Worms And Gardening

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
Gardening and learning how to garden will more than likely be essential once SHTF.
Its food that you dont have to hunt, or make traps for.
I myself am a beginner gardener, but i do have some tips that might help once you've decided to start gardening in your destination or homestead.

As compost, or manure, or even miracle grow probably wont be too available when shtf, I would suggest putting some really good compost, or manure in a breathable container for your bug bag.
if you think about it, most destinations probably wont have the most firtle ground in which to grow food in. at least having a 1lb container of compost etc. will help you get started on at least 1 or a few veggies.
Also, unless you plan to take some, when SHTF, and your out scouting, take the time to dig up in parks or fertal earth and find worms. ya gross to some right? but having worms can really help out your long term gardening plans in the long run.
Worm fecal matter is some of the best compost you can get, although it takes a while to produce, the more worms you have, the more compost they'll produce.
also, as gross as this sounds, worm tea is a really great fertilizer too, and is even sold, along with worm compost, on the open market, as worm gold, and a few other names.
for straight worm tea, mix about a cup to a gallon of water, and watch your veggies take off.

For the bug in people, they sell whats called worm compost boxes, or worm factories where you can breed your worms, and collect not only the compost but the tea can be collected in bottles from a spout at the bottom.
because most of us wont have cows, horses, or a lot of other animals that produce good manuer/compost, this may be a great idea to have an ongoing compost cachet.
also, once you've bread a mass amount of worms, putting them into your garden will help it out quite a bit as well.

I have laughed untill I peed myself, I think I broke my damn chair when I fell out of it.
I Loved this post, it made my day. I love ya'll city people.

But to keep any other rednecks from hurting themselves would you please edit your post to change all the worm pee, to worm tea.
Worm castings (worm gold) is soaked in water to release the nutrients that are in it= making worm tea.
same thing that would be dripping from a composter with too much water added. This is not a healthy situation for the worms.
A worm cannot pee.

Also some usefull info to some would be composting worms ability to eat many times its own weight every day. (in large composting arenas) in small areas they wont be so healthy so only 1/2 thier weight or so.

Worms you dig up will not be composting worms, nor will they do well in confined spaces. worms you dig up will be burrowing worms.
Composting worms could only be put in your garden if there is a high % of composables in the soil. Composting worms and burrowing worms are 2 different things. composting worms dont process soil, they actually "graze" on the protozoans, fungis and microbes in the composting materials, keeping it "turned" so that it composts more quickly.
In the wild composting worms would be found ....................... composting not in soil. in stumps and leaves piles.

Here is the good part. Any bait shop will have them. Red wigglers are composting worms. and they will double every 3 months, if you start with a couple of packs, 100 worms= in a year you will have 1,600 worms, average 1,000 worms to a lb.

It is still a great post, and I hope to see more like it.

I have laughed untill I peed myself, I think I broke my damn chair when I fell out of it.

But to keep any other rednecks from hurting themselves would you please edit your post to change all the worm pee, to worm tea.
Changes were made.

Worm castings (worm gold) is soaked in water to release the nutrients that are in it= making worm tea.
same thing that would be dripping from a composter with too much water added. This is not a healthy situation for the worms.
A worm cannot pee.

Also some usefull info to some would be composting worms ability to eat many times its own weight every day. (in large composting arenas) in small areas they wont be so healthy so only 1/2 thier weight or so.

Worms you dig up will not be composting worms, nor will they do well in confined spaces. worms you dig up will be burrowing worms.
Composting worms could only be put in your garden if there is a high % of composables in the soil. Composting worms and burrowing worms are 2 different things. composting worms dont process soil, they actually "graze" on the protozoans, fungis and microbes in the composting materials, keeping it "turned" so that it composts more quickly.
In the wild composting worms would be found ....................... composting not in soil. in stumps and leaves piles.

Here is the good part. Any bait shop will have them. Red wigglers are composting worms. and they will double every 3 months, if you start with a couple of packs, 100 worms= in a year you will have 1,600 worms, average 1,000 worms to a lb.

It is still a great post, and I hope to see more like it.
Why change the post ? he says pee, you say tea, whats the big deal ?

i beg to differ.
although it becomes worm tea with a mixture of water/oxigen before its properly used it is still piss.

LOL, oh my god, this is just too much fun. I LOVE THIS SITE
If you can seperate the pee from the mixture of all the other things in it, then you are good.
Maybe we have a geographic slang issue, down south we say creek, north east they say crick.
Every 5th grade science class teaches that a worm does not pee any more than a chicken does.
the pee is mixed back in the feces of both, and comes out of thier bodies as a single waste.
In fact I assume thats about the time that we all learn that almost no other animals other than mamals, Pee.

Very few people I have ever met at the green shows (plant nurserys Expos) have ever mentioned oxygen in the "tea".
Probably because of the trouble it takes to put oxygen into the mix. (airating the "tea" between the casting system and the actual use of the "tea"). The microbes quickly use up any oxygen in the water that you pour through the castings, if you dont immediatly use it.

I have again found this post amusing, But I will leave it this time with a request.
In the first post by Krime he said:
worm pee is a really great fertilizer too, and is even sold, along with worm compost, on the open market, as worm gold

Normaly when someone mentions one product, sold along with another, it would be understood as being 2 products sold seperatly, but expected to be side by side on the shelf. and in fact uncle wigglys sells premade worm tea(not pee on thier label)

So here is my request,
Can someone please find me a place to order worm pee from, thats P ee?
or
Can anyone find me a place where it says I can get worm pee from my worm castings?

LOL, oh my god, this is just too much fun. I LOVE THIS SITE
If you can seperate the pee from the mixture of all the other things in it, then you are good.
Maybe we have a geographic slang issue, down south we say creek, north east they say crick.
Every 5th grade science class teaches that a worm does not pee any more than a chicken does.
the pee is mixed back in the feces of both, and comes out of thier bodies as a single waste.
In fact I assume thats about the time that we all learn that almost no other animals other than mamals, Pee.

Very few people I have ever met at the green shows (plant nurserys Expos) have ever mentioned oxygen in the "tea".
Probably because of the trouble it takes to put oxygen into the mix. (airating the "tea" between the casting system and the actual use of the "tea"). The microbes quickly use up any oxygen in the water that you pour through the castings, if you dont immediatly use it.

I have again found this post amusing, But I will leave it this time with a request.
In the first post by Krime he said:
worm pee is a really great fertilizer too, and is even sold, along with worm compost, on the open market, as worm gold

Normaly when someone mentions one product, sold along with another, it would be understood as being 2 products sold seperatly, but expected to be side by side on the shelf. and in fact uncle wigglys sells premade worm tea(not pee on thier label)

So here is my request,
Can someone please find me a place to order worm pee from, thats P ee?
or
Can anyone find me a place where it says I can get worm pee from my worm castings?
I wouldn't find you !@%$

Interesting choice of words, sort of ironic that that is all you could find for me on the subject.
I forgive you for your hostilitys, though it seems to be repetitive.
This is to be expected from young men who have thier intellect challenged. As you get older you will grow out of it, either actually enjoying the reciept of real information over the myths/mistruths you hear about, or just shaking off a schooling, and moving on.

Interesting choice of words, sort of ironic that that is all you could find for me on the subject.
I forgive you for your hostilitys, though it seems to be repetitive.
This is to be expected from young men who have thier intellect challenged. As you get older you will grow out of it, either actually enjoying the reciept of real information over the myths/mistruths you hear about, or just shaking off a schooling, and moving on.
Hate to break it to you but you are the hostile one, you are very clever with your word selection, and you always get your little dig in. This site sucks know you are on it, I wish you would leave. Sure that's not the first time you have heard that. Maybe if you were not such a know it all people could stand you a little more. I will sum it up for you LEAVE.

I am sorry, for your insecuritys. However I believe that most people come here for information.
Information does people no good if it is not true information.
I am not a know it all, I just know more about some things than some people, and they will know more about other things than me.
There is a reason for that.
I set aside my pride, and I listen to those who try and help me learn more.
Then I do my own research, so I can be knowledgable enough about the subject to go back and ask questions about what I dont understand about it.
This in turn does 2 things, 1 it shows whomever I was first discussing it with that I was interested in thier conversation, and was listening. 2 it shows an eagerness to learn more, which opens up the door to more subjects. I find that most people are most willing to to discuss even contravirtial topics on a personal level once I have proven myself worth thier effort.

Krime had been given misinformation about worm tea, I wanted to help him learn what the real term was, as this is a Great subject that he brought up, that has since been derailed by personal hostilitys, in which noone is the wiser for. I know this because there is no information been added by you, not even enough to further the conversation, nor prove me wrong.

In turn Krime has led me to believe that I have underestimated the safe distance that my wells are from Catastrophy areas.
Sorry Colt, I cant think of everything, the devil is in the details. Thats why I am here.
More research will shed light to the subject, and I will better informed on the suject. I left that post with simply a respectable "interesting". because I cannot continue the conversation without more knowledge on the distance in which is safe. When I get enough information to feel that I can conversate on the subject, I will continue the conversation, picking his brain for more information.

I know what I know because I took the time and effort to learn about them, and because of the lifestyle I live.
Knowledge is power, it is in everyday life, as well as it will be post-whatever happens.
I refuse to go through life, taking everyones word as Gospel.
I have learned from you, I learn from everyone.

Please shake off that chip on your shoulder, let us find common ground.
I am the way I am, You are too.
You are not helping yourself, nor the site as a whole, when you lash out the way you do.
When other members and guests continuosly see your outbreaks, it will begin to call into question the credibility of everything else you say.
You have more to offer us all than that.
Why dont you add information to this thread about this thread?
It is a great subject that needs gotten back to.

Insult after insult after insult, Lets hear from everybody else, I will gladly bow out if it's me. If it is you, hit the road. Sound like a deal ?

woooh settle down people!

tbh im not the least bit offended.

Hades, you're 100% correct that the "pee" is cast with the fecal matter, however it is still a liquid waste considered to be "pee".
if you want the straight "pee" my landlord sells it. though it, as far as i was told, needs to be mixed with water and airiated, thereby making the "tea".
if oxegen was that important of an aspect, microb wise, it wouldnt be mixed with water to begin with one would think, as the bases for water is H2O.
when i get the "pee" i use 1 part "pee" and 3 parts water, then use a straw to blow air through it.
My garden could speak for itself. if it was in full bloom atm, i would send pictures.

Krime, I truly mean no disrespect. Your landlord has been missinformed, and is passing it on down to you.
I feel that you will look for more info elsewhere and base your decision on wether to continue calling it that for yourself.
call it worm pee, call it biblly bubbly worm juice miracle grower, call it anything you want but noone that doesnt know your landlord, will be lost looking for it, because except in your circle, worm pee is unknown. I think we owe people looking for more information on something the means to find what they are looking for.

I did a yahoo search for worm pee for sale , in the whole world wide web there is not a hit for worm pee for sale,
24,200,000 hits for worm tea for sale.
how to make worm pee nope not there
How to make worm tea 650,000,000

thats millions to none.
I may still be mistaken, please show me a credible link to either.

Interesting concept isnt it, water is absolutly made partly of oxygen, yet even in a fishtank without an air defuser or a top filter to move the surface of the water Oxygen cannot be transfered and even fish will die in a tankfull of water for no oxygen.Same for microbes, remember the other wastes in the castings are still rotting and making gasses of thier own.

Here is the first 2 paragraphs from http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/dissolvedoxygen.html that may be usefull to some

You can't tell by looking at water that there is oxygen in it (unless you remember that chemical makeup of a water molecule is hydrogen and oxygen). But, if you look at a closed bottle of a soft drink, you don't see the carbon dioxide dissolved in that - until you shake it up and open the top. The oxygen dissolved in lakes, rivers, and oceans is crucial for the organisms and creatures living in it. As the amount of dissolved oxygen drops below normal levels in water bodies, the water quality is harmed and creatures begin to die off. Indeed, a water body can "die", a process called eutrophication.
Although water molecules contain an oxygen atom, this oxygen is not what is needed by aquatic organisms living in natural waters. A small amount of oxygen, up to about ten molecules of oxygen per million of water, is actually dissolved in water. Oxygen enters a stream mainly from the atmosphere and, in areas where ground-water discharge into streams is a large portion of streamflow, from groundwater discharge. This dissolved oxygen is breathed by fish and zooplankton and is needed by them to survive

Every college with agriculture courses will have simular,
your a search away, with do microbes need disolved oxygen in water.

Back to the tea.To be technical airation is done, to promote a microbial "bloom" in the tea, This cannot be done in the length of time that someone is blowing the straw.
This as you can very well see in your own garden is not a needed step for the average user, I do not need the extra trouble myself. as just straight tea works great for most everyone.

I very well believe your garden is doing very well. Anyone using worm tea could expect the same results.

Krime, I feel we are both men enough to agree to disagree.
That is the best part of a friendship. It is our differences that make each other interesting.
This is still a great subject to bring to attention of others. Thank you for bringing it up.

Latest posts

Back