Winter bug out/get home bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petoski

God Like
Reaction score
I am trying to put together a bag. The issue I am having is trying to figure out the best shelter options for a typical Finnish winter. Last year it was -30c here. Obviously I don't want to be carrying around a great big lump of a sleeping bag and I normally don't like to part with too much of my money. Any ideas on a good setup? I was thinking along the lines of a wool blanket and bivvy. Anyone have any experience of camping out in those types of temperatures?

yup, did it back in -86 , had a wool blanket and a sleepingpad and a tent, it's doable if you have a heat source like a stove,was it cold?
sure it was.
the trick back then was to keep your feet dry, boots dry and the miracle fiber was ; wool.
as little snow under you as possible,spruce branches on the ground for insulation,so you'll have to work for that tent place

Yep, do it every winter. In my everyday winter carry bag I have; extra insulated gloves, extra winter hat, wool blanket, hatchet, Bowie knife, wool socks, small canvas tarp, emergency reflective blankets, canned and or freeze dried food, fire starter, storm proof matches, wax cubes mixed with wood shavings or dryer lint, 50' of rope, small animal snares, small flashlight with spare batteries and extra ammo.
Many of these items I use every winter, when I get stuck in the snow or if I run late on the trap line.

My advice is get the thickest, heaviest sleeping bag you can. If this is for the car then your fine, vs having to carry it on your back on a long hike. Sleeping in the freezing cold sucks. Sure you can survive with a wool blanket, but since carrying the extra weight isn’t a problem, add a little extra comfort.

I think maybe the most important would be to keep dry, and to insulate from the ground. If you can do those things then good wool blankets should do the rest. It will still be cold but hopefully you'll survive.
Of course my advice is not to be in places where it's so cold but in Finland guess you don't have much choice o_O

Nato 58 pattern Sleeping bag* inside plastic survival bag, on an insulation mat, sleeping in Norwegian army zip neck fleece shirt

Or your own nations milspec standard bag.

Once a wool blankets gets wet from the weather or sweat it loses its insulation properties and just gets very heavy. if its a blanket you need then consider TWO fleece blankets. But modern ex military sleeping bags are very good and quite cheap.

I had a bed bug infestation at home. It took forever to get rid of them and they drove me nearly insane with the itching up and down my legs. I threw away the mattress and covers and used diatomaceous earth, foggers, insecticide spray, and even fly paper on the sides of my bed, but it wasn't until I found their nest in a crack in the bedframe that I was able to completely eradicate them.

Latest posts

Back