What's new where you live?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got too hot for the regular masks I was using so I'm now using a bandana with half of it rolled up from the corner, so that I only have to breathe through one layer. It was getting too hot for a folded over bandana too, and also it was a bit difficult to breath through the two layers.

The rolled up part goes in which makes a seal around my nose. Breathing is MUCH easier than through two layers and I can feel the incoming air on my face as it comes through the cloth which keeps my face cool.

I social distance, sanitize, and wear my mask any time that i have to be around someone. I also take precautions when I purchase my own groceries and feel like they should do the same. Tom Hanks can kiss my ### unless he also has severe anxiety and is unable to take meds for it. I can’t breathe on a good day and just loading my SUV while wearing the mask makes me feel like I’m about to pass out. Lol

The WHO had finally admitted that the virus does NOT stay on surfaces like they had been telling us for weeks, so I don’t see a problem in you not wearing a mask. Wear gloves and don’t touch your face. Put the items in the back of your car and don’t cough on them.

The WHO had finally admitted that the virus does NOT stay on surfaces like they had been telling us for weeks, so I don’t see a problem in you not wearing a mask. Wear gloves and don’t touch your face. Put the items in the back of your car and don’t cough on them.
They also say that respiratory transmission is the primary was to catch this. They are now saying the virus can remain floating in the air much longer than they first thought. So by this reasoning wearing gloves is less important and a mask is more important. Just do the best you can to protect yourself and others out there folks.

We have to wear masks at work . I wear a bandana or a lightweight neck gaiter . I alternate them . One neck gaiter has a big crucifix across it .
While not at work I do not wear one .
We are required to wear some type of mask when in the homes of our clients, or when we have anyone in our office for a meeting, and all visitors to the office are required to wear them. We have neck gaiters with the company logo, many different styles of cloth masks, plenty of surgical masks and some of the KN-95 masks that were approved for use in the US. Our employees can choose between them for the most part, though in higher risk situations the N95 "equivalent" is required. We don't care for COVID positive clients so the main risk is actually our aides giving the virus to their clients, or spreading it around at the office during meetings, interviews, or other close contact.

We have rain every so often right now but it is not enough to sustain my garden even with trying to water in between with only able to do 1 sprinkler at a time. . . . Have I said before that I so hated neighbor talked hubby into a lower pump. . . . It is getting sun burnt horribly right now and just about done. I knew it was coming. Squash produce is barely making now but I will leave it because it is what I can use on a daily basis. Also it means that I dont have to weed or mulch those rows any more right now. As for my tomatoes, I am still babying them with watering, tying, and pruning. I have a years worth of what I need but I am hoping to stretch it out to 2. Some things yes but others are a no. . . sons have already been asking what I have canned up and are ready to come get. Melons have done really well but unfortunately I think even those will be ending soon. Mom stopped by for hers yesterday. Think the only thing that will be left growing will be the dry beans and okra, which is normal for this time of year. I can actually start planting another "spring" type garden at the end of Sept.

Temps in the mid 80's daily which is norm for this time of year. Traveled to Knoxville yesterday and they were in the 90's and burning up. Makes a huge difference. They are about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of us gardening wise. The farm I visited was a friends and they were upset that a bear cleaned out their peach trees overnight but also broke the tree up getting them. It was some peach trees that I had grafted for them several years ago. Note to those of you with new farms those dogs can be a help. In the past they had a large dog that helped discourage the bears but their dog had died. Hoping to get some rain this afternoon as we are starting to see pop up afternoon showers around regularly. We continue to water, weed and pick almost daily. Both the solar and electric dehydrator are going full of green onions. never a dull moment this time of year. Also masks were mandatory there now.

Temps in the mid 80's daily which is norm for this time of year. Traveled to Knoxville yesterday and they were in the 90's and burning up. Makes a huge difference. They are about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of us gardening wise. The farm I visited was a friends and they were upset that a bear cleaned out their peach trees overnight but also broke the tree up getting them. It was some peach trees that I had grafted for them several years ago. Note to those of you with new farms those dogs can be a help. In the past they had a large dog that helped discourage the bears but their dog had died. Hoping to get some rain this afternoon as we are starting to see pop up afternoon showers around regularly. We continue to water, weed and pick almost daily. Both the solar and electric dehydrator are going full of green onions. never a dull moment this time of year. Also masks were mandatory there now.

It is warming up here now too. Supposed to be high 80s today. The garden is doing well. Am going to have to water it this morning and everything in the greenhouse of course.

What a shame about the peach trees! :rolleyes: And the time lost is sad too. Big dogs definitely come in handy. Ours have run of bears a few times.

How are you healing? Hope you aren’t pushing yourself too hard.

We have rain every so often right now but it is not enough to sustain my garden even with trying to water in between with only able to do 1 sprinkler at a time. . . . Have I said before that I so hated neighbor talked hubby into a lower pump. . . . It is getting sun burnt horribly right now and just about done. I knew it was coming. Squash produce is barely making now but I will leave it because it is what I can use on a daily basis. Also it means that I dont have to weed or mulch those rows any more right now. As for my tomatoes, I am still babying them with watering, tying, and pruning. I have a years worth of what I need but I am hoping to stretch it out to 2. Some things yes but others are a no. . . sons have already been asking what I have canned up and are ready to come get. Melons have done really well but unfortunately I think even those will be ending soon. Mom stopped by for hers yesterday. Think the only thing that will be left growing will be the dry beans and okra, which is normal for this time of year. I can actually start planting another "spring" type garden at the end of Sept.

Your growing season starts well before mine it sounds like. I will be planting s “spring” type garden too in September!

It is warming up here now too. Supposed to be high 80s today. The garden is doing well. Am going to have to water it this morning and everything in the greenhouse of course.

What a shame about the peach trees! :rolleyes: And the time lost is sad too. Big dogs definitely come in handy. Ours have run of bears a few times.

How are you healing? Hope you aren’t pushing yourself too hard.

I am off crutches and on a cane with knee brace. Still trying to take it somewhat easy. I make myself sit down during the day a couple times and let it rest. Arthritis complicates it a bit though.

Your growing season starts well before mine it sounds like. I will be planting s “spring” type garden too in September!

I plant an early cold weather crop garden St. Patricks Day. March onions, peas, turnips, potatoes, cabbage and greens. June I plant tomatoes and heat loving crops. Never before June because we are notorious for late frosts. Then things like cucumbers, squash, green beans etc I plant every 3 weeks. That keeps me in produce throughout the season. July (mid) I plant carrots for winter, fall cabbage for winter kraut, and fall beans if I need them and turnips. Later in the season, usually late august I will plant lettuce and greens to eat through the fall. This keeps me in produce starting with the asparagus in April and going through the winter crops into November with a little cover and protection. Fresh produce 8 months of the year isn't bad.

I'm hoping for 80s by then but still could very well be 90s. Wait and see. Just need to get over this July and August hump. If it was nt for the nice breeze blowing in from the Gulf sometimes it would be just plain miserable. Even the dogs don't want to be outside and the goats and cows tend to find a nice shady spot to lay under. Right now it is a nice 78, real feel of 89. 88% humidity. Highs expected to be 95 today so it will feel like we'll over 100 later on.

I plant an early cold weather crop garden St. Patricks Day. March onions, peas, turnips, potatoes, cabbage and greens. June I plant tomatoes and heat loving crops. Never before June because we are notorious for late frosts. Then things like cucumbers, squash, green beans etc I plant every 3 weeks. That keeps me in produce throughout the season. July (mid) I plant carrots for winter, fall cabbage for winter kraut, and fall beans if I need them and turnips. Later in the season, usually late august I will plant lettuce and greens to eat through the fall. This keeps me in produce starting with the asparagus in April and going through the winter crops into November with a little cover and protection. Fresh produce 8 months of the year isn't bad.

I am going to duplicate your timing and planting! I planted stuff from the greenhouse out in the garden too early this year and lost a lot of them. Had to restart them all.

I'm hoping for 80s by then but still could very well be 90s. Wait and see. Just need to get over this July and August hump. If it was nt for the nice breeze blowing in from the Gulf sometimes it would be just plain miserable. Even the dogs don't want to be outside and the goats and cows tend to find a nice shady spot to lay under. Right now it is a nice 78, real feel of 89. 88% humidity. Highs expected to be 95 today so it will feel like we'll over 100 later on.

Not being fond of hot weather, I am counting the weeks until it starts to cool off here. Usually the later part of August we get some cooling. Then interspersed with some hot days for a few weeks.

yep I'd say we are completely different with our planting schedule. Your March I am planting late October to last thru March.

I am going to duplicate your timing and planting! I planted stuff from the greenhouse out in the garden too early this year and lost a lot of them. Had to restart them all.

Need help or questions just give me a shout. People plant way too early nowadays. I don't need that first tomato because I am not selling them and the first always fetch a premium. I need a healthy consistent crop. Heirloom varieties, saved seeds and a safe planting date. Buy a cheap soil thermometer take your soils temperature. Seeds planted in cold soil rot. The ideal soil temperature for most vegetable seeds is 65 to 75 degrees. Soil thermometers can be found on Amazon for under 20 bucks.

Need help or questions just give me a shout. People plant way too early nowadays. I don't need that first tomato because I am not selling them and the first always fetch a premium. I need a healthy consistent crop. Heirloom varieties, saved seeds and a safe planting date. Buy a cheap soil thermometer take your soils temperature. Seeds planted in cold soil rot. The ideal soil temperature for most vegetable seeds is 65 to 75 degrees. Soil thermometers can be found on Amazon for under 20 bucks.

Have to admit I don’t have a soil thermometer. Will order one today. Back where I lived in the north many years ago I never took the chance of planting early. Why I did it here this year was just silly! Paid for it and won’t trust Mother Nature again. LOL

i learn something from you and Dani all the time! :D ;)

1-100_7121.jpg

When you plant out of the greenhouse try this. I buy distilled water for my husband's cpap machine regularly. I cut the bottom out of those jugs and save sticks from my fruit tree prunings as stakes. Leave the top off to vent heat. Plant your little plant and stake this over it and leave it for a week or two. Protects from frosts, rabbits, some bugs, wind and hail and makes a little tiny greenhouse environment over your plant. Because it is opaque it also gives a little protection from the bright sun. You will see a huge difference between this plant and the one without the jug. Works to keep seeds warm and will help them come up faster because it warms the soil under it when the sun shines. When I finish with them then my husband strings them back up and suspends them from the rafter of the shed for next year. Makes a huge difference. Just a little trick. Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back