Wife on board.....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick up rabbit pellets and straw the day you get them. And make sure the hutches are easy to clean and LARGE enough. Each doe and buck needs it's own hutch. There must be a nest area filled with straw and an outside area protected from sun, rain and snow with a mesh bottom. Most people try to raise them in small or unsuitable pens and it doesn't work out. Or try to feed them on garden waste and kill them with diarrhea. It must be a protected area also as they will attract many predators that will easily rip up poorly made hutches for a rabbit dinner. Even better made hutches have been torn up by dogs and coyotes.
We had an ant problem years age thay ended up with the ants killing the rabbit. Found out that if you put the legs of the hutch in buckets of water the ants can't get to the rabbits, or what ever els you are raising. Hope that helps a little.

I am one of the few wives that is all for prepping while my husband is not into it.
I have just started getting into the whole prepping scene....mainly focusing on making my home/property more self-sufficient/ less reliant on outside sources for all our needs. I have had resistance from my hubby when it comes to prepping. I made the argument about self-sufficiency being not only smart but will save money which went over very well. But the whole idea of stockpiling more than a few days worth of food seems like a waste of money and space to him. It has been frustrating to do all these projects on my own, but I truly feel it is necessary! While he has not been overly supportive, he allows me to do my own thing/projects.
I would love some tips on getting him into it as well (even though I am mentally prepared to do this on my own) as well as some good projects that might encourage him to help me out every once in awhile.
Looking forward to your ideas!

My Hubs thought I was a little nuts when he first met me because I have been a prepper forever. Raised that way actually. Anyhow, he never really took what I did seriously until we had to live off of what I'd stored for nearly six months, now he's the first one to hit a sale to stock up on things. Hubs was also really leery of firearms because he'd never been around them, his father and brothers didn't/don't hunt or fish, so it was foreign to him. Since we have a farm with livestock he has since seen the value of having firearms for many different reasons. I think the deciding factor for him was having to wait for hours for a vet to make a farm call to put an animal down that was suffering.

It's good that your husband doesn't stand in your way. You might point out the weird weather we've been having this year, it never hurts to have what you need at home so you don't end up going to a shelter.

Luckily my husband is not leery of firearms...and its actually a hobby we both enjoy.
What gets me is that my husband was a Marine....his skills are fantastic when it comes to fire arms/ self protection/ he is the best guy I know at repairing just about anything (among other skills he learned in the Marines). He loves camping and used to hunt quite often and I love that!
I think a big part of it is that he truly believes that no amount of prepping will get us to where we need to be...I think we have to start somewhere.
The more stuff I do the more he ask questions and wants to know what I am up to/planning next. Next I am hoping that he begins to offer help, but I dont know if he will ever take on a task by himself solely for the sake of prepping. I will definitely bring up the topic of weather and I am worried at the idea of ending up in a shelter simply because we didn't prep. I will keep you updated on how that conversation goes! Thank you for the advise!

Perhaps getting him involved cause "I need help:oops:!" Your to woman but need his "expertise". Not for everything but to bring him along. Kinda like guiding him without him knowing it. It maybe the spark to get him going. Just a thought..... I know it works cause I think my wife uses it on me!

Well thank you Mr. Trapper
Will definately try that this weekend as well....so glad I asked you guys :)

Perhaps getting him involved cause "I need help:oops:!" Your to woman but need his "expertise". Not for everything but to bring him along. Kinda like guiding him without him knowing it. It maybe the spark to get him going. Just a thought..... I know it works cause I think my wife uses it on me!
I dunno...I think my hubby would see through that in a heartbeat...maybe just say that you'd like a little support...my hubby doesn't DO any of the stuff that I do for food...he takes care of the ammo and weaponry around the place...that and the equipment...I worry most about food and water so that is my job...but we had a little talk about how concerned I was for when something happens...he helps me because we are partners...

Don't think that prepping only has to do with some sort of political upheaval or economic crisis...maybe it would just be WEATHER...and that isn't something you can predict or foresee...that just happens...so maybe start with wanting to be prepared to take care of yourself and your family in case of weather...then you can move forward from there!

I dunno...I think my hubby would see through that in a heartbeat...maybe just say that you'd like a little support...my hubby doesn't DO any of the stuff that I do for food...he takes care of the ammo and weaponry around the place...that and the equipment...I worry most about food and water so that is my job...but we had a little talk about how concerned I was for when something happens...he helps me because we are partners...

Don't think that prepping only has to do with some sort of political upheaval or economic crisis...maybe it would just be WEATHER...and that isn't something you can predict or foresee...that just happens...so maybe start with wanting to be prepared to take care of yourself and your family in case of weather...then you can move forward from there!
Oh how I know! This last year we expanded the garden. Hubby and I discussed it, before he did and me saying if you are going to make it that large, I will need help. He said ok, but then it was just me weeding and picking and preserving. He said he did, on a tractor, when he tilled it up.

My wife is all for me prepping. She likes and understands what i do. She is very, very supportive.

Having a young family, with her being a stay at home mum, we survive purely on my salary, which at times can be tough.

She will say to me... "ïf you need anything, let me know the costs and we can work it into our finances"

She is the best wife :)

If I try playing the 'girl card' I get laughed off the farm. It just ain't fair. I didn't want to fool with this mess of bugs and was doing everything I could to get out of it and Hubs looked at me and said "I have seen you with your arm up a goat's hind end nearly to the elbow, and you're whining about bugs?" I hate bugs, they scare me, but I was shamed into doing it. I got even though. He needs to remember.... I ALWAYS GET EVEN.;)

I said I would update everyone...weekend went well ... :)
tried pulling the girl card, but much like Anorak It didnt work and I was kind of laughed at.
Thankfully my husband is very helpful and whenever I need something he is more than willing to help, so I guess I dont need to use the girl card.

Much like Danali - my hubbys help in the garden is minimal he helped rototill the garden at the beginning of the season ....other than that only thing he has done is stood in the middle of the garden-(surveying i assume) and reported back to me that I did not plant enough corn (if it was up to him the entire garden would be sweet corn...i planted plenty!!!)
next year I want to let him plan it out...maybe it will inspire more help for the rest of the year

He thought it was funny that I had so much fun Dry canning some foods-even asked how I did it! YAY
I told him to let me know some things he might want dry canned, and he said he would....so another step forward YAY
Thanks for all the advise everyone!! working well so far

Please explain what you are referring to as dry canning because that term is used for a lot of different things.

Ma'am, you sure our husbands aren't related somehow? What is it about men and their dang sweet corn?

Hunny likes to eat his corn on the cobb along with kernal corn and he especially loves his cream corn.

Hunny likes to eat his corn on the cobb along with kernal corn and he especially loves his cream corn.
Oh, my hubby likes creamed corn also!!! He says the corn on the cob is fine but creamed corn is so much better...you don't have to work for it...

Now my BIL hoards the corn that we bring out in August...We'll bring 6-10 dozen for our visit and as it is being unpacked he is secreting it away so his wife doesn't take it all from him...I have a hard time sitting at the table with him while he eats it...smacks his lips, slobbers all over and just is covered from head to toe with butter and corn bits by the time he is done eating it!

Please explain what you are referring to as dry canning because that term is used for a lot of different things.

Honestly I guess I dont really know what I mean by dry canning-I came across the term in some of my research and decided to try it....
it basically (hard to explain since Im a beginner) but I 'baked' dry ingredient foods in lg canning jars. after about an hr I put the lids on (which i had just boiled for 10+ min and then dried) baked for another 15min or so. Pulled out of the oven and made sure the lids were screwed on tight.
after a little while the cans sealed. So i can store some supplies this way- its air tight- the baking kills the bugs/whatever that can be in there.
I did this for flour/pasta/rice, just as a trial run. Any suggestions.
I am curious Anorka...what other ways of dry canning are there...I would love to try them all :D

Latest posts

Back