Who has solar power for their portable ham station?

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Captjim_NM

Reaction score
I have solar power for my portable HF station. Both my QRP portable HF station and full power portable HF station have battery and solar power. Along with this set-up I can charge my HT radios. I use a fiberglass pole system to hoist my 20 meter antenna into the air. Kind'a hard to find trees in some parts of New Mexico. de KA5SIWgunshow antenna.JPG

backandbeyond

Reaction score
I bought this 20W fold out, it generates 1.1A @ 21V and covers the radio on receive only.

SOLAR02.jpg

I don't actually carry it into the field though as I like to set up in shady spots. Like a lot of kit, it was fun to buy and configure, then put in the filing cabinet.

RADIO 006.jpg

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have solar power for my portable HF station. Both my QRP portable HF station and full power portable HF station have battery and solar power. Along with this set-up I can charge my HT radios. I use a fiberglass pole system to hoist my 20 meter antenna into the air. Kind'a hard to find trees in some parts of New Mexico. de KA5SIWView attachment 12555
I have a 40ah, 20 ah and 6 ah Bioenno batteries and an array of solar panels. I also Use larger solar generators like the Goal Zero 1250 yeti. I use them to run my QRP, and 100 watt radios. Work great when camping and for Field Day and Winter Field Day. Bioenno now makes a charger so you can charge their batteries in the car.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score

Dave2001

God Like
Reaction score
Our ham radio club has multiple alternative power sources for in field use, we can field at least 10 setups for emergency usage base stations and many portable systems, In our area there are at least 15 radio clubs that have the same capability!!!!

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
They had a great following but I think they want us all to convert to digital. I have 2 Kenwood TS480-SAT's as well. They are like Hen's teeth now and unlike the boat anchor gear they'll be useful for decades.
I envy you. I wanted to get the TS-480HX (200 watts), but sadly never got off my butt and bought one. Now they are hard to find, and I am a little nervous about buying used radios.

backandbeyond

Reaction score
Now they are hard to find, and I am a little nervous about buying used radios.
You'd be lucky to get a new one now. One of mine was bought SH, it had been wide-banded, a simple mod. Once I was holidaying by the beach, a perfect location for HF but the bands were empty. I dialed over to 27Meg and that was alive with local traffic so I invented a callsign and joined in. Having 100W on the chook band was certainly an advantage and the rigs internal tuner handled it fine since it was so close to 11. I wanted the 200W also but I knew the tuner would be of more value to me.