.
I am debating on getting the 8 watt Boafeng. Though, you have to be careful who you buy it from.

What I have done is converted my UV5s FROM Ham radios into super PMR ( I think they are called FRS in the US) because I don't have or want a ham licence, so by using CHIRP I reprogrammed the sets to only broadcast on PMR channels 1-8 and digital PMR channels 9 to 16 on 4 watts, which pretty much gives my family its own net on a se of freqs rarely used by anyone else, I upgraded them with better whip antenna and a few other bits. If I ever do go for my foundation licence I can easily reprogramme the sets.

My tame experts suggest the 8 watt version is a battery eater and does not provide much further range, they suggest better antenna rather than bigger power output.

Looking back on this before I hit "send", I realize it looks like an advertisement. I don't make any money whatsoever from my blog.

There are uses for both types of radios in my mind. A UV5R radio is in the emergency kit carried in each of our vehicles and another is in the panic "go bag" while the final one is on a charger next to my bed. I keep the batteries in an outer pocket of the emergency and go kits so that every few days, I can swap the freshly charged battery from my nightstand radio with one of the emergency units with a minimum of fuss. This cost very little actually and is great insurance. The booger-picker that comes with the UV5R radios is pretty worthless, so there is a better radio-mounted antenna with each radio along with a roll-up slim-jim antenna made of 300 Ohm TV cable on the end of 10 feet of thin coax for when I need better height for the antenna (the thin coax, is pretty lossy but I think the height more than makes up for it). I agree with Northern Raider on the antenna. A common philosophy among ham operators is the antenna should cost as much or more than the radio. If the SHFT, I expect to be deploying a large number of these cheap radios as a means of wide area perimeter security (even using an abandoned neighbor's home as a honeypot between me and the population center) and even an intercom to be used with strangers: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/07/inexpensive-handheld-transceivers-in.html

I also own more than one Wouxun KG-UV8D radio. The reason is they can be used as a low-powered repeater when the need arises. When operating in a ravine, you might have trouble getting your signal out. The UV8D radio can be configured as an auxiliary repeater in a couple of seconds and literally hoisted into a tree. In a SHTF situation, it can be used to conceal your transmitter location. By the way, MTCRadio.com sells the UV8D for a few dollars more than the other place mentioned, but the MTCRadio version has the latest firmware and 2600mAh battery as standard equipment. Besides, my experience has been that MTCRadio simply sends you a new radio if there's a problem without making you jump through hoops or send the radio back to China for "warranty" service. When MTC buys these radios from China, they order extra "hold-back" stock and warranty replacements come from this, so there is minimal delay.
There's more information about unconventional uses for the KG-UV8D on my blog: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/06/ham-radio-new-toy-arrives.html

There is some information about how repeaters work here: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/08/repeaters.html

If your responsibilities include a larger group, I think you should also have a mobile dual-band radio capable of cross-band repeat in your vehicle. The vehicle can be moved to a location and if needed, a portable mast can be erected or the antenna can be hoisted up a tower or tree because mobile radios have enough power to overcome feed line losses from having longer coax cables.

What I have done is converted my UV5s FROM Ham radios into super PMR ( I think they are called FRS in the US) because I don't have or want a ham licence, so by using CHIRP I reprogrammed the sets to only broadcast on PMR channels 1-8 and digital PMR channels 9 to 16 on 4 watts, which pretty much gives my family its own net on a se of freqs rarely used by anyone else, I upgraded them with better whip antenna and a few other bits. If I ever do go for my foundation licence I can easily reprogramme the sets.
Unfortunately here in the USA it is illegal to use amateur radios on GMRS/FRS frequencies.

My tame experts suggest the 8 watt version is a battery eater and does not provide much further range, they suggest better antenna rather than bigger power output.
I have put a 17" antenna on the radios already. I do believe the right antenna will make up for a multitude of issues.

Last edited:
I put Nagoya 771 ants on mine and bought AA battery adaptor packs as back ups incase the NiCad cell fails

Unfortunately here in the USA it is illegal to use amateur radios on GMRS/FRS frequencies.
I have put a 17" antenna on the radios already. I do believe the right antenna will make up for a multitude of issues.

Well in my blog it is explained in a lot more detail, but FCC rules here in the US do allow transmission from a HAM radio on GMRS/FRS frequencies when a life is at stake. My KG-UV8Ds have all been "opened" up so that it can transmit on a wider range of frequencies including marine, MURS, GMRS, FRS, commercial and municipal frequencies. Those frequencies are currently programmed for receive only so I don't inadvertently step over the line.
In an emergency however, it will communicate with whoever it needs to (within the hardware limits) to save a life. In fact, it can be used in an emergency to cross-link two dissimilar radio services and thus works as a force multiplier.
I'm not trying to start an argument. It is illegal to transmit out of HAM bands with a radio not type-accepted and in some cases licensing is required for operations on a given band. Because of the Emergency Communications angle, I think it important that HAM operators know how to do it so we aren't having to learn under stress.

My KG-UV8Ds have all been "opened" up so that it can transmit on a wider range of frequencies including marine, MURS, GMRS, FRS, commercial and municipal frequencies. Those frequencies are currently programmed for receive only so I don't inadvertently step over the line.
That is something I have yet to do on my KG-UV8D.....

side note----
I can't believe they lowered the price almost 50.00!

Software to open up the transmit channels: http://www.mtcradio.com/content/softwaredownloads/KG-UV8D Frequncy Limit setup.exe

I haven't looked at the software since we put it up on the MTC Radio site, but you should keep it within the specified design limits. In the case of the KG-UV8D the transmit limits are 134 - 174 MHz and 400 - 519 MHz. This is a hardware limitation. Some software will allow you to program limits like 900MHz in some Chinese radios. In reality, the VFO's will not do this.

It appears to do this but wiser HAMs than I have read the frequencies produced and found the above frequencies to work. Just because there is room in the display to hold a 900.000, doesn't mean the internal circuits can produce a signal at that frequency. Most likely it would be a rather unpredictable frequency where the most significant bits overflow into la-la land and what you're left with bears no resemblance to the frequency on the display. Again, stick with the hardware limits.

Keep in mind, I don't think hiding from the government is a realistic proposition if they want to find you. For less than $30 you can turn your Baofeng or any other FM radio into a pretty decent radio direction finder using the "Time of Arrival" method. http://www.handi-finder.com/ The big boys at the government can do it much better. The key is not to be the person they are looking for in the first place. My design ideas for concealing my location or data are aimed at the bad guys after SHTF. I figure FEMA will concentrate efforts closer to population centers at least at first. At least that counts for my tactical radio gear. (2 Meters / 70 centimeters). This "line-of-site" technology is for what is happening in my county. What I can expect to happen today or tomorrow. Communications with observation posts, patrols and neighbors.

For gathering and to a lesser degree, sharing information that I no longer trust the main stream media to report honestly, I rely on HF HAM radio. This is strategic radio and deals with what might happen next week, next month or even next year. This is the system most likely to be frowned on one day by the government. Since I want to listen a lot more than I want to talk on the strategic system and it is more difficult to pinpoint lower frequency signals, I am not so worried about these frequencies either.

Keep in mind, I don't think hiding from the government is a realistic proposition if they want to find you. For less than $30 you can turn your Baofeng or any other FM radio into a pretty decent radio direction finder using the "Time of Arrival" method. http://www.handi-finder.com/ The big boys at the government can do it much better. The key is not to be the person they are looking for in the first place. My design ideas for concealing my location or data are aimed at the bad guys after SHTF. I figure FEMA will concentrate efforts closer to population centers at least at first. At least that counts for my tactical radio gear. (2 Meters / 70 centimeters). This "line-of-site" technology is for what is happening in my county. What I can expect to happen today or tomorrow. Communications with observation posts, patrols and neighbors.
A lot of amateur radio clubs train people the art of triangulation through T-Hunts (Transmitter Hunting).

For gathering and to a lesser degree, sharing information that I no longer trust the main stream media to report honestly, I rely on HF HAM radio. This is strategic radio and deals with what might happen next week, next month or even next year. This is the system most likely to be frowned on one day by the government. Since I want to listen a lot more than I want to talk on the strategic system and it is more difficult to pinpoint lower frequency signals, I am not so worried about these frequencies either.
I too do a lot of info gathering via HF.

Hello all. I wanted to share my latest 2M/440 HT by Wouxun.

The reason I chose this is it is able to crossband, and the price is only $109.95 USD at HRO.

View attachment 4189

The only difference mine has is I added a Diamond SRH77CA Antenna (15 Inches Long).

Following is a quick showing if the features of the radio:

Features

• True Dual band Receive (VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF)
  • 8-Character Alpha-Numeric, Backlit Color LCD Display
  • Selectable high/low power settings (VHF: 5W high/1W low) (UHF: 4W high/1W low)
  • Includes extended life 1700 mAh high capacity li-ion battery as standard
  • Includes intelligent desktop 3-4 hour rapid charger
  • Loud speaker audio output (500 mW)
  • Bright flashlight illumination function
  • Meets IP55 waterproof rating
  • English female voice prompts enable non-sighted operation (can be turned off)
  • 999 channels memories (shared)
  • VOX Function
  • Digital FM radio (76-108MHz) with automatic tuning and storing, radio frequency display, 18 FM memories in 2 banks
  • Wide/narrow bandwidth selection (25 or 12.5 kHz)
  • Power on display: show battery voltage or color logo
  • Windows PC programmable, free software available for download. Optional low cost cable (SKU: WXUSB) required.
  • Radio to radio cloning with optional cable (SKU: WXCLN)
  • Same channel: VHF TX & UHF RX or UHF TX & VHF RX available
  • 105 groups DCS/50 groups CTCSS
  • 16-Key DTMF encoding
  • CTCSS encode/decode (with split tone capability)
  • Stopwatch function
  • SOS function
  • Low-voltage voice prompt
  • Busy channel lockout
  • Selectable transmit over timer (from 15 to 600 seconds)
  • Selectable step sizes of 2.5, 5, 6.25, 10, 12.5, 25 kHz
  • Multiple scan modes including priority scan
  • Keypad lock (auto or manual)
  • Programmable by computer or keypad
  • High contrast white backlit keypad. All keys are backlit (except A/B, S/D & RPT)

Read more: http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-ra...8d-dual-band-amateur-radio.html#ixzz3TBvhLeZW
Great little radios I am getting another one.

My kids, all licensed, each have a Baofeng UV-5RE. For the price they are hard to beat, and if they lose or break them I am not out a lot of money.
Key to the Boafeng, (HT's in general) is getting a longer antenna.
I am debating on getting the 8 watt Boafeng. Though, you have to be careful who you buy it from.
If you have ideas of who is good to get them from, let us know.

Looking back on this before I hit "send", I realize it looks like an advertisement. I don't make any money whatsoever from my blog.

There are uses for both types of radios in my mind. A UV5R radio is in the emergency kit carried in each of our vehicles and another is in the panic "go bag" while the final one is on a charger next to my bed. I keep the batteries in an outer pocket of the emergency and go kits so that every few days, I can swap the freshly charged battery from my nightstand radio with one of the emergency units with a minimum of fuss. This cost very little actually and is great insurance. The booger-picker that comes with the UV5R radios is pretty worthless, so there is a better radio-mounted antenna with each radio along with a roll-up slim-jim antenna made of 300 Ohm TV cable on the end of 10 feet of thin coax for when I need better height for the antenna (the thin coax, is pretty lossy but I think the height more than makes up for it). I agree with Northern Raider on the antenna. A common philosophy among ham operators is the antenna should cost as much or more than the radio. If the SHFT, I expect to be deploying a large number of these cheap radios as a means of wide area perimeter security (even using an abandoned neighbor's home as a honeypot between me and the population center) and even an intercom to be used with strangers: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/07/inexpensive-handheld-transceivers-in.html

I also own more than one Wouxun KG-UV8D radio. The reason is they can be used as a low-powered repeater when the need arises. When operating in a ravine, you might have trouble getting your signal out. The UV8D radio can be configured as an auxiliary repeater in a couple of seconds and literally hoisted into a tree. In a SHTF situation, it can be used to conceal your transmitter location. By the way, MTCRadio.com sells the UV8D for a few dollars more than the other place mentioned, but the MTCRadio version has the latest firmware and 2600mAh battery as standard equipment. Besides, my experience has been that MTCRadio simply sends you a new radio if there's a problem without making you jump through hoops or send the radio back to China for "warranty" service. When MTC buys these radios from China, they order extra "hold-back" stock and warranty replacements come from this, so there is minimal delay.
There's more information about unconventional uses for the KG-UV8D on my blog: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/06/ham-radio-new-toy-arrives.html

There is some information about how repeaters work here: http://firewallsrus.blogspot.com/2014/08/repeaters.html

If your responsibilities include a larger group, I think you should also have a mobile dual-band radio capable of cross-band repeat in your vehicle. The vehicle can be moved to a location and if needed, a portable mast can be erected or the antenna can be hoisted up a tower or tree because mobile radios have enough power to overcome feed line losses from having longer coax cables.
Great post. A lot of great info.

Well in my blog it is explained in a lot more detail, but FCC rules here in the US do allow transmission from a HAM radio on GMRS/FRS frequencies when a life is at stake. My KG-UV8Ds have all been "opened" up so that it can transmit on a wider range of frequencies including marine, MURS, GMRS, FRS, commercial and municipal frequencies. Those frequencies are currently programmed for receive only so I don't inadvertently step over the line.
In an emergency however, it will communicate with whoever it needs to (within the hardware limits) to save a life. In fact, it can be used in an emergency to cross-link two dissimilar radio services and thus works as a force multiplier.
I'm not trying to start an argument. It is illegal to transmit out of HAM bands with a radio not type-accepted and in some cases licensing is required for operations on a given band. Because of the Emergency Communications angle, I think it important that HAM operators know how to do it so we aren't having to learn under stress.
True. Mine are opened as well. We used to live in south east Oklahoma and ran drills with EM, City, County, And military. They loved the capabilites.

Latest posts

Back