Worst Places for a Prepper

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worst place for a prepper? ANYWHERE in the world where you are surrounded by millions of unprepared people! Trying to hold on to your preps and your neck will be like trying to hold back the tide. The best you can hope for is rapid egress...

Last edited:
Worst place for a prepper? ANYWHERE in the world where you are surrounded by millions of unprepared people! Trying to hold on to your preps and your neck will be like trying to hold back the tide. The best you can hope for is rapid egress...

Agreed!

Any place as Big Paul says is very bad, but if those millions of city dwellers are armed that makes it far worse because a bloodbath is inevitable.

Hello Guys,

It has been a few years after my Post , an update ,

I have now built my BOB where i take with me everywhere

I have a Supply for 1 week of water ( have to find a way to increase that)
Researched about the best food to store and i decided on
Peanut Butter
Oil tuna cans
Protein Bars
Snicker Bars
Herbal life Shakes ( water and calories at the same time)
Asian Beef Jerky

1 Small Knive
50 Feet of Paracord ( should get more )
1st aid kit
Lighters, matches
I want to get a Flint but i am afraid they are all of bad quality since many are from China and ive seen bad reviews
We do have the Gerber products here but i think those are over priced

Have my BOB with

Poncho
another 1st aid kit

Ive been excercising a little so lost 15 pounds

Some skills that I would like to learn is Lock picking. Although i have asked some locksmith to teach me , they dont want to. I tried to look online for the Lockpickin pins but i cant find them. maybe they are afraid i will be a thief or something.

since i Will be staying in the city I think this skill will be very useful to get into apartments ( HK is 90 % apartments) , Fleeting to New territories is a good idea, but without a Car or Motorcyle it will be hard.

Maybe a Crowbar would also be nice

Alvin we should meet up someday to talk about prepping and stuff and look for more preppers in Hong kong

For weapons unfortunately the only thing i could get was a baseball bat and some small knives . Maybe i Could do a Spear/walking stick .I am taking self defense classes

Is there any suggestions? I know there is a long way for me but will take any comments that are helpful

I live in Hong Kong too!
1)I have a few ideas If ur at home when it happens grab the biggest knife u can find
2)Go to the nearest Toys'r us and find hard solid weapons e.g baseball bat & golf club
3)Get to the nearest police station, as the police station will and most likely have weapons
4)After u got the weapons go find some food,water and shelter (There is more likely to be a shelter some where in the new territories as it is more isolated)
5)Try and find a radio of some sort to keep updated on the current situations.

Note: If it happens outside of home, do the same but if something is chasing u (myth busters zombie special, u can most likely out run it.
But if someone is shooting u (highly unlikely) or chasing u well try and run and if there is a corner hide behind it when he/she turns their head hit em hard and they'll probably be knocked out.

alvin we should meet someday . Prep together , Survive together

I like many others have my eyes opened because of that NAT GEO show , and even though they are getting kinda repetitive i am aware that i should be start prepping but ..

I live in Hong Kong !! NO SPACE , No weapons allowed, not even hunting knive,Not a lot of escape route and highly populated ..

Help !!!
Well if SHTF you can bet that heavily populated areas will be hit once major military targets have been taken out so you may have a little time . Personally ! I would scout around for a place in your down time that is much less populated to bugout to or even look into linking up with local preppers in the area who may have great places to bugout to ! there are alot of these groups out there and usually let you in if u have something to bring to the table! wether it be a vast knowledge in survivability or just a whole lot of prepping funds! Hmm do you own a boat ? find a small island lol . Have you been to Pok Fu Lam park ? or Victoria Peak ? could be possible bugout locations. i reccomend using google earth to check out islands off the coast and you can also see all the preservation lands great tool!

Last edited:
Welcome to an educated forum. I want you to know that I have been to Hong Kong but that was back when it was still run by the Brits. You have the huge Communist Party of China as your Big Brother now. My best advise for you is to become a student get a Passport to study in the U.S. and get out of there. Promise the Commies that you will come back to help build their massive machine.
I know that the Chinese people are extremely intelligent, even their guides spoke better English than I did. I moaned when the Brits pulled out of there and I was so surprised how smoothly that it went. And the same time I wondered why people didn't bail out like they did in Vietnam.
Good luck to you. And if you can't get out listen to my fellow Preppers or Survivalists they know what they're talking about.

Also of note: China is home to Gung Fu and lots and lots of fireworks. Nunchucks, hanbo, staff, canes, throwing stars are all part of that martial art and common place. Fireworks? Oh yeah! Get a few dozen of the big ones, light it and toss and without a tube to guide it, it instantly becomes one big distraction. Guaranteed to clear a room.
Even a rolled up magazine taped up with duct tape will serve as a weapon and even better if it's filled with rolls of coins. Rubber hoses filled with sand, doubled up socks can be filled with rocks or nails or a can of soda, travel sized bottle of booze can become mini molotovs, balloons filled with flour can be ignited after they are popped and the dust fills a room.
Just a few pointers...

I, too, live in Hong Kong. In the event of a relatively minor catastrophe, it can be a good place to be. The people here are generally a bit more pragmatic than in most places. One can look at the SARS epidemic or the current "yellow umbrella":revolt for examples of this. Some other things are highly unlikely, too, like a power outage, because of the way the infrastructure is. Another Hurricane Katrina? Heck, Hong Kong survives usually several typhoons a year, inluding something of that magnitude every few years. For MINOR things, this is actually a good place to be.

In a really BIG SHTF scenario, however, like a world-wide financial collapse, WW III, or something that dragged on for months and/or affected distribution channels severely, this would be the worst of all hellish nightmare locations. The population does not have nearly the same degree of "awareness" that is building in the States (although there is probably less risk here overall), and it's hard to find many prepper-minded people. Most people depend on getting groceries several times per week, or eating at restaurants. Interrupt the "just in time" deliveries, and you'll see shortages here in no time.

You can add to this a very interesting paradox. HK often ranks as the most free place in the world, and at this stage that is largely true. Police here are non-militarized, mostly friendly and helpful like the old American Mayberry stereotype. Behind that, however., lurks a seldom-thought-about machinery for a police state to emerge. There are cameras over many roads, the subway system and districts of Hong Kong, and aerial surveillance is conducted without being seen. People use a lot of the "Octopus" card and credit cards, and lately the government has even been collecting smaller coins from people - moves towards an all-electronic financial system. If the ATM machines go down or banks close, most people won't last two days financially. Gold and silver, once widely available and stacked in the store windows of shop after shop in an abundance that made my eyes bug out when I first came here, are now --except for lesser and limited amounts in some jewelry stores-- only available in quantity from certain branches of the Bank of China, and if you buy from them, there is a paper trail with your name attached. Everyone's address is supposed to be recorded with the government, by law, and the real estate system enforces that in most cases, The ubiquitous HK Identity card now carries an encoded thumbprint. There is a building here with over 300 offices in it, dedicated purely to spying for the Beijing Government. The PLA has troops garrisoned here, but they are kept virtually invisible to the general public (They are not allowed to wear uniforms or ID in public, and mostly stay on their bases.) In effect, although the people here live ostensibly "free" lives, all the infrastructure for a complete police state exists, un-noticed by most people.

Guns are outlawed, except for members of the two licensed gun clubs. If you pass the security checks, you can join a club and buy guns. The weapons themselves, however, must be imported for you directly by the club, and kept only on the club premises. At no time can you possess a gun outside of the club premises. The clubs are expensive and thus somewhat exclusive. Police and some licensed guards working for armored-car companies and jewelry stores can get special licenses to possess shotguns, but their use is also tightly controlled. Basically, survival or SHTF guns are not an option here. In a way, that is good. I read once that 15 percent of HK people have some degree of neurosis, personality disorder or other mental illness. You wouldn't know it, but in a SHTF scenario, you could see problems.

Weaponry, however, is not a huge problem. Bladed weapons are legal subject to certain restrictions. Everything from kitchen knives to meat cleavers to brush machetes are legally available. (Triad groups traditionally use bladed weapons like meat cleavers in attacks on their own.) You can have sporting weapons such as a fencing sword, for example, or even martial arts weapons including throwing knives, but all such weapons must be sheathed/fully enclosed when being transported in public. Owning them discretely at home is not a problem. Tools are also allowed, including pointed hammers, sledgehammers, wrenches and other convenient and non-conspicuous "weapons". Anyone can order an "unbreakable umbrella" online, and even find a martial arts instructor to help you use it better. I have also seen a few borderline/technically illegal weapons offered openly for sale here over the years, including flick-out batons, the older style (actual, surplus) police batons, fireman's axes and even a crossbow pistol. And of course there are improvised weapons, although possession of those might get you in trouble. I've also seen piles of heavy bolt-cutters for sale, both new and used. Occasionally surplus night-vision goggles hit the market, although I have yet to see state-of-the-art FLIR gear. Other para-military gear such as camouflage clothing is sold for people like paintballers, and useful things like space blankets are sold for camping purposes.

The biggest problem with the idea of "bugging out" to a "remote" location, is that there are basically NO remote enough locations in Hong Kong, unless you have a boat and wish to subsist alone and hiding on an otherwise un-inhabitable island. Even then, sooner or later the authorities will know you are there and might investigate. The New Territories is not the huge green area it once was; it is now fairly thoroughly developed, and covered with waste dumps and old shipping containers, and yes, neighbors. You might create a little enclave of like-minded survivalists on somewhere like Lamma Island, but you'd still be dependent to some extent on supplies from the mainland.

In short, while some types of things are survivable here, a MAJOR collapse would turn this place into a hell-hole. It was bad enough with semi-starvation under the Japanese Occupation years ago, but today it would be much worse, with millions more crowded into high-rise buildings (Hong Kong has more than 150 percent the number of 5-story buildings as New York, crowded into a much smaller developed area. It was the inspiration for the opening scenes of "Blade Runner", if that helps.)

I'm working towards buying farmland in a remote area of another country, and plan to leave here. That's my bug-out, because a bug-out in the usual sense is non-sensical in the context of HK. It may take me another 2-3 years, which will probably be too late (I'm not sure the American economy and US $ can hold out that long -?), but it's the best I can do for now. If that is not an option, stockpiling some food and water makes sense... if you can find the space in the extremely crowded environment here. Most people live in tiny, crowded apartments. Many of the newer ones have bedrooms that are not long enough for me to lie down in (they're only six feet square!), and "fake" kitchen cabinets and wardrobes that are only 6-8 inches deep! But for those living in roomier spaces, stocking up on supplies and having a bug-out plan to relocate makes sense. Actually re-locating now makes the most sense, since there is absolutely no guarantee that there will be time and opportunity to leave, once the S starts to HTF.

I just thought of a few more things people can do here in HK:

1. Get fit, physically. Build health and get off of any medications that you can (if you take any).
2. Start growing food using space-efficient means like aquaponics and windowsill gardens. Preserve good, organic food by canning, dehydrating, etc...
3. Assemble a good medical/first aid kit.
4. Develop skills, including ones that might not be useful here, but which would be after a relocation.
5. Stockpile gold and silver against a currency collapse.
6. Hold cash somewhere safe outside of a bank. (There are a few safe document storage companies in HK, if you trust them. Also bullion companies that will store your PMs.)
7. Develop income-earning ability that is transportable to other places. Online earning is great, assuming the Internet survives, but a combination of that and more "universal" skills is best.
8. Try to acquire residency and citizenship/passports in other, safer areas to at least give you a legal chance to relocate.
9. Water filtration (everyone should have that, anyway, as the tap water is not as good here as the government claims).
10. Diversify ahead of time, moving some assets into other jurisdictions and developing relationships with people elsewhere.

Pretty much any major SHTF scenario has the power grid going down (no matter how good your infrastructure is...if people don't show up for work to run it, it fails).

That alone, in a major city, is going to send it into complete anarchy. Couple it with the other inevitable factors in a true SHTF scenario (lack of police, emergency services, loss of communications, loss of sanitation, etc.) and you've got a real nightmare on your hands.

Can you imagine trying to LEAVE Hong Kong in a true major disaster? The harbors, the bridges?

trying to get out of any city would be a nightmare, most cities in the UK seem to be either on or very near a motorway these days and most sheeple don't go on anything but motorways, it wont take long given the inevitable breakdowns/crashes/out of fuel etc etc for the motorways to resemble an open air car park.

Hello Guys,

It has been a few years after my Post , an update ,

I have now built my BOB where i take with me everywhere

I have a Supply for 1 week of water ( have to find a way to increase that)
Researched about the best food to store and i decided on
Peanut Butter
Oil tuna cans
Protein Bars
Snicker Bars
Herbal life Shakes ( water and calories at the same time)
Asian Beef Jerky

1 Small Knive
50 Feet of Paracord ( should get more )
1st aid kit
Lighters, matches
I want to get a Flint but i am afraid they are all of bad quality since many are from China and ive seen bad reviews
We do have the Gerber products here but i think those are over priced

Have my BOB with

Poncho
another 1st aid kit

Ive been excercising a little so lost 15 pounds

Some skills that I would like to learn is Lock picking. Although i have asked some locksmith to teach me , they dont want to. I tried to look online for the Lockpickin pins but i cant find them. maybe they are afraid i will be a thief or something.

since i Will be staying in the city I think this skill will be very useful to get into apartments ( HK is 90 % apartments) , Fleeting to New territories is a good idea, but without a Car or Motorcyle it will be hard.

Alvin we should meet up someday to talk about prepping and stuff and look for more preppers in Hong kong

For weapons unfortunately the only thing i could get was a baseball bat and some small knives . Maybe i Could do a Spear/walking stick .I am taking self defense classes

Is there any suggestions? I know there is a long way for me but will take any comments that are helpful

Look for a pry bar instead, smaller, and flatter, but same function, slightly less leverage....but way easier to pack and carry. It's what I have in my GHB/BOB.

Latest posts

Back