Winter preps,

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
this is something that doesn't affect all here,but it would be interesting to read how people here
prep for winter, changes in bob's, shelters,heating and food.

personally don't like the cold,but living where I live it comes wether I like it or not,also new ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
I have two plus years worth of firewood cut an stacked. Here it’s not essential but I like a wood fire. I am redoing my deck here and will add a wood cook kitchen on it too. I as far as the 4 or 5 really cold days we get here, I plan to just stay home on them!

I have two plus years worth of firewood cut an stacked. Here it’s not essential but I like a wood fire. I am redoing my deck here and will add a wood cook kitchen on it too. I as far as the 4 or 5 really cold days we get here, I plan to just stay home on them!

Do tell about the design of the outdoor wood cook kitchen!

The only thing that really changes for me is what I keep in my car. I have bags designated with Summer and Winter apparel. They usually get swapped out around October and April. The Winter kit will include gloves, scarves, and hats. If it is cold there is a 99.9% chance I will be wearing a coat. The rest of the time my car kit will suffice for all seasons.

Our Winters are not that severe that we have to do anything to our house or cars. When I know the temperature will drop well below freezing I will put a can of HEET in each gas tank, which can also work as a fire starter if you had to use it as such.

The older I get the more I hate Winter. I am very lucky that my commute, if I ever have one again, is very short.

Winter preps for me are things like making sure my deer rifle is zeroed in, LOL.
Me as well, scopes are zeroed in , skinning knives sharpened and plenty vacuum seal bags. I also have a backup rifle ready in case something happens to the first one, I sometimes have a older disabled gentlemen that may hunt with me before it gets too cold out, he has had a lot of back surgery and can’t take the cold very well. Deer season is a go.

We have plenty of wood cut for the wood stove since we didn't have to burn any of it last year. Just installed a new AC/heat pump that manages the entire cabin just fine. If it goes out or we lose power, we have lots of wool blankets and quilts, silk thermal underwear and wool socks for the occasional real cold night. The place was very well-insulated when built, which really helps. Plus it doesn't get that cold that often in Central Texas. That said, it did stay in the teens for nearly 2 straight weeks 4 years ago. Due to our ignorance, the pipe between the kitchen and bathroom (outside wall and under the floor) did freeze and burst. We had not opened ALL valves to drain the lines completely/properly and the one leading to the toilet was the problem. That valve was hidden in the closet. Now we know what we needed to to there, that scenario likely won't ever happen again. Sure don't want a repeat of those $$$ repairs.

mild winters here.we had only gotten snow once from 2007 up until this last February, when we got the freezing temps, snow and ice,and several hours of no power.so I've been updating my winter preps.a buddy heater.spikes that I can wear on my boots.and a fan for the heater. IMG_20210530_124949_3.jpgIMG_20210528_115844_9.jpg

Is that a propane Buddy?

mild winters here.we had only gotten snow once from 2007 up until this last February, when we got the freezing temps, snow and ice,and several hours of no power.so I've been updating my winter preps.a buddy heater.spikes that I can wear on my boots.and a fan for the heater.View attachment 12764View attachment 12765
[/QUOTE

Is that a propane Buddy heater?

Latest posts

Back