Helpful Info. When did you check for expirations on your medical supplies?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Many of you know that as part of your preps routines that you do the first in/first out theory on food, water, ammo, etc. So I'd like to ask, when was the last time you inspected your medical kit for expired supplies? When was the last time you checked for the expiration on your field bandages? Did you know that their was an expiration on them? Do you know what you can do to extend some of them, so they are not a total waste?

So if I leave anything out, Warriorhealer22, Doc Pops or whoever wants to add to the thread please do. This is a short one for me because its a busy week at work for me.

So check those ointments, throw out the expired medications (many of you know not to give drugs out that are not used for that particular treatment, if your unsure use a Physicians Desk Reference, but bigger no-no is not give expired drugs which may have even more dire consequences.

For those contemplating on the use of dressings, don't forget you can use a incubator with sterile bags to extend the shelf life. If you have scalpels, scissors, etc...hopefully you have them sterilized yearly. Where can you find a sterilizer...know anyone with a doctors clinic that does procedures...stop in and ask if they wouldn't mind doing this simple procedure for you.

While your at it, take a current inventory and plan to purchase replacements.

Great topic. I check and record expiration dates on everything that goes in to my bag but I didn't know that bandages could expire. Will look into that. Also never thought about instrument sterilization.... My dad is a doctor with his own office, I'm sure he'd sterilize my kit for me. Good stuff Bob.

Morning, before I have to turn off my computer, state testing today, I am going to put out a thread later this week on some issues on IDK kits...its more of a warning on foreign made bandages. Didn't see this one on CDC press release, caught it up on a companies site, but before I do, I want to validate the source of info.

That is great that your Dad is a doctor, saves you for hunting for medical supplies. Yes, for quite some time bandages, those that are used for large injuries have been under scrutiny, I figure I would put it out there, its up to everyone to make a decision on what they want to do with it.

Regards,

great topic..i havent set up my 1st aid kit yet on account of money..but yet,im glad to know that about bandages n all before buying any.cause i now know to look for the expiration dates on them before buying any..

I don't throw out most, because often expired just means not as effective. While some do become harmful, it's important to note these and toss, but for most, I just separate out the expired ones. I typically include this in my4 month checklist. If too far beyond date, then sure, toss 'em.

As usual it's an other fine post bob, I'm on top of the dates...I use a black marker pen on everything and keep a log of all preps. As others have said I too didn't know about use by dates on bandages.....Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow:rolleyes:

Forgot to say you can use a baby bottle sterilizer or a dishwasher for your med kit and if you don't have one just boil in a pot.

As usual it's an other fine post bob, I'm on top of the dates...I use a black marker pen on everything and keep a log of all preps. As others have said I too didn't know about use by dates on bandages.....Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kudo Snowflake!

I should clarify to all of you that not all manufacturers place an expiration date. Typically, medical companies that have contracts with government agencies such as the military have higher requirements and in many cases these manufactures instead of making two packaging labels will just use the same labels and print job for the government, as they would for the over the counter or for civilian medical facilities. In most cases, the Joint Commission on Accreditation for Healthcare Organizations inspects or has specific checklist to ensure patient safety in the civilian world...one of the many criteria is reduction of nosocomial infections (example MRSA). This is one reason, bandages get an expiration date stamped for military use. Note: JCHAO criteria apply, but are included into the Health Inspection Service (HSI) inspections (AKA Inspector General's for the old time military).

So please note, bandages such that you would buy from Johnson and Johnson (Band-Aid), don't usually mark their products for expiration. In theory this is a practical sense and behavior because companies bank on that you will use them in minor injuries, etc.

My intent on the thread was not to have you throw away your medical supplies, quite the contrary, they are still serviceable, provided they are sealed in a primary wrapping (normally the internal packaging) and not exposed to outsides contamination. Typically, the military will inspect kits (IFK's) and decide whether the lot is serviceable and mission ready. Typically, this fall under unit supply or in some cases depot level inspection. This is similar to the inspection criteria and sampling we would do with military rations, etc...another thread that I guess I will write...and for sure their will be questions/numerous clarifications. My reasons for recommending sterilization packets is that you can continue to use them as serviceable sterile and also for those who have bought those medical surgical tools, you should consider having them sterile packed and then sterilized, so you can use them in a true event, that is if you have been properly trained to use them.

I agree with Gazrok's post (forgot to mention it, so thank you), you should never throw them away, if they are open, save them, use them for training, I have a cardboard box of medical supplies that we use in training (saves opening up the real stuff) and is great for self-aid buddy care training.

My reason for the post was simple, take a look at expired aspirin, Motrin, antiseptics...etc and make a decision to replace them. Second reason because it is the beginning of tornado season. The shifting of the Gulf Stream due to Global Warming (my opinion), areas not normally affected by natural disasters may see a rise in incidence and that a up to date medical kits would be just one prep check off.

For a change, they are actually predicting a relatively calm hurricane season this year...which likely means they'll be wrong and we're screwed, hehe....

Thanks for the kudo Snowflake!

I should clarify to all of you that not all manufacturers place an expiration date. Typically, medical companies that have contracts with government agencies such as the military have higher requirements and in many cases these manufactures instead of making two packaging labels will just use the same labels and print job for the government, as they would for the over the counter or for civilian medical facilities. In most cases, the Joint Commission on Accreditation for Healthcare Organizations inspects or has specific checklist to ensure patient safety in the civilian world...one of the many criteria is reduction of nosocomial infections (example MRSA). This is one reason, bandages get an expiration date stamped for military use. Note: JCHAO criteria apply, but are included into the Health Inspection Service (HSI) inspections (AKA Inspector General's for the old time military).

So please note, bandages such that you would buy from Johnson and Johnson (Band-Aid), don't usually mark their products for expiration. In theory this is a practical sense and behavior because companies bank on that you will use them in minor injuries, etc.

My intent on the thread was not to have you throw away your medical supplies, quite the contrary, they are still serviceable, provided they are sealed in a primary wrapping (normally the internal packaging) and not exposed to outsides contamination. Typically, the military will inspect kits (IFK's) and decide whether the lot is serviceable and mission ready. Typically, this fall under unit supply or in some cases depot level inspection. This is similar to the inspection criteria and sampling we would do with military rations, etc...another thread that I guess I will write...and for sure their will be questions/numerous clarifications. My reasons for recommending sterilization packets is that you can continue to use them as serviceable sterile and also for those who have bought those medical surgical tools, you should consider having them sterile packed and then sterilized, so you can use them in a true event, that is if you have been properly trained to use them.

I agree with Gazrok's post (forgot to mention it, so thank you), you should never throw them away, if they are open, save them, use them for training, I have a cardboard box of medical supplies that we use in training (saves opening up the real stuff) and is great for self-aid buddy care training.

My reason for the post was simple, take a look at expired aspirin, Motrin, antiseptics...etc and make a decision to replace them. Second reason because it is the beginning of tornado season. The shifting of the Gulf Stream due to Global Warming (my opinion), areas not normally affected by natural disasters may see a rise in incidence and that a up to date medical kits would be just one prep check off.
What's Kudo???? It's not a thing we say in Scotland. All my med stuff is in date and fine....No BB dates on my bandages. I agree with Gazrok as well...If you can use it for training then you should.

Snowflake,

I get started on a thread and forget to also say other options like saving it for training...etc

[
What's Kudo???? It's not a thing we say in Scotland. All my med stuff is in date and fine....No BB dates on my bandages. I agree with Gazrok as well...If you can use it for training then you should.

Snowflake,

"Kudo" means praise or complement. Sorry, its an American slang. I use it with my students all the time, quick reinforcement to make them smile and work harder.

Exactly, the post was more to get everyone who is reading to check their medical kits, people tend to check dates of expired food, water, but forget that an unopened bottle of aspirin might be expired in their kits.

Hope all is well.

Ok thx, I'm smiling now.
Glad you are. Hope all is well. Just got done with state exams, stood for 8 1/2 hours, so I am totally exhausted. Hard to keep teenagers quiet for 4 hours after a test, but they won't early release them after they complete the exam, so we have to keep them quiet, with consequences. Eventually most teachers can't do it, my kids know just by the look to be good. I normally tell them to bring a blanket and pillow/allow them to sleep in the back of the class once the test is turned in.

Thanks god we are done with that. Only 45 more days and I am on break...but have to head to my summer job in Atlanta. That is not fun either, fly out on Sunday night, back home on Thursday night.

Glad you are. Hope all is well. Just got done with state exams, stood for 8 1/2 hours, so I am totally exhausted. Hard to keep teenagers quiet for 4 hours after a test, but they won't early release them after they complete the exam, so we have to keep them quiet, with consequences. Eventually most teachers can't do it, my kids know just by the look to be good. I normally tell them to bring a blanket and pillow/allow them to sleep in the back of the class once the test is turned in.
Thanks god we are done with that. Only 45 more days and I am on break...but have to head to my summer job in Atlanta. That is not fun either, fly out on Sunday night, back home on Thursday night.
Our students are doing Exams soon. Whats your summer job...If you don't mind me asking. I like the school hols to much for working the hols, That's my camping time. I guess you like to keep busy Bob:)

where I live it's pretty hard to get your dr to prescribe antibiotics,so next month when going to estonia,have to visit a pharmacy and get some,all other seems to be ok

where I live it's pretty hard to get your dr to prescribe antibiotics,so next month when going to estonia,have to visit a pharmacy and get some,all other seems to be ok

Jontte,

Good to hear from you. I would make sure you go online and review a Physician's Desk Reference on the medications you are looking for, also make sure they are from a reputable pharmaceutical. I cringe every time, I hear a thread on some prepper websites that people are heading to Mexico for medications. Today, you just don't know what your getting. In my opinion as a rule I stay away from them since not sure of the formulary. Anyway just my opinion, you know the area better than I.

Cheers

Hi Silent Bob,
yes I understand the risks in buying meds like that,estonia is supposed to be quite safe to buy from,but I will do some pre-checking no use buying placebo and they might not sell anymore without a valid precription as they did before joining the EU.
always nice to hear from you :)
so your exams over for now,tired feet??

take care my friend

Hi Silent Bob,
yes I understand the risks in buying meds like that,estonia is supposed to be quite safe to buy from,but I will do some pre-checking no use buying placebo and they might not sell anymore without a valid precription as they did before joining the EU.
always nice to hear from you :)
so your exams over for now,tired feet??

take care my friend

My only concern there for you. Same here Jontte. Yes state exams are done for me, praying for a 65% pass rate of my students, I know that is low, but last years crop we had only 38% pass the exam. I retooled my entire lesson plans, instead of teaching history like I wanted too, had to teach half of it from curriculum and the other part teach them to take tests and teach them how to recognize test questions, really sad about American education these days, we keep falling behind more and more. Thank god, we are getting out of the past wars, some of these kids will shoot their foot off, going to drive drill instructor and trainer nuts...they don't like to read and they want everything catered to them. I had two kids tell me they were joining the Marines, I smiled and gave them the sideways glance and told them, the Marines are going to leave them on the bus, when they got to MCRD Paris Island or MCRD San Diego. I told my friend, who is still in the Marines, that he is going to get some momma boys. My opinion, I know how to shape up schools, hire drill instructors and let them introduce the "pole" to them, not only will they not forget the experience, might actually teach them to fear those in authority. Right now, even our cops can't do anything to them (Texas can't ticket kids...dang liberals).

As for the feet, I still wear boots, don't feel anything anyway because everything below the torso is numb most of the time from my screwed up spine. As I said to JimLE, I manage.

Take care freind, good hearing from you;

well,we have those same kids here aswell,they don't wanna do anything,god forbidd if you tell them to follow instuctions and follow some simple rules..I can't ticket kids under 15 either and they now it,to be honest,some of my co-workers belong to that air-head group,still wondering how they managed to get through the exams and get the job.
so you have some aspiring new marines,don't think the army or marines gonna do anything with someone who cannot grasp or understand rules,and why you are following rules, in the field that kind of thinking get you killed.

take care my friend and watch your 6

Latest posts

Back