Where do you guys buy from?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maynard

Reaction score
Hi, I go by Maynard and I live in the south. I am a novice at this. I was wondering how to stock up on emergency food/water? Where is the best place to buy? I hope to be self-sufficient eventually, but you can always have more right? Anyway, where is the best place to go? Any other advice for a new prepper?

We save our own water in our used gallon milk jugs. In am emergency we can walk to a lake for water, boil it and use it. We haven't done much about emergency food though.

They say "eat what you prep, and prep what you eat"

With that in mind I think about the shelf stable foods you eat like pasta, sauce, canned foods ect. watch for sales and shop at discount stores in your area to stock up on these things. keep reading and thinking about what you want to do as you build up your pantry and by the time it is time to consider buying really long term stuff you will be informed enough to know if you want to buy that expensive freeze dried stuff and mre's or just put it together on your own with bulk bags of rice and beans etc.

I don't know if any of these are down by you but i find good deals and sales at:

save-a-lot
aldi's
costco
sam's club

If you can find a locally owned grocery store in a bad neigborhood they will likely have some good deals as well.

Welcome and thanks for joining. I think you'll find a lot of good info here. I tend to lean towards survivalist living, meaning off the land, but that's not for everyone. Stockpiling is good if you can bug in, but if you have to bug out, you leave a lot behind and if you haven't learned to live off the land, then it can be a disaster. There is another downside to survivalist living though.... If there is a nuclear power plant leak or other environmental disaster, the food and water supplies may be shot. It's a lot to think about, but I think you're in the right place...

Sounds like I have a lot to learn. Any good books or websites? That is what I was thinking Alabaster. If the ground is ruined from some kind of spill, I want to have enough food/water to get to a better spot.

This is a good site here and there are several others out there as well. I'll see if I can link them in a bit, cooking at the moment.

As for food, when you go shopping, get one for your cupboard and one for storage. You really should store what you eat. There are businesses that offer a year's supply of food, but honestly, you'll eat better if you just get what you like at the market. Do you can anything at home? If so, you can take advantage of meat sales and can that up as well.

Welcome to the forum.

All of our meat can be smoked and cured smoked and cured meat can hang in a meathouse for a long time but you gotta save salt salt is important for open preserving meats. I kill my own pigs chickens and beef I save wild edible seeds incase you bugout for a long time you can travel your food circle in the woods also I save my own jacob cattle beans , corn, rutabaga, butternut squash, carrot, kenebec potato seed, beets, rose hip seeds and I am a trapper and my trapps come in handy. I like my 22.calbers I can fit alot of shots in my pocket I have killed deer with them not a problem its all about shot placement and a riffle with no recoil can be deadly acurate and not to loud. Im a new member so I hope some of this info can be useful to you

Sounds like I have a lot to learn. Any good books or websites? That is what I was thinking Alabaster. If the ground is ruined from some kind of spill, I want to have enough food/water to get to a better spot.

Make sure you have some way to MOVE all your food and water when cars and trucks will not be running. The furthest you will get is where the gas in your car will take you. Also keep in mind that the criminal element will be looking for those who have food, water, guns and ammo. It wont be easy to move from place to place hauling food, water and guns.

Hi, I go by Maynard and I live in the south. I am a novice at this. I was wondering how to stock up on emergency food/water? Where is the best place to buy? I hope to be self-sufficient eventually, but you can always have more right? Anyway, where is the best place to go? Any other advice for a new prepper?
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

This is a good site here and there are several others out there as well. I'll see if I can link them in a bit, cooking at the moment.

As for food, when you go shopping, get one for your cupboard and one for storage. You really should store what you eat. There are businesses that offer a year's supply of food, but honestly, you'll eat better if you just get what you like at the market. Do you can anything at home? If so, you can take advantage of meat sales and can that up as well.

Welcome to the forum.
Well Maynard, Welcome to the forum. You will find alot of the guys(and Gals) here that have some very good ideas. old_anorak was sure right when he told you to buy and store what you like to eat. If you store something you don't like, just because it has a long shelf life, it will be the last to be eaten and you will gag on it. Another thing on the survival food you order on line, most of it taste like shit. We tried some and won't be ordering anymore. We are canning the things we like. When we started prepping We had to get a pressure canner. The best investment I ever made. We can everything from meat, veggies, soups, chili, to milk. We opened a jar of milk that had been canned 1 1/2 yrs. ago and it tasted like the day we canned it. If you have any questions, just ask and somebody will help.

Well Maynard, Welcome to the forum. You will find alot of the guys(and Gals) here that have some very good ideas. old_anorak was sure right when he told you to buy and store what you like to eat. If you store something you don't like, just because it has a long shelf life, it will be the last to be eaten and you will gag on it. Another thing on the survival food you order on line, most of it taste like shit. We tried some and won't be ordering anymore. We are canning the things we like. When we started prepping We had to get a pressure canner. The best investment I ever made. We can everything from meat, veggies, soups, chili, to milk. We opened a jar of milk that had been canned 1 1/2 yrs. ago and it tasted like the day we canned it. If you have any questions, just ask and somebody will help.
Oh, you said you were from USA. Well, that is a big place. If we knew where in the USA you lived we might be able to help you more. You will have to do different things, depending where you live. We don't need your address, just a state will help.

Latest posts

Back