Will canned food last in a warm pantry?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my biggest concerns is a Nuke attack on American soil now that so much has come out that apparently our “government “ is to be blamed for so many crisis right now. Funny how a Nuke attack was LOW on my priority list just a couple years ago. IF we did have an attack relatively close, we would be screwed trying to grow our own foods and even our wells would be contaminated. Your only choice would be to get the hell out of Dodge. That is not something I ever thought I would have to consider, but yet, here we are.

Storing commercial cans will also leech tin, which is a reason they say not to store to eat. I can only imagine that with higher temps, the more leeching. I don't know that for a fact, just an assumption.

Acid based products like tomato are always the first to go bad in cans. When I was young and worked in a grocery store, I saw a lot of disgusting tomato products In damaged cans. Never saw a bad mason jar in my grandmothers pantry.

Even as a kid I despised SpaghettiOs and the like. It always tasted like the can.

I was going through some store bought canned food today and the only type I have had problems with is fruit. The acidity corroded the cans and if you accidently don't see a leaky can, you will find black, icky goo everywhere.

These cans were my mom's. I had stuck quite a few mixed fruit cans in the back of the closet and forgotten about them. What a mess.

Acid based products like tomato are always the first to go bad in cans. When I was young and worked in a grocery store, I saw a lot of disgusting tomato products In damaged cans. Never saw a bad mason jar in my grandmothers pantry.
I'm sure you all know how corrosive Coca Cola is.

Well, when I was in grad school, my physical chemistry professor had his name on the patent on the lining of Coke cans. He was independently wealthy and drew a salary of $1 a year. He just had the job to have access to the university resources for doing his research.

Of course, that lining was 80% BPA...:oops:

I hate Spaghetti-Os but like the Chef Boyardee. I have no idea how to spell that

Not a fan of any canned pasta. I married an Italian-German. His Great Grandma was born in Sicily and owned a resort/restaurant up in Minnesota, taught me how to make homemade pasta and pizza crust before we were married....I am spoiled. LOL.

What was the resort/restaurant called?

She's been gone now for thirty years and she sold it before I dated the hubby (she died at 98 yo) unfortunately I don't remember. It was on a lake and had cabins. In the land of 10,000 lakes it doesn't narrow things down much. I'll see if the hubby remembers where it was.

Latest posts

Back