What's new where you live?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At our store I heard on the loud speaker they suggested everyone to wear a mask, but didn't sound like it was mandatory (yet maybe). All employees have to wear one, including the few that work the overnight shift. Rule used to be if you were standing in front of a customer, but I guess since TX cases are on a rise, rules got changed. We have had 6 cases at my store so far.
Just do your best to protect yourself. One thing I don’t hear much about now is hand washing. Even though respirating is the primary way to catch this bug touching your face is also an easy pathway for this thing. Washing and hand sanitizer should still be a big part of our defense.

Just do your best to protect yourself. One thing I don’t hear much about now is hand washing. Even though respirating is the primary way to catch this bug touching your face is also an easy pathway for this thing. Washing and hand sanitizer should still be a big part of our defense.
I heard the announcements periodically all night about face mask, washing hands, if you cough do it in your elbow, keeping 6ft apart and no hugs for now. . . Just a smile :rolleyes:. Like they can tell you are smiling wearing a face mask. Ha ha

I hate wearing a mask. When I was a surgical assistant I was in a chilly environment so it wasn’t so bad. Here in the south it sucks in the heat. Also itches and makes you feel isolated from others. Like you said, who could tell if you’re smiling or cringing? Even with the drawbacks, going out in crowds without one is just stupid. My wife went into the post office and was waiting behind an old woman. They were both wearing masks of course. A man came in behind them and said mostly to the old woman that didn’t she hear that it was safe to not wear a mask now. My wife was about to speak up when the old lady told him to mind his own business and she was going to do what she felt was smart. I’m glad I wasn’t there...

Like I've said before, the only time that I'll wear a mask is when I'm cleaning the coop. I see a few people around town wearing masks but most people here think this foolishness has gone too far. But for those who are scared to go outside without "protection" then they should wear a mask. Or stay home cowering in place. That's their choice, I don't care, I'll assume the extremely minor risk of going without a mask.

Everybody where I live (Ocala, Florida) is "panic-buying" guns, ammo, and magazines.

There is nothing to be had in the stores.

I have plenty of guns and ammo, but I am concerned because I've stopped practicing and I don't go to the range anymore because I don't want to dip into my ammo stores.

First it was toilet paper, and now it's gun stuff.

Everybody where I live (Ocala, Florida) is "panic-buying" guns, ammo, and magazines.

There is nothing to be had in the stores.

I have plenty of guns and ammo, but I am concerned because I've stopped practicing and I don't go to the range anymore because I don't want to dip into my ammo stores.

It seems like there is always an ‘emergency’ that causes everyone to go out and buy guns. I remember when Obama was elected everyone said he’s coming for your guns and every gun and ammo store was wiped out of stock. When Hillary was looking like she was going to win the same thing happened. Now it’s the civil unrest, which is probably the first one I’ve thought was a good idea to stock up on things for. I’m the same mindset with saving ammo. I have plenty and stopped practicing to ensure I have it if ever needed. There is something to be said about staying proficient though. I recently pulled out some rifles and made sure the zeroing in was still good. I only sent about ten rounds through each to ensure the scopes were still accurate. In the past I would have played and sent 100 through.

Seems I also have a virus problem. One of our horses has come down with a virus, and she was not wearing a mask. :D We have had the VET out several time over the weekend and they have put in several bags of IV to keep her hydrated. Yesterday the fever broke and she started grazing a little and looked better (eyes brighter). Today she is drinking and starting to eat a little grain. Not totally "out of the woods" but looking a lot better. A horse may be a big animal but, at times, they are also very fragile.

Seems I also have a virus problem. One of our horses has come down with a virus, and she was not wearing a mask. :D We have had the VET out several time over the weekend and they have put in several bags of IV to keep her hydrated. Yesterday the fever broke and she started grazing a little and looked better (eyes brighter). Today she is drinking and starting to eat a little grain. Not totally "out of the woods" but looking a lot better. A horse may be a big animal but, at times, they are also very fragile.

Fingers crossed she continues to get better Jack.

I don't understand Americans obsession with hoarding guns and ammo. I'm not judging, I just don't understand.
Many people here in New Zealand have their firearms licence but only own a few guns (2-4) and usually only use them for hunting or sometimes on the farm. Hand guns are relatively rare. Even the preppers I know here don't stockpile guns and ammo.

In New Zealand we managed to eliminate covid-19 and life was allowed to return to normal. But we reopened our borders to returning citizens and their families. So now we have new cases arriving daily, although all new arrivals have to be quarantined for 14 days. There's been a number of stuff ups along the way such as new arrivals mingling with people due to leave quarantine, and people not getting tested before leaving. Now everyone has to be tested on days 3 and 12 regardless and both tests have to come back negative. The more cynical kiwis are waiting for a stuff up that reintroduces covid-19 back into the community.

We've also had marches and protests against racism. These were triggered by the BLM movement and Floyd's death, but New Zealand has a bad history of racism and discrimination especially against Maori people.

I don't understand Americans obsession with hoarding guns and ammo. I'm not judging, I just don't understand.
Many people here in New Zealand have their firearms licence but only own a few guns (2-4) and usually only use them for hunting or sometimes on the farm. Hand guns are relatively rare. Even the preppers I know here don't stockpile guns and ammo.
I often don't understand America's obsession with guns myself, even though I collect them and carry on a daily basis. I was actually brought up in an anti-gun household.

Part of our gun culture stems--I believe--from our history of settlers expanding westward ("Manifest Destiny"), and killing off the indiginous people who--quite rightly--objected to genocide.

In this country, police are often minutes away when seconds count, and a gun gives an 80 year old lady parity with criminals intent on rape and/or murder.

Even though I collect guns (including some that are controversial, like my AR-15), I sometimes wonder if we haven't gotten overly permissive when it comes to them.

Britain had a total of 65 gun deaths (including suicides in the police and military) for all of 2017, and that country has almost 70 million people.

In my country of about 310 million people, we lost almost as many people in one mass shooting in Las Vegas (56 victims).

Yet even though Britain seems like they've accomplished something, criminals simply switched their tactics. A favorite way to carjack in London is to run up to an unsuspecting motorist . . . and throw concentrated acid into the person's face to incapacitate them so that the car can be stolen.

Our gun culture played a part in preventing us from being invaded by the Japanese in WWII. When Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was asked why his forces didn't press their advantage after Pearl Harbor and invade California, he said: "If we invade the American mainland, there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass." There are historians who doubt that he actually said this (James Cagney never said "Take that, you dirty rat!", Carl Sagan never said "Billions and billions", and William Shatner never said "Beam me up, Scotty" in Star Trek), but the concern was definitely there.

There is also the belief that our gun culture keeps our government from oppressing us. We are--after all--descended from rebels who violently took over our country from an oppessive foreign government who had no interest in our well-being, and guns are a part of that tradition.

I switched from being very anti-gun to being very pro-gun during my stint as a relief worker after Hurricane Andrew, which destroyed Homestead and Florida City in 1992 (I was a paramedic).

I saw rape victims that were as young as 7 and 8 years old. Organized gangs of thugs routinely looted and pillaged like hoards of locusts or army ants . . . intent on taking anything that they wanted.

We saw similar events when Katrina hit New Orleans, and we're seeing a lot of similar nonsense now during this time of civil unrest, and police have stopped responding to certian areas.

Speaking only for myself, my gun isn't really to protect my property. If I shoot someone for trying to steal my $500.00 television, I'll pay maybe $70,000.00 in attorney fees to keep out of prison. My gun is for people like Ted Bundy (murdered over 30 women), for rabid animals, for pit bull attacks, and many other types of emergencies that justify a gun. Home invasions by drug addicts are common in the U.S..

I don't know if any of this answers your questions, but I hope I shed a little light on our gun culture.

Last edited:
Americans don't live on an Island with a population density of 18.3/sq km. We have six cities that have higher populations (metro area) than your whole country. The threat is larger. MUCH larger.

Britain had a total of 65 gun deaths (including suicides in the police and military) for all of 2017, and that country has almost 70 million people.
They have a lot of stabbings and bludgeoning as well.

In this country, police are often minutes away when seconds count, and a gun gives an 80 year old lady parity with criminals intent on rape and/or murder.

In West Texas (and other sparsely populated states) the police can be over an hour away when seconds count.

social distancing is reduced to 1 meter or 3 ft as from 4th July, most shops and other businesses will be allowed to reopen then. most people are going to think its all over and behave as they did prior to lockdown, I' m waiting for the second wave in the Autumn/Fall, this thing isnt over yet not by a long way.

In the USA we have a wonderful constitution with a bill of rights that protects us from our government, one of those rights is to posses arms to defend ourselves and to keep all our other rights. As a means to change our government if it becomes Tyrannical. Without our guns and ammo, our rights are just written on paper and can be destroyed. Much like our currency is just paper and backed by nothing. Our rights are just paper, but there backed up and secured by our guns and the 2nd amendment.

In New Zealand we've had problems with new arrivals refusing to be tested for covid-19. Sometimes it's reasonable, such as not wanting to traumatise a child. We've also had a lot of problems with people refusing to follow quarantine procedures. Our government sought legal advice and has announced that, while a person cannot be forced to be tested, they can be kept in quarantine for an additional 14 days (28 days total). People refusing to follow quarantine procedures can be fined up to $4,000 and/or face up to 6 months in prison.

Latest posts

Back