What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supper yesterday: oyster mushrooms
We were up in Northern Virginia visiting the kids, and my wife spotted these near my daughter's house:
ZsIoMQz.jpg

It took us a while to figure out what kind of mushroom they were but we managed to get a 100% match with oyster mushrooms, and were able to eliminate all the similar mushrooms.

We did an overnight spore print just to be sure.
pz2KKtl.jpg

So we cooked up a mess of them. My wife sauteed some(left) and I grilled some (right).

VOTYfg7.jpg

They are really tasty! I've never seen them here in Georgia, and I am trying to narrow down the exact subspecies. Right now, it appears to be the aspen oyster mushroom, which unfortunately doesn't grow this far south. Hopefully it is the Indian oyster mushroom which does.

So, cooking them:
Spritz some olive oil on them, add salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill until each side just begins to brown. Pretty simple! Just cut and eat. You can put one between two pieces of bread and make a delicious sandwich.

Supper yesterday: oyster mushrooms
We were up in Northern Virginia visiting the kids, and my wife spotted these near my daughter's house:
ZsIoMQz.jpg

It took us a while to figure out what kind of mushroom they were but we managed to get a 100% match with oyster mushrooms, and were able to eliminate all the similar mushrooms.

We did an overnight spore print just to be sure.
pz2KKtl.jpg

So we cooked up a mess of them. My wife sauteed some(left) and I grilled some (right).

VOTYfg7.jpg

They are really tasty! I've never seen them here in Georgia, and I am trying to narrow down the exact subspecies. Right now, it appears to be the aspen oyster mushroom, which unfortunately doesn't grow this far south. Hopefully it is the Indian oyster mushroom which does.

So, cooking them:
Spritz some olive oil on them, add salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill until each side just begins to brown. Pretty simple! Just cut and eat. You can put one between two pieces of bread and make a delicious sandwich.
Wow that's pretty cool. I'm okay with foraging plants but mushrooms scare me. I've heard too many stories of people who thought they knew which one they were getting but it was actually something poisonous. It looks really good though.

Wow that's pretty cool. I'm okay with foraging plants but mushrooms scare me. I've heard too many stories of people who thought they knew which one they were getting but it was actually something poisonous. It looks really good though.
LOL, my son wasn't convinced so he watched us eat them and waited a while to see if we keeled over before he would touch them.

I did Creamy Chicken with Cornbread, yesterday was Potato casserole with Ham. . . tomorrow hunny will either have to cook or he will be eating leftovers. I am good with either. I will be going back to work tomorrow night. . . I really hate that it effects two days. Most days I am up early regardless if I work overnight shift. Those days I am lucky to sleep an hour to get ready for a new day and get back to normal. . . Some days I run on empty all day. But yet keep moving forward. . .

I had a long day at work so made a batch of chicken salad. Didn’t need anything but some leu on it. Quick and easy. A burger while out on the road for lunch and was reminded that I really don’t like fast food....

I made a big batch of beef stew in the instapot. In 30 minutes I had perfectly done stew. I love that thing now. I had it for six months before ever trying it out. Now it’s my primary way to cook. Dosent heat up the house like the oven and cooks in 1/4 of the time.

The grandkids have been here for a week now. So today I went to the grocery store and picked up a half gallon of tequila. Dinner tonight will be extra large margaritas.

Oh, and pizza out of a box.
This sounds like the kind of dinner I need. Saturday is my birthday so I'm considering something like this. But I know I'll feel awful on Sunday morning at church. . .

Latest posts

Back