WHY PREP? Help me understand why? I dont get it.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll, moron, idiot, maybey she's all those things, but this is the liveliest thread I've ever seen on this site! Maybey she's done us a favor.

We just had an ice storm in North Texas. The trucks and trains that deliver our food and fuel were not in service for 3-4 days. People were stranded for hours, sometimes days, on the roads. A large percentage of the people lost their power. Within two days, the shelves at the stores were empty in many areas. There weren't any trucks to deliver new goods to the stores. Many people couldn't even get to a store. People ran out of prescription meds. Many drug stores ran out of certain prescription meds. Many gas stations ran out of fuel. Even though we had a week's notice, many people did not go out and stock up on food and supplies. Many didn't fill their cars up with gas. Many resorted to trying to walk to stores and ended up busting their asses on the ice and sometimes their injuries were worse, requiring medical care. Others had to knock on neighbors' doors and basically beg for a handout. If it was this bad after an ice storm that only lasted for a few days AND we had a week's notice that it was coming, what in the hell would happen if something really bad happened WITHOUT notice? What if it lasted for weeks or months or God forbid, years? Oh, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Come on. We live in the US. The government isn't going to let anything bad happen to us. They'll take care of us if there is an emergency." Well, look at Katrina. Look at what some people are still going through in New Jersey. The government doesn't know you. They don't care about you as an individual. They aren't going to be heart broken if you die or suffer. The government might even be the one who is creating the situation. Only you can be responsible for making sure you and your family are taken care of. If you and your family suffer, it is on your head. Consider yourself warned. Things happen. Whether they are weather related or man made situations, they happen. Those that are prepared will be able to make it. Those that questioned the need for preparedness will be the ones to suffer. It is up to you to decide which you will be. Now, you know why.

ally oakley. i printed up what you posted.and showed it to my mom.she agrees with what you said.and so do i ..

I appreciate the response but this doesn’t help me understand the logic behind the “life style” you choose. I’m simply trying to understand why you are so certain that something catastrophic will happen. In my opinion, all the panic and pepping may result in some degree of self-fulfilling prophecy, but for the most part, it is highly improbable that the world is coming to an end. Why so much anger and distrust? Why the animosity toward people that see government and morality in a different light? It almost sounds like you want this all to come true so your cause can be validated. There is nothing healthy about this.
Hey , im new but maby i can help..
Why you should prep is because it is living life . Why should people try to survive in the jungle? ,why you should try to get your body in shape? .. It's because you like it and it makes you feel safe and good ..
Don't life a film , live your life

Respectfully, I just don’t understand why so many people are obsessed with prepping. If something catastrophic were to actually happen, I’m not sure I would want to survive the aftermath. True survival is pure agony and a post-apocalyptic world would be ruthless and unrelenting. Hording water, food and weapons would not change this. Furthermore, I don’t see the point in spending the productive years of my life worrying about what could happen. I would rather enjoy my life and if something horrible happens, then so be it. I can’t predict the future and there is no sense in pretending like I can.
Like most things, preparation is good in moderation. I prepare for a meeting at work, or an impending snow storm, but there is no sense in preparing for incidents of low probability. It’s not logical and I see it as an extremely negative and depressing way to exist. Although our world is flawed, some people exaggerate the moral decline of society and choose to view America as a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah. We are fortunate enough to be witnesses to an age of information that has changed the way we perceive the world. There have always been murderers, rapist, genocide and terrorism. The only difference is that we are now more informed. The advent of new information mediums combined with politically motivated 24hr news networks, has resulted in paranoid and skewed perspective of reality.
The bottom line is If I lived every aspect of my life with the pessimism of a prepper , I would never try anything new and would avoid anything that involved any level of risk. I would wear a chain mail diving suit when swimming in ocean so I could be prepared for a shark attack, and I would construct a rubber room in my home so I would be protected from lighting strikes. It seems like an awful lot of preppers are playing out some sort or childhood fantasy. Just like with religious zealots, preppers seem to get off on the idea that they possess some sort of secret knowledge that the rest of the world is ignorant to. To me, it’s all a waste of time. Life is too short to imprison myself in my own mind and if the disasters do come, I can only hope the damage from the volcanic eruption, nuclear bomb or solar flare is great enough to kill me instantly.
I cant stad the word horde! We are not hording! we bust our ###'s and pay for everything we have with blood and sweat! what we spend our dam money on is our buisiness and ours alone ! we have earned it! there i said my peace on the word horde!

We just had an ice storm in North Texas. The trucks and trains that deliver our food and fuel were not in service for 3-4 days. People were stranded for hours, sometimes days, on the roads. A large percentage of the people lost their power. Within two days, the shelves at the stores were empty in many areas. There weren't any trucks to deliver new goods to the stores. Many people couldn't even get to a store. People ran out of prescription meds. Many drug stores ran out of certain prescription meds. Many gas stations ran out of fuel. Even though we had a week's notice, many people did not go out and stock up on food and supplies. Many didn't fill their cars up with gas. Many resorted to trying to walk to stores and ended up busting their asses on the ice and sometimes their injuries were worse, requiring medical care. Others had to knock on neighbors' doors and basically beg for a handout. If it was this bad after an ice storm that only lasted for a few days AND we had a week's notice that it was coming, what in the hell would happen if something really bad happened WITHOUT notice? What if it lasted for weeks or months or God forbid, years? Oh, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Come on. We live in the US. The government isn't going to let anything bad happen to us. They'll take care of us if there is an emergency." Well, look at Katrina. Look at what some people are still going through in New Jersey. The government doesn't know you. They don't care about you as an individual. They aren't going to be heart broken if you die or suffer. The government might even be the one who is creating the situation. Only you can be responsible for making sure you and your family are taken care of. If you and your family suffer, it is on your head. Consider yourself warned. Things happen. Whether they are weather related or man made situations, they happen. Those that are prepared will be able to make it. Those that questioned the need for preparedness will be the ones to suffer. It is up to you to decide which you will be. Now, you know why.
I couldn't have said anything any better that that.

Because it's in our DNA to survive. And preppers, prep to survive. A: it's fun to prep, B: it's in our DNA, and C: because we feel it is important

HMMM... ok, tbh, I skipped a lot of answers, so if some, most, or all of what I say was already covered, forgive my impatience to read everything, when the answers were burning in my mind when I first read the original post.
first, pessimistic? optimistic? nope, im a realist of sorts. yes im a huge believer in prepping, yet I still go to college.
let me say this, if we thought the world was gonna end, we wouldn't prep. none of us would. we prep to live after a major catastrophe, if its possible to. let me give you a few, just a few instances: theres an island in the Canary Islands that can, at any moment, drop a billion pounds of earth into the sea, taking out the whole east coast. Yellowstone could blow (volcano) without warning, and send us into total hell, not to even mention political stuff. or how about Japan, Fukushima dumping toxic waste into the ocean. I mean, damn there is just so much that COULD happen, that IF something happened, id like to still raise, be a part of, provide, and watch my children grow. if a catastrophic disaster did hit, and no one prepped, would that then just be the end of humanity as we know it? or could we rebuild? well idk about you, but for me, if theres even a slight chance I/my family could survive something like that, I wouldn't want to then watch them die by starvation (etc) cuz I didn't know wtf to do. everything I learn helps that slightness by an even grater margin.
here's a FACT: something catastrophic WILL happen. sooner or later it will, no if, ands, or buts. will it happen in my lifetime? I have no clue. quite possibly not, but id rather be prepared and nothing happen, than not be prepared and something happen.
and btw, I don't base my whole life on prepping, actually a small portion on it, but its in my mind quite often.
hoped this helped.

I think the chances of an event happening that would end our modern way of life...is far more likely than an event that would cause our extinction as a species. The former is what we prep for. The latter, well, not much you can do about that....

I think the chances of an event happening that would end our modern way of life...is far more likely than an event that would cause our extinction as a species. The former is what we prep for. The latter, well, not much you can do about that....
In many ways our lives have changed a lot. When I became a mother I took a vow that I would do anything to protect my children and die for them. If I take the time to prepare for natural disasters then why wouldn't I prepare for even worse cases. Things are going to continue to get worse and I am going to do the best I can to protect my children!!

God may not even know our future. But he gave us knowledge and fore thought to care and provide for ourselves and our families. Farmers store hay and grain for their cattle before the coming winter, they know the season could be long and brutal. If they dont prepare/prep their animals could starve. I think it would be foolish not to prepare for the unknowns. We have become complacent in thinking our country is the safest place on earth. I totally agree with you DavyRocket!

To be prepared was a normal way of life before everybody was lured into consuming unnecessary stuff. This is how life is supposed to be. You take care of your own and be prepared for eventualities.

What do you guys have prepared to deal with illnesses when they arise? I recently heard from a guy that he was using a Life Force. And it's supposed to be able to kill viruses, pathogens, and bacteria? Anyone else ever heard of it?

What do you guys have prepared to deal with illnesses when they arise? I recently heard from a guy that he was using a Life Force. And it's supposed to be able to kill viruses, pathogens, and bacteria? Anyone else ever heard of it?
I stress that a good medical kit with supplies is important, but the most important thing you can do is learn. Take a first aide course, get CPR certified, read as much as you can for basic trauma care. Knowledge is probably the best thing you can stockpile. The life force thing sounds familiar but I'm not sure what it is.

Yea I definately agree with bettering my knowledge of such things. I'm CPR AED certified and have taken EMT courses. My question is though what do you have prepared for when an illness is president? I personally have used the life force technology and have felt a huge difference in my health. I suggest looking into the technology it has many uses. Including killing bacteria in water and aiding plant growth.

That all depends on the illness that you are talking about. Many of us are not doctors and we do not have the training to diagnosis what illness one would have so my safe bet is to continue collecting broad spectrum antibiotics! And gathering as much information as I can, not only to treat, but what steps I can take to keep our safe place clean!

You might want to look into the life force then. Other than keeping you're safe place clean you might want to consider keeping yourself healthy. You'd be surprised what a difference it could make for someone who THINKS they're already healthy. I want to experiment with it to see if it will help my plants grow any faster/healthier/or larger. Prepping by storing supplies is always good but knowing how to grow and produce is just as important.

Latest posts

Back