Wood stove chimney

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash builds up creosote fairly quick. One thing that helps is an insulated chimney pipe, one of those dual layer ones. I usually never adjust the damper, but every week I give it a turn. When I hear the creosote building up on it, I clean everything. It usually gets done every 6 to 8 weeks when I burn ash. In fact, mine needs cleaning tomorrow.

Edit: that creosote is flammable and is the primary cause of chimney fires. I would recommend not letting it build up more than half an inch before cleaning it.

I know we have build up right now that is going to have to get cleaned out soon. Since we have 2 elbows, it only makes it harder to clean out. So if you put in a wood stove, make sure it is easily cleaned straight up! You have to be on our roof to clean out (and I really HATE heights) parts of it and the other down in the bedroom banging on it to fall off. Sometimes you need to take apart and put back together. That is my world now that Hunny is getting older in life. If anyone knows a simpler way, please let me know. We try to burn oak mainly, but also pecan and hackberry.

I know we have build up right now that is going to have to get cleaned out soon. Since we have 2 elbows, it only makes it harder to clean out. So if you put in a wood stove, make sure it is easily cleaned straight up! You have to be on our roof to clean out (and I really HATE heights) parts of it and the other down in the bedroom banging on it to fall off. Sometimes you need to take apart and put back together. That is my world now that Hunny is getting older in life. If anyone knows a simpler way, please let me know. We try to burn oak mainly, but also pecan and hackberry.
45s rather than 90s elbows make it easier to get a brush down, But take more space.
Most of mine have been fireplace conversions to hearth stoves or inserts. Did have one pellet stove that was pretty sweet.

Burn only dry firewood, hardwood is best if you have it in your area. If you're getting a lot of creosote build up leave the damper open so it'll burn hot. We burn only dry doug fir and larch. There's no hardwood where we live. I clean our chimney out every fall. I've got 2 elbows on my stove pipe and use a cleaning brush with a flexible extension on the last section.

This is a new EPA clean burning stove, this may be the problem!

Bingo, you found the problem. That thing is full of smog equipment. It could be one or more things. When I buy a stove, I either rip them if within reach or I buy one of the bolt together cheapy stoves which lets me unbolt them, rip everything out, and then reassemble it. I have done this twice. An EPA stove is worthless as a heater and just plugs up.

Open the damper as stated above. The dryer the wood the better but depending on wood species some buildup will just happen. Also, you an try one of those cleaning logs which burn and clean out the system. It is a lot easier than brushing but you need to do it every month or every other month in the winter.

YES!!! those are the problem. The gasses get cooled too much and the chimney acts like a condenser with barely enough updraft to get the smoke out.
Those EPA stoves have caused lots of house fires, they dont allow for a fast enough air flow so that cresote dont collect!!, have burned down many houses!!! They require LOTS more maintenance!!

I haven't bought one in quite a while. Lopi and Vermont Castings used to be considered top of the line many moons ago.
Cast iron is preferable to steel. It holds heat better
Since you purchase wood, you may want to consider a Pellet stove. Pour bag into hopper, some have a battery backup hookups to run the auger. But they require triple wall chimney, but hardly needs cleaning.

Latest posts

Back