Winter Weather Folklore

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe I've seen so many walnuts and hickory nuts as this year. Food for animals during bad Winter (?)
I'm going to harvest as many as possibly for a food source in case we run low.

The wooly worms I am seeing are grey with a dark stripe. No idea what that means.

I don't believe I've seen so many walnuts and hickory nuts as this year. Food for animals during bad Winter (?)
I'm going to harvest as many as possibly for a food source in case we run low.
It's raining hickory nuts at my daughter's house. Two different types of hickory trees. Stand still too long under one and you'll get hit in the head.

I may have posted this before but it is still amusing. I asked a tribal friend of mine how the coming winter was going to be. "Much deep snow and very cold." "How do you know?." I ask "Is it the fur on a bison's chin, Are the chipmunks storing more nuts? Did the leaves fall off the tree early?"
"No,no,no." He replied. "I know because White Man stack much wood".

Like the Indian "weather stone" they sell to the tourists...
A tripod with a leather band and a stone hanging from the middle of the tripod.
A little sign comes with it:
If the rock is wet: it is raining
If the rock is white: it is snowing
If the rock is moving: it is windy
If the rock is not visible: it is foggy
If the rock is gone: it was the Great Spirit

We are working on winterizing the place. Blow out all the underground sprinklers. Check and change antifreeze in everything water cooled. Change oil and filter in the big generator. Make sure all tools are stored, because if you don't, you won't see them again until Spring. Look at the wood shed and feel happy. Stock up on bird seed. Cover the asparagus and strawberries. Seal all the gaps around the doors and windows. Explain to Jackie (tropical fish) why I don't give her any more grasshoppers. Fill all the fuel cans. Check the survival kits in all the vehicles. That does it. There is always something I wish I had done. But come winter I can say "Bring it on!"

We are working on winterizing the place.
Doing the same here, we got the first frost last night and the northern border of our little land just got 40 cm of snow...about 15 inches. It is supposed to get up to over 20°C next week also...crazy weather. Got my first two steel post feet into the terrace today and can start getting the complicated nut and feather cuttings on the support legs, master brace and rafters on the roof of the terrace. Trying to build it in the old fashioned way without nails and screws or metal braces. Just proper cuts, tight fit and glue and maybe some wooden handcarved pegs.
Filling the jerry cans and checking all the water well and underground piping and getting them wrapped or covered with styrofoam. If it gets really cold they will freeze, even at three feet deep.

About 40 years ago a friend of mine built a 1 room cabin off the grid for him and his wife. He did not use a single nail or screw. Just a hand auger and a hammer to drive the pegs in. Then one winter a tree blew over and landed on it. Big tree. The cabin was fine. The tree broke in three places.

Latest posts

Back