Winter preps,

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in NE I definitely have to consider winter when doing my preps. I keep a box in the back of my truck with my get home bags. Most of the stuff stays in there year round but in the winter I do add a couple of lightweight wool blankets to supplement the sleeping bags. I also keep several more propane bottles for my portable stove in case I have to ever use it for an emergency heat source. Also keep a small bag with mittens, baklava's, thermals, and warm socks among other things that gets added in late fall.

I have two plus years worth of firewood cut an stacked. Here it’s not essential but I like a wood fire. I am redoing my deck here and will add a wood cook kitchen on it too. I as far as the 4 or 5 really cold days we get here, I plan to just stay home on them!

Firewood is definitely a prep in my mind. You can never have too much firewood on hand. A generator and fuel go along with this for me as does fuel for the truck.

I do have an extra bag for winter also. Blanket, gloves, socks, two balaclava head-coverings, fire-starters, butane stove, chocolates...the typical extras for a cold emergency. More for others involved than for myself in a traffic jam or other problem. My BOB is usually enough for myself. We all have such things, but has anyone ever had to use their preps??? So far I have only had to sleep in the car once and only once needed the ax to chop apart 6 trees which had fallen down on the street during a storm so I could get back home.
How about you guys?

It get really cold where I live. Always has always will. The thought of someone freezing to death is silly. If you don't have a warm place to stay do what the birds do, go south. The last time I heard of people freezing to death was when some tribal kids stole a bottle of vodka and passed out, up on a logging road. That was a tragedy. But it was their own folly. Shame on their parents. Wood only costs a few dollars a cord, if you do the work. Yes there is gas and chainsaws and labor. But you have a warm house and a place to cook. Even a warm place to go to the bathroom.

Adding to the get home bag in my car, based on stuff people posted here so thank you.
Small camping stove
thermals
warm socks
extra mittens and hat.
plus blankets and sleeping bag I already have
will keep this stuff in a nice tidy organizer in the car.

Wool always came out first in Nuclear Tests done by the U.S. Government. They dressed animals in different clothing materials and put them in cages in line of sight of the bomb. Wool always provided the "most" protection...
More importantly it keeps you warm when wet, and doesn't retain odors like other materials. And that has been known for thousands of years.

One thing I always put in my vehicle survival kits is a paperback book. Sound silly? If you are stuck in a sub-0 blizzard and may be there for a while instead of doing something foolish read the book. It may take your mind off the present and won't slow down the rescuers at all.

One thing I always put in my vehicle survival kits is a paperback book. Sound silly? If you are stuck in a sub-0 blizzard and may be there for a while instead of doing something foolish read the book. It may take your mind off the present and won't slow down the rescuers at all.
"Rescuers"? Around here I'm my own rescue party. When I head out on the trap line the wife has no idea where I might end up at. I do plan on getting some radios some day.
But I like your book idea. May have to add one to my everyday carry pack.

Wool always provided the "most" protection...
There was a flash fire on an Navy vessel and the only ones who survived were the lower class seamen. The officers were wearing their nice comfy and light chemical thread and material uniforms and the material melted, stuck to their skin and actually cooked them inside their own uniforms. The seamen were wearing cotton and it blackened but did not burn or melt, they had burns but survived...terrible. All natural fibers are better against fire, but the newest fibers from PET and such are actually warmer.
I have two down sleeping bags hanging in the camper trailer since you cannot fold or roll anything with down feathers except for the packing to go camping or you will permanently crush the feathers and destroy their ability to insulate. The other two bags are hollow-fill bags and my best bags are military arctic bags with outer liners against moisture.
I also still keep the oldest blankets made of wool on hand for the worst scenarios of cold.

we're having a late running fall - only one short period dip in the temps - the trees haven't even begun to change colors or shed >> no winter thoughts for the majority

it'll hit like a hammer one day soon and then the rush will be on >>>>

Airing out and running the sleeping bags and extra blankets thru the dryer to keep them fresh. Checking the winter bag of extra warm things that goes into the car after the first frost. Cut and split about a ton of acacia wood and got it stacked dry under the un-used pigpen roofed area. Changed the oil and filter in the car and checked the antifreeze. Doing the normal things to get ready for the colder days and nights...nothing big. Live free, Gary

I’m with bigpaul here. Living in the south kind of sucks mid summer but it really pays off during winters. We might get a snow or two but within a couple days it’s gone and nice again. I consider anything under 50 to be an Arctic blast here! I built the house here with 6” thick walls for the insulation but it’s to keep the heat out more than in.

Growing up in WNY, I considered winter weather in my bugout trailer. I have 0 degree rated sleeping bags where the weather barely gets below 30. If the weather gets too inclement for a tent, I can squeeze the cots in the tack room or the back of the horse trailer. Trailer will still hold in heat. Dealing with heat was a bigger concern for me. I do have a couple of rechargeable tool fans to help with that.
Prepping for winter around the house right now is on my mind. I gotta get a couple cord in from a field before the rain starts. Kinda still on a back burner when it was 98 today.

Latest posts

Back