WHY PREP? Help me understand why? I dont get it.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a big pill to swallow. I’m sure you can see why some people would interpret this as irrational? I guess it all depends on where you choose to get your “facts”and what issues you dwell on. I could just as easily post a list of positive current events that counter every point, but neither post would be an accurate representation of historical fact. This is my exact point about pessimism.

That’s a big pill to swallow. I’m sure you can see why some people would interpret this as irrational? I guess it all depends on where you choose to get your “facts”and what issues you dwell on. I could just as easily post a list of positive current events that counter every point, but neither post would be an accurate representation of historical fact. This is my exact point about pessimism.
I would welcome these facts that refute those points listed.

Also, have you heard about UN agenda 21? If not I suggest you read it, ( no bias) straight from the source which is obviously the UN

So my guess is You do not believe 2 airplanes somehow brought down 3 of the World Trade Center building. Here is a FACT... It did happen, I have friends and family that live in N.Y. One of my life long friends that lived in N.J at the time was trying to cross the Washington bridge that morning, but it was jammed, and closed. He saw the smoking buildings. My uncle who passed away lived in Long Island. He was also a fireman, and had friends that died from helping clean up/victims .Here is another FACT.. Martial Law was basically declared after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, which ALSO happened. I think you are either to scared to accept the truth, or as The Norwegian said... A troll coming here to start arguments, or you only have 1 eye partially open while the other is closed.

If you want real truth, and news check out these sites

http://www.drudgereport.com

http://www.stevequayle.com (currently offline)

http://www.infowars.com

I wanted to add that... It is better to be prepared, and nothing happen, then not be prepared, and the worse happens.

NaughtyWombat, I would like to ask first one question: How do you define a prepper? Because you said putting aside a few stuff wasn't being a prepper but preparing for an event was being a prepper. BUT aren't you putting away stuff for a potential event? That makes one a non-prepper-prepper based on your definition.

Do you own a gun and a large number of bullets? Isn't that prepping for an event? You are also preparing for an event that someone might enter your house, threaten your family.... then following your definition, you are also being a pessimist because you are preparing for that event by owning a gun and bullets, then that makes you a prepper, again by your own definition, which makes you also a "Pessimist Prepper", again by your own definition....

1) Have you ever had to sit on top of the roof for 12 hours during a hurricane because floods were 2.5 meters deep that rose in just 15 minutes holding your one-year old child in your arms who hasn't had a drink of water or food to eat because you had to rush to the top of the roof.
2) Have you had to survive for two weeks on food you ask from people, water from the rain, because you weren't prepared?
3) Have you had a major injury during a disaster yet had to wait for 4 days to go to the nearest medical mission that was about 4 miles away?

I will answer you, I have! Am I a pessimist prepper? No, why? That major flooding (and I am talking the whole metropolis consisting of 22 cities and municipalities) was again repeated 3 years after.

When that flooding came (this was actually last year 2012), there was no food nor water available in the groceries and anywhere.... What saved us for the 6 days of no food and no water were my supplies.

In a major southern island, due to a major typhoon, people in a whole province had no access to food/water/medical services for 4.5 months. In case you will say I just read it in the news, my buddy prepper here who heads the Army Reservists in the South and is in charge of all rescue efforts told me this.

Now I ask, is this a pessimist prepper?

If you haven't been there and always stayed in a glass house with all its glitter and shine, you wouldn't be able to understand. But beware of that day when that glass house comes crashing down on you... Do I hear "enough to kill me instantly"?

You said that "I can only hope the damage from the volcanic eruption, nuclear bomb or solar flare is great enough to kill me instantly". What would you do if it didn't? Are you going to take the coward's way out? What about your family? Your kids?

If you kill yourself because you can't hack it.... I pity your family.... Unless you would be putting them out of their misery too... Now that, in any one's perspective, is definitely wrong....

In my country nowadays, whenever the rainy seasons come, we are told by our government to prepare for potential disasters like setting aside enough food, water, communications, etc. for the family to last for a week. So does that mean that our government is telling us to become pessimist preppers?

Did you know that the US Government is also stockpiling a lot of food, water, ammo, etc. "in the event of" a major disaster. Why not tell them that they are the "Pessimist Preppers" who are "playing out some sort or childhood fantasy" and "seem to get off on the idea that they possess some sort of secret knowledge that the rest of the world is ignorant to"?

On various items like Solar Flares/EMP, it has happened several times:
In 1859, what was to become known as the Carrington Effect.
The major solar flare that erupted on Aug. 4, 1972 knocked out long-distance phone communication across some states, including Illinois, according to a NASA account. "That event, in fact, caused AT&T to redesign its power system for transatlantic cables," NASA wrote in the account.
March 13, 1989 Canada experienced a major disruption of electricity for 9 hours
July 14, 2000, The Bastille Day event caused some satellites to short-circuit and led to some radio blackouts. It remains one of the most highly observed solar storm events and was the most powerful flare since 1989.
October 28, 2003, an X45 Class Solar Flare was detected but did not hit Earth. This was part of 9 Major Solar Flares at the time.
Dec. 5, 2006, it registered a powerful X9 on the space weather scale. This storm from the sun "disrupted satellite-to-ground communications and Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation signals for about 10 minutes," according to a NASA description. The sun storm was so powerful it actually damaged the solar X-ray imager instrument on the GOES 13 satellite that snapped its picture, NOAA officials said.
May 13-14, 2013, X3.2 Class SF were detected but did not hit the Earth directly. Effects included slight disruption of communications

If you think we don't have fun and just simply live in fear, that is one of the biggest misconceptions you can make. I live a normal life like everyone, have fun, go to the beach, have vacations.... And have a very positive view of life.... The reason we prep is because life is good and beautiful and we want to be ready in case anything happens that may disrupt it and be able to go on living.... God/Allah/Yaweh/Jehovah (whatever you want to call HIM) gave us this life, we have No right to just take what He has given us away, just because we don't want to be ready...

A little word of advise, choose wisely what you watch on TV, "Doomsday Preppers" makes preppers look bad. I should know firsthand the way media twists some things, I was interviewed on local TV on disaster prepping last December but they made it appear that I believed in the Mayan Prophecy...

PS: Clyde, sorry for the long post.... :)

Thanks Dart...

I know what it felt like to be in a disaster and not be prepared... To see my own kid go hungry and thirsty and not be able to give my child what she needed during those times. It is that image of her in my mind as my wife was holding her, she growing weak due to no food and water, that made me decide to really become a prepper.... It was a good thing that the waters receded and we were able to evacuate to higher ground yet we had to scrounge around for food.

NaughtyWombat, have you?

But also remember that even the sweetest icing cannot cover the fact and the reality that the cake is burnt.

" I guess it all depends on where you choose to get your “facts”and what issues you dwell on"... Very good point, it now makes me understand where you are coming from... I guess it all depends on where you choose to get your “facts”and what issues you dwell on (oops, I repeated your statement but there was also no other way to say it. Hope there were no Intellectual Property Issues on that...)

Right now all I see is an argument on one persons presupposition on preppers. You assume based on what knowledge? The show? They edit the hell out of it to make the people look crazy. Even though some of them don't require much help. I call myself a prepper proudly but have no major sense of paranoia. I simply wanna be self contained and sustained. So by my definition NaughtyWombat you are a prepper. I think your giving into a stereotype cast by the Government and media. Sounds a bit paranoid I'm sure but, really look at where your mental definition comes from...http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?members/naughtywombat.1456/

I'll make this short and simple, and hopefully easy to understand. Some Jews felt/thought the same way in Germany, others were just caught off guard. Look what happened to them. Same thing in Russia, Italy, China. Mass amounts of people died because of some whacked out "POLITICIAN". The same is happening again here at home. It is totally your choice to give in to Gov't, and want them to help when in reality when SHTF you will be forced into a FEMA camp, AKA concentration camp, re-education camp. In short a prison where you never leave... ALIVE. Again, if that is how to want to go, that is totally your choice, and I really feel sorry for you. Us "preppers" choose to be self reliant. I refuse to give in to Tyrannical Gov't taking me somewhere I DO NOT WANT TO GO, telling me what to do, or how to do it. The name calling is so typical of Liberal's. By the way I am very "optimistic". Please DO NOT refer to ALL "preppers" as pessimistic atleast without facts to back it up. Have a great day.

Dittos My Friend!
I am very optimistic and have grand plans for the future, both for myself and my children. I am about to complete my Nurse Practitioner and my Homeopath MD, I have a daughter in Vet School and a son who is a senior in high school. If we were anything other than optimistic, we wouldn't be incurring school debt and planning our futures! So sad, the low-information voters are dreadfully without a clue....when the dollar collapses and the proverbial SHTF NaughtyWombat, don't beat on my door for a handout, not unless you need a bullet to facilitate "your" prepping plan. That, I will gladly give ya!

Shenandoah

After 14 years in the Army I am not, I repeat NOT storing any MRE's....
Lol I think anyone that has had to eat them instead of "oh let's try a few MREs for fun" will agree with you. Our chow hall got destroyed at one of the FOBs I was at and we had to eat MREs for 3 months straight. There's only so many times a man can eat pasta with meat sauce and BBQ burger. Don't even want to talk about our bathroom situation (or lack there of)

I think it comes down to everyone has their own definition of prepping. Some take it to extremes but many do not.
I was actually afraid before I began getting prepared. Now I don't worry. I don't think about it much and I don't spend much time on it. I have a strong background in historical research as a medieval re-creationist as well as nearly having a degree in Anthropology with emphasis in cultural ethnography and archaeology. History says crap happens. Every civilization falls. I don't feel that this may happen tomorrow but even if it happens one hundred years from now, my kids that I may have someday will know how to take care of themselves. I see it as an advantage for my everyday living. Solar power and self-sufficiency is good for my wallet as well as the earth (even if I am still on the fence about global warming, no one can argue that the McDonald's cup on the side of the road is good nor is using up resources faster than they are made...Just ask the Mayans...) I have fun learning how to cook in alternative ways and storing things without coolers because I do the medieval re-creationism and this helps on my annual two week trip to Pennsic. My gun and ammunition can get me food and, living well below the poverty level, this can help me not drain the already empty food pantries around here, rely on already stretched thin government resources, and help me make it without being a taxpayer's burden. It is practical in my daily life.
Before I started prepping I was afraid I wouldn't have enough to eat for my husband and me ON A REGULAR BASIS. This means I didn't have to wait for a disaster or something to happen for prepping to pay off. It is a part of my life because I am in college and my husband cannot find employment in this area. I had many situations where prepping would have been very helpful and wish I had done so back then. One such situation was 11 days without electricity after a very bad storm, after a tornado hit my house and the current landlord didn't put siding or fix a thing (including no heat) in negative degree weather, and when my life was being threatened by said landlord's drug dealing maintenance guy who was breaking into my house, stalking me, and actually attempted to kill us once. (Wish I had my gun then...)
Prepping can apply to everyday situations and not just the great big disasters. I'm not so naive to believe that the U.S. will never fall or that another tornado or flood couldn't happen here. Then these things will be useful. Do I trust the government? Heck no but that isn't my primary reason for prepping. My prepping is based on university level research which is founded very firmly in highly respected scholastic journals and widely accepted social theory and history.
We aren't just a bunch of crazies like the media hype likes to infer, however amusing the shows are. We are people like you.
Great topic, btw.

Lol I think anyone that has had to eat them instead of "oh let's try a few MREs for fun" will agree with you. Our chow hall got destroyed at one of the FOBs I was at and we had to eat MREs for 3 months straight. There's only so many times a man can eat pasta with meat sauce and BBQ burger. Don't even want to talk about our bathroom situation (or lack there of)
You had a much better selection than I did in the late 80's..... Chicken A la King (looked more like baby puke), Hot dogs, aka 5 fingers of death, dehydrated beef and pork patties to name a few.

You had a much better selection than I did in the late 80's..... Chicken A la King (looked more like baby puke), Hot dogs, aka 5 fingers of death, dehydrated beef and pork patties to name a few.
Yikes, yea that sounds pretty bad, there is one thing ill always love in MREs, and that is when I can find the mint choc. Chip cookie, my lord those are delicious. Or mixing the pineapples with the pound cake.

After I got out I attempted to goto school to become a chef, where we learned about meat designations. And there I learned that the meat they served us even in the chow halls is also the same quality of meat they give animals :D makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

Yikes, yea that sounds pretty bad, there is one thing ill always love in MREs, and that is when I can find the mint choc. Chip cookie, my lord those are delicious. Or mixing the pineapples with the pound cake.
In our MRE's there used to also be packs of dehydrated fruit, but you had to bend the package before eating it. The reason for that was if you bent the package and you didn't feel or hear the dehydrated fruit crunch then the package had a leak and the fruit was no longer dehydrated. If you ate the bad package you would be in a world of atomic intestinal problems..... not a good time to be in the field. They also had a "chocolate bar" that would have better served as a candle.

After I got out I attempted to goto school to become a chef, where we learned about meat designations. And there I learned that the meat they served us even in the chow halls is also the same quality of meat they give animals :D makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.
I believe it.

It seems to me NW, that you have come here, not with an open mind to find answers to your question but with a closed mind, to start an argument and force your views onto us.

What right do you have, to join a "Preppers" forum and question what we do and why we do it, the way you have?

It seems to me you have watched to much Doomsday Preppers, a show you will find most of us actually laugh at.

dont look at preppers as crazy people who have stock piled lots of everything, want to live under ground, have money, or gold/silver buried on their property. i consider myself a prepper because i am preparing for a hurricane, or tropical storm, to pass by houston tx again and leave us without electricity, running water, or access to food for a few days. i am not preparing for a zombie apocolypse. government take over. or financial collapse. i am preparing for a natural disaster, and so i dont have to depend on government aid for a day or two. when ever i have been through a hurricane/tropical storm, and we stay because we dont want to be stuck in traffic for a day or two like other people. we also dont want to rely on FEMA or Red Cross to come give us food, since it may be dificult to get to the locations to where they are stationed. Houston is a big city. 4th largest in the U.S. so many people here. so many bellies. i rather rely on myself as long as i can, and give others an oportunity to get help. preppers are every one that prepares for anything. not the kind of people you see on doomsday preppers. i dont have a bunker. i dont have a years supply of food. i dont have 10 guns. i dont have a farm, but i have enough to prepare for an event that may come.
do you have insurance?
extra light bulbs?
batteries?
spare tire?
jumper cables?
sure these are "common" things to have, but it is also a way to prepare for when you need them. so therefore you are a prepper. like the posts above, the white house has a bunker underneath it, that can withstand a nuclear blast, food and water to last a while. every agent has a gun, so, they are preppers? is that ok?

Maybe to wreak havoc somewhere else. Am sure she is still reading this and enjoying the attention. Or a govt agent trying to sow discord here

am not a man to judge another but believe that what right does another person have to belittle another in their beliefs

Latest posts

Back