Why Do We Prep?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietH3art

Reaction score
We all have our reasons. We talk about EMPs, Civil Unrest, Ebola, Terrorist Takeovers, etc. We also occasionally throw in something about natural disasters: hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and fires. Many of us are simply trying to live a more frugal, healthy and independent lifestyle.
I do a lot of research online and am often downloading eBooks to my Kindle with titles like "52 Easy Steps to a Frugal New Life" and "Grandma's Herbal and Homemade Remedies," "Gun Safety Guide" and "How To Build A Greenhouse."
But I also have an obsession for Preparedness Fiction, Disaster Fiction, Apocalyptic Fiction and I have 100's of those downloaded to my Kindle, as well.
98% of what I download is free and it's a good thing, too, as I read around 100 Kindle pages a day.
Last night, I went searching for more free fiction downloads under the search words "Disaster Fiction." I found one book about England suffering from a freak electrical storm that completely destroys the country called "The Night The Lights Went Out" by John Eider. I was having a bit of difficulty getting into that one because it starts in the middle of the story and "looks back" rather than starting at the beginning. So I went to one of the others I downloaded.
"From The Wreckage" by Michele G Miller is about a teenage girl from Tyler, TX. After the Friday night football game, a group of teens meet at the only real hangout in town. In a matter of moments, everything changes, everything she knew was gone. A tornado swept through the town, killing 45 people. This isn't a story about how they prepped for this eventuality or how they came together as a community. It is the story of one person, how suddenly life can change on Mother Nature's whim and how emotionally destructive a change like that can be.
We prepare with physical things: Guns, ammo, food, water, filters, fire starters, tents and camp stoves. We even think we are prepared mentally because we research and study and practice. We know what could happen and we think we are prepared for it. Some of us even hope for it to happen.
But can we ever really be emotionally prepared for the damage and the loss?
I recently suffered the loss of a relationship I thought would last the rest of my life. I've been a confused mess these last 2 months (in case none of you have noticed). I have disabilities and I have spent a lot of time asking myself what I have to offer, what makes me valuable, what makes my continued existence worthwhile.
Last week, I helped my youngest daughter, she's 27, divorced and mother of 2 of my grandchildren, to fill out her FAFSA and get her college application started so she can better herself. She wants to be an Xray Tech - a Radiographer.
When I was much younger, I took college classes here and there as my military spouse moved from base to base and in the last couple of years I have toyed with the idea of pulling as many of my credits as possible together to continue my own college degree. I kept defeating myself before I began by saying I was too old to start again.
But I'm going to do it. I am 51 years old. The Dr. tells me I'll be lucky to live another 3 years. It will take me 4 years to complete my degree so I guess I'll have to make a liar out of him, won't I?
My degree will be in Clinical Social Work but my focus will be in Grief Counseling, although I will never call myself a Grief Counselor. People don't generally think of going to a Grief Counselor when a relationship ends, when their child suffers a Traumatic Brain Injury that changes their entire personality or when a hurricane blows their house into the next county.
And on that note, I want to thank every one of you who has listened to me over the last 2 months. You have all been my Grief Counselors, helping me through this process of loss and rebuilding. You may think you are just words on a white screen, but to me, you are each individual personalities, giving, supportive, helpful and appreciated.
So why do I prep? Because things can happen in the blink of an eye and change your world forever. Knowing that the life essentials of water, food, defense and shelter are taken care of gives you breathing room to grieve and rebuild.

My younger brothers stopped the questioning of why I store food and water a long time ago. Years ago they would say 'so you're getting a larger house just to store stuff you will never use' my reply 'why have you been paying on a storage unit for stuff you haven't used in years nor will ever use' I generally sum up why I prep this way; I don't want to be caught with my pants down!

Prepping is the responsible thing to do, prepping is no different then home owners/renters/car/health insurance, prepping is a insurance policy I own and control, since the Good Lord hasn't given me the ability to see into the future prepping is the next best thing.

"Prepping" is just a part of living.........every person preps in some way , no matter how simple.............. only recently was it given a definition.

I'm glad a good number is taking it seriously though reality tv isn't always positive and in some circles I see a trend such as 'I have the best, meanest and baddest...' missing the whole point of sustaining independence, it's more or less of keeping up with the jone's. Prepping needs to be kept real not in a fictional fantasy world!

The main reason I started prepping is because of hurricane sandy. I ended up being 10 days without power and barely any food at all. I was even stuck on my street because of trees falling across the road and not being able to get around. It's a very important thing to do out where I live

once you get stuck in a situation that's nearly impossible to manage and you have nothing..if you are lucky to survive it,hopefully you understand;not anymore,next time I will be more ready..I'll have something in my backpocket that will keep me alive,I know things 'cause I took the effort in learning new things and I can take care of my loved ones..then I would dare to say one is on the right path..
I think it's great that more and more people prep 'cause this world is what it is..

I prep for anything that will disrupt my family's standard of living, whether for a few hours, a few days, or years.

don't know what it is but I've had this eerie feeling for a while now...like somethings gonna happen soon...just hope it's something I ate for lunch

Having been 'without' more times than I care to mention, It's hard sometimes not to view the stability of my own home and all it's comforts as only superficial. When hungry I cook something, When tired ,I sleep. When I work every day, it's because I decide to. Life hasn't always been this bed of roses. I stare at my own door sometimes in amazement that nobody will be a threat to me here. There were times past when all I had was my 2 feet to get me through many, many miles while under threat. If I thought ahead just enough when around cities, I could carry a jar of peanut butter-not enough to slow progress but enough to live. Oh yea- and of course water. Peanut butter by the way is an exellant single-source survival food. Even having this conditioning to overcome extreme difficulties, I prep today, but knowing that without it, I can still survive.
Though not all have the benefit of these experiences, All who call ourselves preppers at least have the wisdom and intuition to ready ourselves for whatever is around the bend.

We all have our reasons. We talk about EMPs, Civil Unrest, Ebola, Terrorist Takeovers, etc. We also occasionally throw in something about natural disasters: hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and fires. Many of us are simply trying to live a more frugal, healthy and independent lifestyle.
I do a lot of research online and am often downloading eBooks to my Kindle with titles like "52 Easy Steps to a Frugal New Life" and "Grandma's Herbal and Homemade Remedies," "Gun Safety Guide" and "How To Build A Greenhouse."
But I also have an obsession for Preparedness Fiction, Disaster Fiction, Apocalyptic Fiction and I have 100's of those downloaded to my Kindle, as well.
98% of what I download is free and it's a good thing, too, as I read around 100 Kindle pages a day.
Last night, I went searching for more free fiction downloads under the search words "Disaster Fiction." I found one book about England suffering from a freak electrical storm that completely destroys the country called "The Night The Lights Went Out" by John Eider. I was having a bit of difficulty getting into that one because it starts in the middle of the story and "looks back" rather than starting at the beginning. So I went to one of the others I downloaded.
"From The Wreckage" by Michele G Miller is about a teenage girl from Tyler, TX. After the Friday night football game, a group of teens meet at the only real hangout in town. In a matter of moments, everything changes, everything she knew was gone. A tornado swept through the town, killing 45 people. This isn't a story about how they prepped for this eventuality or how they came together as a community. It is the story of one person, how suddenly life can change on Mother Nature's whim and how emotionally destructive a change like that can be.
We prepare with physical things: Guns, ammo, food, water, filters, fire starters, tents and camp stoves. We even think we are prepared mentally because we research and study and practice. We know what could happen and we think we are prepared for it. Some of us even hope for it to happen.
But can we ever really be emotionally prepared for the damage and the loss?
I recently suffered the loss of a relationship I thought would last the rest of my life. I've been a confused mess these last 2 months (in case none of you have noticed). I have disabilities and I have spent a lot of time asking myself what I have to offer, what makes me valuable, what makes my continued existence worthwhile.
Last week, I helped my youngest daughter, she's 27, divorced and mother of 2 of my grandchildren, to fill out her FAFSA and get her college application started so she can better herself. She wants to be an Xray Tech - a Radiographer.
When I was much younger, I took college classes here and there as my military spouse moved from base to base and in the last couple of years I have toyed with the idea of pulling as many of my credits as possible together to continue my own college degree. I kept defeating myself before I began by saying I was too old to start again.
But I'm going to do it. I am 51 years old. The Dr. tells me I'll be lucky to live another 3 years. It will take me 4 years to complete my degree so I guess I'll have to make a liar out of him, won't I?
My degree will be in Clinical Social Work but my focus will be in Grief Counseling, although I will never call myself a Grief Counselor. People don't generally think of going to a Grief Counselor when a relationship ends, when their child suffers a Traumatic Brain Injury that changes their entire personality or when a hurricane blows their house into the next county.
And on that note, I want to thank every one of you who has listened to me over the last 2 months. You have all been my Grief Counselors, helping me through this process of loss and rebuilding. You may think you are just words on a white screen, but to me, you are each individual personalities, giving, supportive, helpful and appreciated.
So why do I prep? Because things can happen in the blink of an eye and change your world forever. Knowing that the life essentials of water, food, defense and shelter are taken care of gives you breathing room to grieve and rebuild.
Been reading Your posts and catching bits and pieces of Your story, You didn't display any obvious signs but I kept thinking You might be a little stressed or naturally wired up or something. Now I understand more of what it was. Thank You for the enlightenment. I can definitely identify better with a lot of it.

perhaps I prep also for looking at some of the headlines of my local newspaper;Russia consider Finland as a threat, wether we are a member of nato or not

I have been prepping seriously for 14 years now, before that we just kept a full larder of food and I've had various allotments(rented veg gardens to our American friends) over the years, but I got serious after 9/11 and our own 7/7 London bombings, various other things reinforced my views, transport strikes, flooding, snow and ice, fuel strikes, rail disasters, the London riots a few years ago, Jihadists, Iraq/Afghanistan and Syria. I just think anyone who isn't prepping after seeing all that and still says "it'll never happen" is an idiot and a fool and is living in "cloud cuckoo land"..

perhaps I prep also for looking at some of the headlines of my local newspaper;Russia consider Finland as a threat, wether we are a member of nato or not

"Russia consider Finland as a threat" by chance wonder if putin is related to jospeh stalin? given the two ruled/ruling by power and paranoia not so much by ideologue

they must be...heck we are 5,5 mil here..don't think we are the threat,they are..but something must be happening as our interiorminister and her cabinet are checking into dual-citizenships and the possibility to abolish them completly or some other solution,don't know if it's targeted to the migrants from the east or from south...those from the south seem to come here as refugees and later join the ranks of isis or al-shabaabh and there are already alot of them there..

I know my spelling will be wrong on the names of the Countries but has anyone read or heard the stories of when after WW2 when the Russians took full controll Lithalainia and Latavia the small nations on the Russian border . It was terrible . They made sure no one would resist .

I know my spelling will be wrong on the names of the Countries but has anyone read or heard the stories of when after WW2 when the Russians took full controll Lithalainia and Latavia the small nations on the Russian border . It was terrible . They made sure no one would resist .

1940 under a pact deal then again in 1945 when the nazis surrendered

yup, and Estonia...everyone that was a "threat" to Stalins communism was transported to siberia and most of them died there..worked to death..had Stalins offencive against Finland not been stopped,there were plans to deport every Finn to siberia aswell ,and no traintransport for that...they would have walked us there in hope of killing us all

Interviews from survivors that escaped Latvia said you could hear the boots on the road hours befor the troops got to thier town . Everyone stayed inside thinking as long as they stayed away from the soviets they would be ok . The Russians kicked in the doors shot the Men and Boys then had thier way with the Women then told them this house belongs to a soldier of the Red Army you now are a Citizen of the USSR make a living as best you can .

real "liberators" indeed they were... I'd rather kick a grizzly in the nuts and trust it won't harm me for being much smaller that I trust a russkie

My prepping was a gradual process, that I myself did not realize until just recently. It all started with a garden, then canning and storing, my children laughed at me until we had a hurricane, and then there they were at my door. I really believe society wants dependant citizens for a number of reasons. I'm just not willing to be a part of the agenda.

Latest posts

Back