Why people do NOT prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's the problem with the current state of affairs in the UK, immigrants who come here are given housing and money from day one(I nearly emigrated to Canada in the late 70s and if I did I would have had to be self supporting NO help at all from the state), and we have people who have never worked in their lives sponging off the welfare state the only work they do is pushing out another sprog so they can increase their benefit money, then we have the kids at the weekend taking up the whole of A&E with alcohol poisoning cos they don't know when to stop drinking-not until they fall over that is. we pay £50+ million per day to the corrupt edifice that is the EU.to say nothing of millions to places like India and others in so called "foreign aid"....charity begins at home I was always taught. no wonder the country is in a mess.

Lastly, with the economy today, some people are simply forced to live from pay check to pay check and cannot or do not have the discretionary resources to aptly prepare for a long-term event.

I can put together a decent BOB for about $50. Even someone working at McDonalds can do that. Nobody says you have to do it all at once. Even with a dedicated plan, I have things broken up over 5 years, because I know I can't afford it all at once. Even then, it is likely to take more than 5 years. But, I'm not getting any younger. I wish my kids could see the threat as a bit more real, but they are a product of their generation. Even when smart, they have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.

I can put together a decent BOB for about $50. Even someone working at McDonalds can do that. Nobody says you have to do it all at once. Even with a dedicated plan, I have things broken up over 5 years, because I know I can't afford it all at once. Even then, it is likely to take more than 5 years. But, I'm not getting any younger. I wish my kids could see the threat as a bit more real, but they are a product of their generation. Even when smart, they have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.

39% of the US population (123.3 million) live on the coast line, 6% of the population (17.2 million) that live within 30 miles of nuclear power plants, these are the people that need a prepared BOB, the rest of the population should prep to hunker down unless one lives in the interior floodplains a side from the coast is roughly shy of 6% of the population. Unfortunately folks that live in these hot zones fail to do any threat assessment in thinking they will be sufficiently warned, if you take the interior floodplains in account that 50.5% of the population, thats a big chunk of people, I don't think I am putting myself out on a limb when I say that only 2% or less of the 50.5% are 'ready' to evac on any given notice. Sad

I used to live near a nuclear naval base and dockyard, if there was a serious accident it would take everything out within a 3 mile radius, that was about half the city, yet nobody thought twice about it.

I don't think I am putting myself out on a limb when I say that only 2% or less of the 50.5% are 'ready' to evac on any given notice. Sad

Probably less than 1%.

I used to live near a nuclear naval base and dockyard, if there was a serious accident it would take everything out within a 3 mile radius, that was about half the city, yet nobody thought twice about it.

In their defense, chances are, they probably felt they wouldn't have an opportunity to do anything about it

the siren would be sounded if an accident happened, anyone within 1 mile of the dockyard were given tablets(I forget what) to take to counter the affects of the blast but that's as far as any civil contingency went.

That only protects your thyroid gland I think ?

Yeah, but it would prevent one of the worst complications from the radiation, so that's why they use it. Pretty cheap to get, so really should be in everyone's kit. You want enough to take two tablets a day, for 2 weeks, ideally. (per person, of course).

Most people think it's game over if a nuclear war happens, but many areas would be unscathed, and many more would see only minor radiation. Today's existing nukes are not the big baddies of the Cold War, and there are a lot less in operation now, due to numerous treaties.

I don't think I am putting myself out on a limb when I say that only 2% or less of the 50.5% are 'ready' to evac on any given notice. Sad

I would agree with that for sure. I live in San Francisco and honestly I am the only person I know getting a gun (my ten day waiting period ends on thursday!). I don't even know more than a few people who have knives. Girls are honestly the only people I know with any form of self protection in the city (from my own personal experiences). I mean even if you look at this you can see a lot of the coastal states are not nearly as prepared defensively and I mean defense is just one of many prepping aspects. http://usliberals.about.com/od/Elec...s-As-Percentage-Of-Each-States-Population.htm

Have you made that forum post? A amazing $50 bug out bag would be a cool post. Especially for beginner preppers.

the siren would be sounded if an accident happened, anyone within 1 mile of the dockyard were given tablets(I forget what) to take to counter the affects of the blast but that's as far as any civil contingency went.
It is funny you say that. The area of SF I live in actually has a practice siren that goes off every tuesday. I am not sure if that is the reason though. I heard a rumor it is actually from the cold war.

well, we left another county because they are building a nuclear power station and we lived 15 miles down wind with no other high ground in between, so we decided to come home and start again where there are no nuclear power stations.

Whilst budget and affordable bug out / GHb kits can be assembled for little money I would respectfully suggest that people constantly try to upgrade and improve their kits as time and funds allow, I tend to follow the old adage of " You only get what you pay for" so if you buy junk you can only expect junk performance or a short operational life for that item of kit.

whilst Bug out and GHB kits have their uses, they have a very limited timescale, don't get me wrong I have them myself but in a serious SHTF/TEOTWAWKI the stuff we need to amass are skills and the knowledge how to use those skills. resources will eventually all get used up but if we can TEACH people survival and homesteading skills that will enable them not only to survive but to ADAPT and ultimately THRIVE.

whilst Bug out and GHB kits have their uses, they have a very limited timescale, don't get me wrong I have them myself but in a serious SHTF/TEOTWAWKI the stuff we need to amass are skills and the knowledge how to use those skills. resources will eventually all get used up but if we can TEACH people survival and homesteading skills that will enable them not only to survive but to ADAPT and ultimately THRIVE.
I agree, I think spreading knowledge is extremely important.

knowledge is first and foremost, without knowledge even with the right gear wouldn't be much good, it be no different then applying a mickey mouse band-aid to a arterial hemorrhage, it makes me wonder though, how many preppers know how to change a car tire? how many preppers can carry 35lbs of gear 10 miles? how many preppers know the difference between a cattail and a iris in the spring? note, one of them will kill you! how many preppers know what a yew tree, hemlock bush looks like? how many preppers know the difference between a hemlock bush and a hemlock tree? These are just some of the basic questions that need be known before fielding a bug out bag, you have to know the land you are going to too otherwise you will learn real quick the meaning of 'dire straits'

knowledge is first and foremost, without knowledge even with the right gear wouldn't be much good, it be no different then applying a mickey mouse band-aid to a arterial hemorrhage, it makes me wonder though, how many preppers know how to change a car tire? how many preppers can carry 35lbs of gear 10 miles? how many preppers know the difference between a cattail and a iris in the spring? note, one of them will kill you! how many preppers know what a yew tree, hemlock bush looks like? how many preppers know the difference between a hemlock bush and a hemlock tree? These are just some of the basic questions that need be known before fielding a bug out bag, you have to know the land you are going to too otherwise you will learn real quick the meaning of 'dire straits'
This might be one of the most important posts on this thread in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back