Why Do We Prep?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compassrose,
and the food you cann is pure, no substitute for something, open the lid and look in;it's what you get ;)

So true.today I canned pears off one tree. The other one isn't producing this year for some reason. Anyway, I washed em and canned them and I know what's not in there!!!

I think the earthquake in California is a good example of why prepping is wise. The rioting and looting in Missouri is another good example. If you watch world news it will give you all kinds of reasons. I guess I just want to be as prepared as possible for just about anything life throws at me.

Just read the best blurb about why we prep:

Throughout our world’s history, man has always known how to survive: build fires, hunt, preserve food, find shelter, find water sources, etc. In just over the last 100 years, all those skills have been lost due to technology and our modern infrastructure. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my Android smart phone as much as the next guy. However, as a society we are a lot more fragile than people think. Any interruption in the supply lines of our hugely dependent society is going to cause mass panic. Look at Hurricane Katrina. Better yet, look at the Congo. “Well, this is America, not the Congo!” some people will say. Consider this: Take away the American people’s access to food and water for more than a week or two and you will see atrocities just as bad or worse than the Congo. Desperate people are the most dangerous kind. When someone’s kid hasn’t eaten in two weeks and they are watching them die, do not think for one second that the average American will not turn into a killer to get food for their child. It’s just human nature.

We all have our reasons. We talk about EMPs, Civil Unrest, Ebola, Terrorist Takeovers, etc. We also occasionally throw in something about natural disasters: hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and fires. Many of us are simply trying to live a more frugal, healthy and independent lifestyle.
I do a lot of research online and am often downloading eBooks to my Kindle with titles like "52 Easy Steps to a Frugal New Life" and "Grandma's Herbal and Homemade Remedies," "Gun Safety Guide" and "How To Build A Greenhouse."
But I also have an obsession for Preparedness Fiction, Disaster Fiction, Apocalyptic Fiction and I have 100's of those downloaded to my Kindle, as well.
98% of what I download is free and it's a good thing, too, as I read around 100 Kindle pages a day.
Last night, I went searching for more free fiction downloads under the search words "Disaster Fiction." I found one book about England suffering from a freak electrical storm that completely destroys the country called "The Night The Lights Went Out" by John Eider. I was having a bit of difficulty getting into that one because it starts in the middle of the story and "looks back" rather than starting at the beginning. So I went to one of the others I downloaded.
"From The Wreckage" by Michele G Miller is about a teenage girl from Tyler, TX. After the Friday night football game, a group of teens meet at the only real hangout in town. In a matter of moments, everything changes, everything she knew was gone. A tornado swept through the town, killing 45 people. This isn't a story about how they prepped for this eventuality or how they came together as a community. It is the story of one person, how suddenly life can change on Mother Nature's whim and how emotionally destructive a change like that can be.
We prepare with physical things: Guns, ammo, food, water, filters, fire starters, tents and camp stoves. We even think we are prepared mentally because we research and study and practice. We know what could happen and we think we are prepared for it. Some of us even hope for it to happen.
But can we ever really be emotionally prepared for the damage and the loss?
I recently suffered the loss of a relationship I thought would last the rest of my life. I've been a confused mess these last 2 months (in case none of you have noticed). I have disabilities and I have spent a lot of time asking myself what I have to offer, what makes me valuable, what makes my continued existence worthwhile.
Last week, I helped my youngest daughter, she's 27, divorced and mother of 2 of my grandchildren, to fill out her FAFSA and get her college application started so she can better herself. She wants to be an Xray Tech - a Radiographer.
When I was much younger, I took college classes here and there as my military spouse moved from base to base and in the last couple of years I have toyed with the idea of pulling as many of my credits as possible together to continue my own college degree. I kept defeating myself before I began by saying I was too old to start again.
But I'm going to do it. I am 51 years old. The Dr. tells me I'll be lucky to live another 3 years. It will take me 4 years to complete my degree so I guess I'll have to make a liar out of him, won't I?
My degree will be in Clinical Social Work but my focus will be in Grief Counseling, although I will never call myself a Grief Counselor. People don't generally think of going to a Grief Counselor when a relationship ends, when their child suffers a Traumatic Brain Injury that changes their entire personality or when a hurricane blows their house into the next county.
And on that note, I want to thank every one of you who has listened to me over the last 2 months. You have all been my Grief Counselors, helping me through this process of loss and rebuilding. You may think you are just words on a white screen, but to me, you are each individual personalities, giving, supportive, helpful and appreciated. cheats too good.
So why do I prep? Because things can happen in the blink of an eye and change your world forever. Knowing that the life essentials of water, food, defense and shelter are taken care of gives you breathing room to grieve and rebuild.

I'm not preparing for any of these reasons.

I prepare because it is simply better to be prepared than getting screwed by something that in the history of civilization has happened 1000s of times. - Whatever that may be.

I'm not preparing for any of these reasons.

I prepare because it is simply better to be prepared than getting screwed by something that in the history of civilization has happened 1000s of times. - Whatever that may be.

+1 on that. Many people choose to deny that natural disasters happen everyday. Wars and conflicts, too. Prepare to provide for yourself and your loved ones. To continue to live as comfortably as possible for as long as possible.

Latest posts

Back