Must Read What's your 2020 prepping plans and goals?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
up North we don't get a lot of sun to justify the cost for a large battery bank with panels
Hey Mav, look into the possibility of a small wind turbine to get the electricity to your batteries. You can also use it directly like the alternator in your car does...only the excess produced by the alternator goes to the battery, most of it gets used directly by the lights, radio and electrical seats, windows and fan motors. GP

We are working on improving the home here mostly. Making it more enjoyable and finishing projects. Just added a pool and am going to repaint the house soon. Adding a porch on the east side too. It gets so hot now mid day that I break during the worst of it now. Allready looking forward to fall.

We already upgraded propane tank capacity. I plan to upgrade and expand our solar energy system. Expand the chicken coop. More ammo. Add another one or two people to our group. An upgrade on our reloader and more reload supplies. Plan on getting a milking cow and her calf. And getting more ammo.

As of right now, we are expanding my goat barn another 16ft x 20ft and I want to redo my goat milking area and staunch along with making repairs to my hay manger. I would love to get a new milk cow @Rellgar. When we found Betsey she was listed on the online local classifieds as a nurse cow. Just so happened that the guy bought her from a dairy to feed some calves that lost their momma. She was already trained for milking. . . She just had to get used to being milked by hand verses by a machine.

My 2020 is going to involve in investing every spare penny I have on prep gear, tools, fuel, food and supplies because I think everything is going udders up.

And my dear wife and all of her associates some 200 of them have decided that their trips to the US of A on organised tours is not going to happen for at least 5 years as they now consider the places they like to be simply to dangerous, IE Florida, California, San Francisco, New Orleans, Georgia, Alabama, New York, Denver etc. However they feel the same about London, Rome, Paris and Berlin.

• With four kids we'll be bugging-in in most scenarios. But I'm currently updating the bug out bags.
  • We're slowly increasing our supplies every time we go to the store. Currently have 3 months worth.
  • During lockdown we found we needed more activities to occupy the kids so we've stocked up on board games, card games, activity books, art and craft supplies, reading books, and toys like lego.
  • We've manage to build a financial safety net. We have enough to cover two years of expenses.
  • We're aiming to both get our firearms licence this year.
  • I want to get a container garden started but it's winter here.
  • We're currently renting but are aiming to buy a piece of land near the end of 2020 and build a house on it. We both have experience with animal husbandry as well as killing and processing our own meat. I have a green thumb. So we'll be aiming to be self-sufficient-ish.
  • My partner wants to get a bug out boat. He's been working on his fishing skills

continue the way i'm going, i'm so far out in the English countryside bugging out isn't required.
keep topping up my food stores and may get some more crossbow bolts, looking at expanding the garden and growing more, grow some now but a lot of food is so cheap at the moment, our weekly market reopened after the lockdown was lifted 2 weeks ago, I thought we'd lost that for good so very glad its back, we've had a market here since the 12th century so losing it would have been a disaster.

continue the way i'm going, i'm so far out in the English countryside bugging out isn't required.
keep topping up my food stores and may get some more crossbow bolts, looking at expanding the garden and growing more, grow some now but a lot of food is so cheap at the moment, our weekly market reopened after the lockdown was lifted 2 weeks ago, I thought we'd lost that for good so very glad its back, we've had a market here since the 12th century so losing it would have been a disaster.
I’m sure that over all that time that market has survived other pandemics and turmoil many times. Glad it’s a good resource again for you.

I’m sure that over all that time that market has survived other pandemics and turmoil many times. Glad it’s a good resource again for you.
yes it survived the Foot and Mouth outbreak before we moved here.
driving through and seeing empty fields and smelling the stench of the fires was something else.

Garden and outbuildings
  • Clear more space for soft fruit bushes and top fruit, and build decent raised beds in the meadow
  • Extend the wood store, fit more water butts and run a water pipe down to the greenhouse
  • Fix a permanent site for the plastic-cover greenhouses
  • Get a fresh coat of wood preservative on the sheds and re-felt the roofs
  • Start work on converting the far shed into half woodstore and half henhouse
  • Start planning my perennial veg, fruit and herbs, depending on what does well in the area
House and money
  • Waterbath and pressure can more more veg and fruit
  • Make loads of chutneys, pickles, sauerkraut, cassis, apple cider vinegar, mead, etc.
  • Get decent thermal black-out curtains fitted in the bedrooms - I grew up farther north than this but didn't think about how light it would be here around the summer solstice!
  • Look for more gardening and handywork in the village and the immediate area - driving 9 miles to work isn't so bad, but it would be good to be able to walk
  • Practise, practise, practise with my solar cookers as soon as the sun feels like reappearing
Community
  • Keep supporting my elder neighbours
  • Maintain the relationships formed with people I've met during the lockdown
  • Join my local Community Council and push for more local food-growing, a repair cafe, etc.
  • Finally, when safe and sensible, invite my neighbours round for a house-warming shindig :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back