When you can't get to your BOB or GHB...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
It was actually another post that got me thinking about this. The "What would you do" thread, where the idea is you couldn't get to your car/truck, etc. to grab your BOB or GHB.

I keep a tiny bit of things on me, but it got me to thinking what I could have with me (I mean right with me) all the time. Obviously, I'm not bringing a pistol into my workplace, for example, so even though my GHB/BOB looks pretty innocent from appearances, not taking that chance....

So, I looked at my laptop bag. Here's some potential, but not a lot of room. I came up with:

BARE BONES BAG (Laptop bag)

WATER – Purification tabs, water bottle (metal) with carabiner, MiO , NOTE: This is just carried, not in bag, used as my normal water bottle at my desk. (would clip this to a belt loop in an emergency)

FOOD – (1) Bag of freeze dried food, dried fruit, multi-vitamins, (2) ration bars

DEFENSE – Folding knife (clips to belt), Combat knife (will go on belt), Swiss Army Knife (on keychain)

FIRST AID – Basic first aid kit (small, size off a soap dish)

SMALL FLASHLIGHT – LED one (4”), also a penlight (on keychain)

LIGHTER – Zippo, and a box of matches

MAP – Covering way home

SURVIVAL WHISTLE – Also has compass

EMERGENCY BLANKET - thermal kind, metallic (cheap)

EMERGENCY PONCHO - (cheap one, not a real thick one)

BASIC LOCKPICK SET

PARACORD BRACELET – Worn on wrist

AM/FM RADIO – Very small one

BINOCULARS – Small ones

I like it, A LOT, great idea. BARE BONES BAG, AWESOME !! You could probably cut it down to just a edc in your pockets. Just enough to get by for a few hours .

Could. I have to still actually TRY this out, to see what I can fit in it, but I will do so. I think all these will fit. (and none would be a violation of policy). Well, maybe the combat knife, but not like I'm going around showing it off. It would be in the bottom of the bag, and same color (black) as the inside of the back, and in a sheath.

My current EDC (Every Day Carry) is a paracord bracelet, swiss army knife on the keychain, and penlight on the keychain, as well as a credit card size multi-tool in the wallet. Since I have the laptop bag anyhow, makes sense to use it for a little extra. (even if just forgetting lunch one day). :D

A localized, short term disaster is still a pretty valid threat, and it would be nice to have something on me wherever I am, even though only about 60' away from the truck and my BOB.

I could also bring in another baseball cap (that has 4 LED lights in the bill). Just keep it under the desk.

Last edited:
great idea on a everyday bag..like its been pointed out.a back pack wouldnt look right.and folks will wonder untill it becomes a problem.so a lap top case is a great idea.folks will notice it.but pay no real attion to it.

I'm a little jealouse of a woman's purse! I have a multi tool on my belt at all times and a small led light in my pocket, I guess the keys could be a weapon, and a pen is potentially a weapon. That's about all I always carry, but I like this idea and will look for things to add to my keyring. Also may consider carrying something like a clean sip straw. I wonder what the smallest one is out there. Yeah, the nine mill is on my side most times, but not at work. I do wear a leather belt also that could have some uses. Anyway I'm looking at it though, there's only so much you can have in your pockets, a bag of some type would be the way to get more prepared.

I like the idea of a barebones kit but I would go so much as a altoids tin size. Also, its bearing in mind the fact that I already carry

1. Pen light (LED Lenser Pocket LED)
2. Victorinox Swiss Army knife - small (bottle opener, blade, tooth pick and pincer)

So inside the Altoids Tin would be

1. Hotel Sewing Kit
2. Band aid
3. Lighter
4. 20min Candle
5. Hard Candy
6. tooth pick
7. Salt/Pepper/Sugar

My Altoids tin EDC is currently still a work in progress but this is what I'm aiming.

Of course, I keep my 40 oz water bottle in office and I have a ration bar in my bag already, together with mouth wash and perfume (I used to do corporate sales!)

My Altoids tin EDC is currently still a work in progress but this is what I'm aiming.

[/quote]

I have to agree on the altoids tin, there is some threads around on them.

I have to agree on the altoids tin, there is some threads around on them.[/quote]
yes, yes he does! some good ones, which is why I have 2 Altoid tins fully loaded in my glovebox, in my car.....that doesn't run anymore lol, so, tyvm for this thread, because at this point, I take the bus to college and I too usually only carry my laptop bag that both of those will fit in. I cant remember off the top of my head exactly whats in them, but heres what I can remember:
in the first:
I put my actual gear:
I have like 100ft of fishing line (fishing/snare traps etc)
a lighter with a led flashlight on it
fishing hooks
fishing weights of various sizes
water-proof matches
and a small swiss army knife
there may be 1 or 2 more small idems
in the second:
my med kit:
badaids
neosporine
alcohol pads
needle and thread
waterproof matches
a lighter w/a led light
and a small swiss army knife
again, there may be 1 or 2 I left out
both, mainly because their stuffed to the brim, are wrapped closed in black electrical tape, which can also be of use.
BUT, some advice I would give, if you don't already lol, think about stuff around you you could use if that happens, like if you're at work, seek stuff out n have a game plan, you know, just in case.

i always have a utilty knife,a gerber multi plier tool and cell phone on my belt at all times.i also have a small led clip on flash light that i keep cliped to my pocket.and it has a magnet on one end.

That's just it. Doesn't take a SHTF event to make use of EDC equipment. Seems like every day, something comes up where the multi-tool or pocket knife comes in handy.

got that right.i rarely use my utilty knife.but the flash light and multi pliers i carry,i pretty much use everyday.i also have toe nail clipper and a multi fingernail clippers as well.its nail clipper,finger nail file sissor twizzer bottle opener and 1 flat tip and 1 phillps screw driver..it all folds up small n nicely where i carry them in my pocket..i've use the nail clipper i dunno how many times..and before anyone ask.it's been so long since i got it.i dont remember where i got it..lol

Latest posts

Back