Where to Tune?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHrusky

Reaction score
In an emergency situation, such as grid down permanently, martial law, etc., does anyone have any suggestions on where to tune via Shortwave radio for updates of what is occurring and where? Information will be sketchy no doubt, but are there any recommended places at this point? With the newer digital SW radios, you cannot just turn a dial like we used to be able to on our 'old school' tube SW radios to come across items.

SW died a while back, hardly anyone aside from China uses it now. Your best bet is ham radio gear, a 2meter rig to monitor local repeaters and a HF rig for the longwave stuff. Any broadcast radio, like SW, will be full of government propaganda anyway but on the amateur bands you have real people giving you real on the ground reports.

SW died a while back, hardly anyone aside from China uses it now. Your best bet is ham radio gear, a 2meter rig to monitor local repeaters and a HF rig for the longwave stuff. Any broadcast radio, like SW, will be full of government propaganda anyway but on the amateur bands you have real people giving you real on the ground reports.
If you don't want multiple radios, you can get what is known as a "Shack in the Box." This is a radio that has all of the primarily used frequencies in it. One I recommend is the Yaesu FT-991. Mind you it isn't the most portable thing. There is also the Icom IC-7100. On the used market you can get a more portable radio, the Yaesu FT-857D. There are tons of options if you are good with having multiple radios. My choice for running two rigs are the IC-7300 for HF and for the local 2 meters and 70 CM I like the Yaesu FTM-400. If you want a decent amount of power, but only one band (2 meters) there is the Yaesu FT-2980. This radio puts out 80 watts. Hope this helps.

If you don't want multiple radios, you can get what is known as a "Shack in the Box."
Odd how all the classics have gone out of production, the 857-D, the kenwood TS 480 variants, great rigs and no replacements? No upgraded ones. The 7100 is no match for the 857 either, not for field work anyway. And the 8800R with its crossband repeater function, why the hell did they bin that? I think Yaesu has gone mad in the head.

Odd how all the classics have gone out of production, the 857-D, the kenwood TS 480 variants, great rigs and no replacements? No upgraded ones. The 7100 is no match for the 857 either, not for field work anyway. And the 8800R with its crossband repeater function, why the hell did they bin that? I think Yaesu has gone mad in the head.
A couple of great radios for 2m/440 is the Kenwood TM-D710A and the TM-V71A. They have cross band, and a complete work horses!

I watched a vid on the D710A , impressive radio. They don't seem to sell them down here though? I think the market here has been shrinking for that long it's just not profitable. Yaesu has good dealer representation though. I suppose it's like everything in the world, just look at the crap chinese products and the hams are lapping them up thinking they are getting a great deal. That's surely cutting into the big three's bottom line hey.

Sadly today with the big three, their focus is on D-Star and Fusion. These are great modes when the internet is up, not so much for simplex over a mile.

Backandbeyond, you have a good point. No way the China radios have the quality of an ICOM, KENWOOD or YAESU. I carry an ICOM V-80 mil spec HT. I require a HT that can be run on alkine batteries and change frequencies with out a computer. When you life depends on the outcome I don't trust knives or radios from China.

If you don't want multiple radios, you can get what is known as a "Shack in the Box." This is a radio that has all of the primarily used frequencies in it. One I recommend is the Yaesu FT-991. Mind you it isn't the most portable thing. There is also the Icom IC-7100. On the used market you can get a more portable radio, the Yaesu FT-857D. There are tons of options if you are good with having multiple radios. My choice for running two rigs are the IC-7300 for HF and for the local 2 meters and 70 CM I like the Yaesu FTM-400. If you want a decent amount of power, but only one band (2 meters) there is the Yaesu FT-2980. This radio puts out 80 watts. Hope this helps.
I run a 7300 with an AL-80B for HF and an FTM 100DR for the local VHF/UHF. Love that 7300 over any HF rig I've owned over the past 30 years.

Latest posts

Back