White Rice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't including those with abnormal sugar metabolism. Most people do not have hypoglycemia. Those with it would know how to deal with it. :)

Sugar in processed form is nothing but empty calories that spike your insulin level and make your cells insulin resistant. As treats they wont matter much but too many people "sugar-up" every day, several times a day. Constantly spiking their insulin. The result can be both obesity (with all it's ills) or diabetes. Complex carbs are a far better choice to fill up on when meat and other foods are scarce than breads, rolls, cookies, cake and other junk foods.
Unfortunately, there are people who abuse their diets everyday, but this would not be in a normal situation. This would be when something happens in our country, life is not normal, we can't just buy the junk we want and we need to survive. People will have to work hard, if not they will be the bullies (and if they are 'unhealthy' and overweight, how long do you really think they will last) or die.
I work and burn many calories throughout my normal day. I can only imagine if I had to burn more than I do now. Carbs can fill you and give you energy. I will continue to eat my redmeat that I have raised, slaughtered, processed, and put up, with veggies (including my potatoes) that I have grown, and the bread I make at home.
I can understand why you may be in a health kick thing, along with our government who thinks they can tell us what and what we can not eat or drink now days along with our children, but for a long term situation, people who have to get off their rears and not just come home from a sit down job to just sit down for dinner and watch TV, which is unfortunately the norm now days, may actually be forced to lose weight.
All carbs are not a bad thing. . . Just sayin.

I would be more worried about those depending entirely on mre's as a diet rather than those keeping rice as part of their diet.

Carbs can fill you and give you energy. I will continue to eat my redmeat that I have raised, slaughtered, processed, and put up, with veggies (including my potatoes) that I have grown, and the bread I make at home.

The only way to know if you're screwing up diet-wise is to have your Dr run blood tests. You will learn what your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are. How your liver and kidneys are functioning. If your blood sugar is too high. Your Dr would know which ones to run.

I can understand why you may be in a health kick thing,...

Try because I saw firsthand what happens to people who don't take care of themselves and load up on all the typical American crap foods that are causing severe obesity and all the health issues that alone causes. And all the carb loaded foods that cause insulin resistance. And all that salt.... you have no idea of the suffering unless you work with these people day to day and see it all the time.

....along with our government who thinks they can tell us what and what we can not eat or drink now days along with our children,....

Our children are the FATTEST they've ever been. There are now pre-teens developing typeII adult-onset diabetes. Young people in their 20s are already starting to develop arteriosclerosis. These are serious conditions and are helping drive up Health Ins premiums for everyone. Maybe the Gov should step in and try to stop this downhill slide.

....but for a long term situation, people who have to get off their rears and not just come home from a sit down job to just sit down for dinner and watch TV, which is unfortunately the norm now days, may actually be forced to lose weight.
All carbs are not a bad thing. . . Just sayin.

No, all carbs are not bad... as long as your blood sugar level is normal and you're not overweight.

You have to understand that many people are on their feet all day at work. Others may sit but have stressful jobs.... people get home from work and by the time they make dinner, clean up the kitchen, walk the dog.... whatever, they're too tired to go outside and chop wood or push a lawn mower, or go to a gym to work out.

I think that too much salt is a myth.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/12/salt-how-bad-is-it-really/

Recently a ton of a new research shows that it is murky at best. The original two research articles in the 70's that made salt bad was a bit faulty and blown way out of proportion. Just like Americans were urged not to eat butter and switch to margerine which I never did because it is basically rotten congealed oil masked with perfume.

I basically think that if salt was the culprit, it is because the salt we eat today is too clean and devoid of all the other minerals that generally accompany it forcing our bodies to compensate by using our minerals to put things back in the right so most of the salt I use is pink rock salt, or sea salt.

I think the biggest health issue we have is our omega 3 and omega 6 balance which most Americans I believe have a 1 to 42 ratio, when an ideal ratio is 1 to 1. The people who have the best are Okinawans with a 1-2 or 1-3 ratio. Corn is the culprit with it being thrown into our chicken and beef feed raising omega 6 through the roof.

If butter was grass-fed it would be a healthy fat like wild salmon, but no, we shove corn down like there is no tomorrow.

Basically I try to do a diet like the old timers, trusting the old ways. If carbs are bad, why are Chinese, the older ones some of the most long lived and healthiest? A Chinese diet is rice + vegetables, with meat as a flavoring agent for the vegetables.

I think that too much salt is a myth.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/12/salt-how-bad-is-it-really/

Recently a ton of a new research shows that it is murky at best. The original two research articles in the 70's that made salt bad was a bit faulty and blown way out of proportion. Just like Americans were urged not to eat butter and switch to margerine which I never did because it is basically rotten congealed oil masked with perfume.

Thanks.... this was a very interesting read. The question may never be answered to everyone's satisfaction. And it may depend on what else the person is consuming as to how harmful salt is or isn't.

The healthy old Chinese were very active and consumed very little animal fat in their diet. How much salt is debatable. How would it be transported all over China in the old days? So many areas were and still are remote there. Also, those people were quite small,.. when on a Western diet the Chinese are as tall and muscular as the typical American. They also start to suffer the same diseases we have..... so is that good or bad? Who is to judge?

I would be more worried about those depending entirely on mre's as a diet rather than those keeping rice as part of their diet.

Rice, especially white rice, a polished rice, is mainly carbs. It's not high in nutrition. We eat some rice but we buy the brown unpolished rice because it has more nutrition. We don't even need carbs in our diet. We can make our own as long as we get enough proteins.

Latest posts

Back