Where to find professional grade medical instruments?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in WI

Reaction score
I wonder if someone can point me towards a source for good quality basic medical tools? Everything keeps coming up Amazon, and the reviews aren't good. I really would like to find a basic set of suturing tools (sutures themselves are cheap and easy to find). I have a friend who's a midwife who agreed to teach me how to do it.
If I could find a used hospital or veterinary clinic set it would be great.

What kind of medical tools are you looking for?

This may help? If you go to the site, they give an overview of each company.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-medical-supply-companies-5115589

Best Medical Supply Companies of 2022​

What kind of medical tools are you looking for?

This may help? If you go to the site, they give an overview of each company.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-medical-supply-companies-5115589

Best Medical Supply Companies of 2022​

Thanks for the link! I'm looking very very basic surgical tools. Hemostats and needle holders for suturing, good tweezers, good suturing scissors... With practice, in an emergency, I would trust myself with minor procedures like that.

I wonder if someone can point me towards a source for good quality basic medical tools? Everything keeps coming up Amazon, and the reviews aren't good. I really would like to find a basic set of suturing tools (sutures themselves are cheap and easy to find). I have a friend who's a midwife who agreed to teach me how to do it.
If I could find a used hospital or veterinary clinic set it would be great.

Look on eBay. I bought several different sets on there. The tools come from Pakistan. They seem to be good quality. You will have to learn how to sanitize whatever you buy before use.

Coming from an ER/trauma center; all the Pakistan instruments were considered single use/ throw away.
Don't remember where the good ones came from..

You should also buy a pressure cooker.

A pressure cooker can be used as an autoclave to make everything surgically sterile.

Don't forget blue wash cloths. Blue wascloths can be used for surgical draping, which prevents infection.

And--fyi--these washcloths should be sterilized in an autoclave as well.

See link below.

You should also--for historical interest--read a book (from the 1800s) called The Etiology, Concept, and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever by Ignaz Semmelweis.

Load up on powdered chlorine in the form of pool shock, and use a solution of chlorine and water to disinfect your hands before doing any medical procedures.

You should also--for historical interest--read a book (from the 1800s) called The Etiology, Concept, and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever by Ignaz Semmelweis.

Load up on powdered chlorine in the form of pool shock, and use a solution of chlorine and water to disinfect your hands before doing any medical procedures.

Chlorine Dioxide Solution.

I do hope that people aren't trying to learn how to do surgery on Youtube, LOL.
:eek:
I haven't watched any YouTube videos on surgery, but there are definitely minor surgeries most could do in a situation where medical help isn't available. I'd rather people watch YouTube videos than go into it without any idea of basic anatomy and physiology.

People have been getting gangrenous limbs crudely sawn off and masses in breasts cut out since ancient times.

If you end up needing a pepper to do surgery for you, you probably weren't going to make it anyway.

I agree that gangrenous limbsneed to come off, and splinters dug out . . . but could you imagine someone watching youtube and trying to remove an appendix, or a bullet from a spine?

I imagine if the person was going to die anyway . . . then we could try.

But still . . . the idea makes my skin crawl.

You know . . . everybody always talks about sutures, but just keep in mind that superglue can be used to repair a cut.

Also, it's often a good idea to leave wounds open to the air. Closing a wound can "seal in" (for want of a better way of putting it) anaerobic bacteria. This can lead to serious, and/or life-threatening conditions like gas gangrene (which killed many soldiers in WWI), tetanus (or "lockjaw"), and "wound botulism."

In a crisis, one can take a piece of cotton cloth (like part of a tee shirt), and char it lightly with a flame before using it as a bandage with duct tape or Gorilla tape. Most wounds will usually do fine if they can be cleaned with soap and water and bandaged with lightly charred cotton cloth (the cloth is charred to kill bacteria).

Some of the most dangerous wounds are deep, penetrating wounds to face, neck, torso, and abdomen. Punjii sticks are often treated with a mixture of blood, raw egg, and feces . . . so my feeling is if someone has been stabbed by such a thing, then they will almost definitely die from a condition call sepsis, or septicemia.

Latest posts

Back