Will you share with the unprepared?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to the forum, but Ive been lurking on here for a bit and finally decided to join up. Like most of you, its fam 1st and if anything or room is left then maybe others but only if they can pull their wt. We've got a couple of former military guys in our fam including myself, a master mechanic, a welder, and 2 RNs and thats just the immediate family. With a few acres, I would like to be able to help other if things go bad but....it may be every man for himself out there.

dollar isn't worth much, OK Ive got a blast match and some jute twine, now that is a auction....lol

"Teach a man to fish", in a SHTF scenario, would probably become "Teach a man to make a fishing pole". But I wouldn't give any more than that. At least, not until he brings ME some fish...

I probably wouldn't share. I need to take care of my family first. Yeah the SHTF but that don't mean that you can come to me and expect to be fed and watered. You would have to earn it. Still it would be hard to share. When you don't got much you have to make do with what you got with the ones that are more important. You come to me might as well keep walking.

I personaly will not help those who dont help themselves now if my nonprepping buddy showes up asking for help well he will no longer be a buddy he will work and earn his place on my property I have been tossing the idea around of buying more land and setting up a full scale cape type property a few cabins and safe bunkers and stuff that would be like a small village in a shtf scenario

I wouldn't even build extra cabins. If your buddy comes to you make him earn his due by building his own cabin. At least you don't have to work so hard before.

Apparently it is the opinion of at least one federally employed (I assume) emergency manager that preppers are selfish for prepping and hoarding supplies. She seems to think that preppers should have some kind of community outreach program and anything we stock up on (food, supplies, etc.) should be given to the community when a disaster strikes or in a SHTF scenario.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/are-preppers-responsible-for-the-unprepared/

While I am fairly new to actively prepping, its something I have thought about and discussed for many years. Not sure about everyone elses experience is, but from my experience, discussing prepping and such with 95% of other people results in odd glances from the corner of their eyes at best.

That being the case, how am I responsible for helping anyone that considered me eccentric or a crackpot when/if SHTF. My answer: I'm not. Under no circumstances will I take one morsel of food away from my immediate family to give to an able bodied person that did absolutely nothing. It goes without saying that I will help the young, elderly, sick, or those otherwise unable.....to a degree.

Basically it is not my responsibility to help those who refused to help themselves.

i dont believe the government will be helping my family in our time of need not without a catch.. so i will help others running from government and end times tribulation times but not too many other than that :))

It is in my nature to help people, even though it may jeopardise my own well being.
So I'll do it half way:
Those who have decided to prep I will help. Especially the new to prepping or in a similar situation I am, we need to help each other when possible. They might have a surplus of things I need, and likewise I have a surplus of things they need. It's called trading.
Those who have always stated prepping is stupid and called all of us who prep "nuts", you made your decision. it was a bad one, now take responsibility for it. In other words, Not My Problem. Now get off my property!

There are a couple of people who have seen some of my preps because they were here when the items arrived. They have made the statement that if the SHTF they know where to come and I was VERY BLUNT with them and told them to stay away if they were not prepping for themselves, I am not the store!

I have neighbors who are very old school who are older, and are very prepared. If they were to need us in any way we would be there for them as they would be there for us. They have lots of livestock! We have zero livestock. They are where I get all my eggs from, they grow organic for the college, and they are the best eggs ever! IF I get to a point where I can be home and not have to travel for a living I do plan to get my own chickens and roosters. I have a chicken house already, but I am not home enough to care for them.

No. I would not share as everyone has ample time to prepare. They shouldn't be depending on others to share if and when the SHTF.

I would consider combining resources with other people who were prepared.
but I have a feeling im gonna keep it to myself as long as possible. It really
depends on the outcomes. Are people from neighbor hoods gonna be
shuffled into some sort of communes leaving neighbor hoods empty
or are people just gonna be left in there homes to starve. I guess it would
also depend on if it was due to a economy collapse or a natural disaster.

Apparently it is the opinion of at least one federally employed (I assume) emergency manager that preppers are selfish for prepping and hoarding supplies. She seems to think that preppers should have some kind of community outreach program and anything we stock up on (food, supplies, etc.) should be given to the community when a disaster strikes or in a SHTF scenario.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/are-preppers-responsible-for-the-unprepared/

While I am fairly new to actively prepping, its something I have thought about and discussed for many years. Not sure about everyone elses experience is, but from my experience, discussing prepping and such with 95% of other people results in odd glances from the corner of their eyes at best.

That being the case, how am I responsible for helping anyone that considered me eccentric or a crackpot when/if SHTF. My answer: I'm not. Under no circumstances will I take one morsel of food away from my immediate family to give to an able bodied person that did absolutely nothing. It goes without saying that I will help the young, elderly, sick, or those otherwise unable.....to a degree.

Basically it is not my responsibility to help those who refused to help themselves.

Isn't that the whole mentality of today's people..someone else work for it and I get to reap the benefits because I can't help myself nor want to? There's a lot of money and time invested into prepping. Their ignorance will not be the decline of my family. All of this is so open now compared to even a few years ago..i never thought I would see a tv show about it. We have a saying around here...God favors the prepared!

You're absolutely right to feel this way! We actually have a couple of friends that make fun of us (my husband and I) because we're "preppers". These are the same people who have said that our house will be the first place they come to in a time of crisis. When I hear that, I'm like whoa! You want me to take care of your ### but you think we're crazy and don't want to help to prep in anyway? I'm really good with a crossbow and I love the fact that it's reusable "ammo" and I stated very clearly that if they step on my property in any way, I won't hesitate to do what I have to do to ensure my family is safe. You want something for free, hit up the government!

OMG Kriptic, just reading what you posted has totally ruffled my feathers (or, just pissed me the hell off in laymans terms). LOL

I think the hardest thing for me will be to tell someone I can't help them. As so many have said my family comes first. If I have taken the time to get my prepping where it needs to be then they should have been doing the same thing. It's in my nature to take care of others but I will not be pushed to give up what I am taking time to prepare for . I know when the shtf there will be alot of folks wanting a hand out and they will do anything to get it. I'm prepared to defend my home and supplies anyway I have to and I will. Let the government take care of them especially since they will most likely be the reason when it all goes to hell.

I don't have a problem with helping others. If I have the means, I would definitely help someone who's out there with nothing and will most likely die without help. I will not help others who expect it or bash me for doing what I do. Right now, it's me and my husband and that's it and that's all we feel we need for the moment. You're probably right June, it will be those handout people who will probably be the main reason everything topples. I mean really, who isn't going to take an Obama phone if it's given to them. Next, it will be an Obama car and at that point I'm jumping on the bandwagon so I can run some people over. LOL

Latest posts

Back