Wheat storage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

English Prepper

Reaction score
Hi there. I've just bought some foodsafe buckets for wheat storage. We make our own bread and bread flour is getting harder and harder to find. The buckets are airtight and try as I might I can't find the best way for me to store wheat. Could anyone please give an estimate of the time that wheat would still be usable under the following conditions:

1. Just stored in the airtight foodsafe buckets
2. Stored as above but with oxygen absorbers in the buckets
3. Stored as above but with the wheat in mylar bags

Thanks

Yes, I would recommend you start using it right away. Not necessarily everyday, but enough to know the process and be comfortable grinding it and baking your own bread.

Now that is a great idea and something that never occured to me. I would have just left things until i was down to my last loaf and then tried to work something out. Thanks Proud Prepper. Any suggestions on storage?

Now that is a great idea and something that never occured to me. I would have just left things until i was down to my last loaf and then tried to work something out. Thanks Proud Prepper. Any suggestions on storage?
Here in S A on the coast with high humidity 85% & above I store 10kg bags of Flour in buckets ( total 12 buckets ) ,I pump in Nitrogen ( 2 holes in the lid ) then seal the holes with sellotape , these I have had in storage ( rotation ) for more then 2 years, still makes bread with no problems I find it is the yeast that makes the bread , by this I mean different brands have an effect on the finished loaf , I use Nitrogen for many dried goods that I store , I have dried milk powder , expiry 2013 using with no problems , I bought an Oxygen bottle ,empty it weighs 10. 3 Kg , put on a regulator , the pipe I use was the thinnest Diameter that I could buy ,so that the Nitrogen is not coming out in high volume , works for us

Hi there. I've just bought some foodsafe buckets for wheat storage. We make our own bread and bread flour is getting harder and harder to find. The buckets are airtight and try as I might I can't find the best way for me to store wheat. Could anyone please give an estimate of the time that wheat would still be usable under the following conditions:

1. Just stored in the airtight foodsafe buckets
2. Stored as above but with oxygen absorbers in the buckets
3. Stored as above but with the wheat in mylar bags

Thanks

The shelf-life of undamaged wheat berries, stored at 10% moisture or less, in an airtight container is six months, wheat berries repackaged into sealed oxygen-free containers such as a Mylar bag or #10 can have a shelf-life of 30 plus years and one year stored in the freezer. Wheat Berries Shelf Life: Long & Short Term Storage – Ready Squirrel

I put mine in a "food saver" system Like this.
1657287173027.png

Throw an oxygen absorber in each vacuumed sealed plastic bag, bag over it with a mylar sealed bag and another O2 absorber and a desiccant, then put it in a food grade bucket. I double bag. So far, I have used the whole wheat berries stored like this to make flour 5 years later and even plant to grow, and they have worked just fine.

Latest posts

Back