Who has solar power for their portable ham station?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjim_NM

Reaction score
I have solar power for my portable HF station. Both my QRP portable HF station and full power portable HF station have battery and solar power. Along with this set-up I can charge my HT radios. I use a fiberglass pole system to hoist my 20 meter antenna into the air. Kind'a hard to find trees in some parts of New Mexico. de KA5SIW gunshow antenna.JPG

I bought this 20W fold out, it generates 1.1A @ 21V and covers the radio on receive only.

SOLAR02.jpg

I don't actually carry it into the field though as I like to set up in shady spots. Like a lot of kit, it was fun to buy and configure, then put in the filing cabinet.

RADIO 006.jpg

I have solar power for my portable HF station. Both my QRP portable HF station and full power portable HF station have battery and solar power. Along with this set-up I can charge my HT radios. I use a fiberglass pole system to hoist my 20 meter antenna into the air. Kind'a hard to find trees in some parts of New Mexico. de KA5SIWView attachment 12555
I have a 40ah, 20 ah and 6 ah Bioenno batteries and an array of solar panels. I also Use larger solar generators like the Goal Zero 1250 yeti. I use them to run my QRP, and 100 watt radios. Work great when camping and for Field Day and Winter Field Day. Bioenno now makes a charger so you can charge their batteries in the car.

They had a great following but I think they want us all to convert to digital. I have 2 Kenwood TS480-SAT's as well. They are like Hen's teeth now and unlike the boat anchor gear they'll be useful for decades.
I envy you. I wanted to get the TS-480HX (200 watts), but sadly never got off my butt and bought one. Now they are hard to find, and I am a little nervous about buying used radios.

Now they are hard to find, and I am a little nervous about buying used radios.
You'd be lucky to get a new one now. One of mine was bought SH, it had been wide-banded, a simple mod. Once I was holidaying by the beach, a perfect location for HF but the bands were empty. I dialed over to 27Meg and that was alive with local traffic so I invented a callsign and joined in. Having 100W on the chook band was certainly an advantage and the rigs internal tuner handled it fine since it was so close to 11. I wanted the 200W also but I knew the tuner would be of more value to me.

Latest posts

Back