Helpful Info. When did you check for expirations on your medical supplies?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of you know that as part of your preps routines that you do the first in/first out theory on food, water, ammo, etc. So I'd like to ask, when was the last time you inspected your medical kit for expired supplies? When was the last time you checked for the expiration on your field bandages? Did you know that their was an expiration on them? Do you know what you can do to extend some of them, so they are not a total waste?
I check my med bag yearly.
The inspection date is written on the front of the bag so I notice it every time I move the bag around the car for whatever reason.
The contents don't get used up as fast as they did while I was still in the military.
As to expiration dates for bandages, as long as the wrapping is intact I don't worry too much about that.
Salves, ointments etc yeah I pay more attention to that sort of thing.

I check my med bag yearly.
The inspection date is written on the front of the bag so I notice it every time I move the bag around the car for whatever reason.
The contents don't get used up as fast as they did while I was still in the military.
As to expiration dates for bandages, as long as the wrapping is intact I don't worry too much about that.
Salves, ointments etc yeah I pay more attention to that sort of thing.

Sorry TC, just catching up on past emails..just got really busy late part of June and all of July with my contract work, vacation and preparing for another year in education. I think its great that you place an inspection date on your bag, guess part of our mil training. I'd consider getting some of those disposable temperature stickers that you can place on your inspection tag. The temp sticker can let you know how hot your bags have been exposed giving you an idea on when you should rotate items.

I know having grown up in Central New York that the temps in cars do get warm in the summer and hot temperatures do degrade some medical items. Not knowing how you store your bags or if you rotate them out of your vehicle under extreme temps, I just wanted to give you a heads up on it. Ointments such as Bacitracin and also if you have the military/civilian burn jel, cold packs (the active ingredients can over time cause the pack to burst) or quick clot bandages (the ingredients used to clot) degrade in hot temperatures. Part of the reason why the military logistic folks inspect the IFAK and switch out the clot bandages when they near their expiration dates.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the post and reminding us all to tag a ITD on the bag. I do them, I just take it for granted that people do it too.

Latest posts

Back