White sweet potatoes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, when I try to grow any potatoes purchased from the market, they do not grow. I was told they treat them somehow so they don't sprout. Have you grown any of your new potatoes from potatoes purchased in the market?

Try buying organic ones as usually they are not treated to not sprout.

Many potatoes in the grocery are treated with a sprout inhibitor to discourage sprouting in storage but not all. Organic is your best chance at getting grocery store potatoes to sprout. If in doubt try chitting or presprouting them before planting.

Just a heads up seed potatoes sold are usually certified seed potatoes treated with fungicides usually mancozeb and should never be consumed by humans or fed to livestock.

My grandfather would cut up his potatoes and roll them in sulfur powder and then let them set for 3 days to heal over. The sulfur was supposed to help keep them from rotting.

But then again sulfur was used for everything. Anyone remember taking cream of tartar and sulfur tablets as a kid. Supposedly purifies the blood o_O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back