What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean our sole pourpose in life isn't to cater to our kids?:)

Nope, especially when they are grown and perfectly capable of feeding themselves. :D

We did something neat last night. My daughter works at a wing restaurant chain, and picked up some different sauces. We fried up some chicken wings and used the sauces, and basically had a wing restaurant night in, while catching up on American Horror Story. Fun family night. (Yeah, we're pretty messed up that way).

image.jpg
I was proud of my club sandwich for dinner tonight!

we came home with turkey,ham and pork from xmas day.the pork was fixed in a smoker..i fixed up pinto beans what ham i came home with.and one slice of pork..even thoe i forgot to add the salt..it came out pretty great..

we came home with turkey,ham and pork from xmas day.the pork was fixed in a smoker..i fixed up pinto beans what ham i came home with.and one slice of pork..even thoe i forgot to add the salt..it came out pretty great..
Sounds good! Tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy, so I'm planning to make some turkey broth and can it. For some reason I can't find turkey broth in the grocery stores anymore. I sometimes think there's a conspiracy going on, all my favorite things get discontinued! I've also got a ham, and will get some ham and bean soup going as well. I love playing with leftovers, sometimes they turn out better than the origional meal!

seems like the turkey broth could be found in cans..have you tried looking for it in the cartons? i know certain broths and/or a type of milk can be found in them....

seems like the turkey broth could be found in cans..have you tried looking for it in the cartons? i know certain broths and/or a type of milk can be found in them....
I have looked everywhere! I'm sure it's still made somewhere, but darned if I can find it. I canned 13 pints of it today though! Yeah! It's still cooling in the canner. I learned that if you let it cool slowly then you don't loose as much liquid from the jars. Some of my earlier ventures would boil out too much juice, leaving up to a couple inches air space in the jar. The slower cooling seemed to eliminate that. Anyways, I have a pot of turkey noodle soup, and the pints of broth for later on. Even though I have been canning for a while now, it's still really satisfying. I also racked or siphoned off the wine in 6 5gal jugs. It left the sediment on the bottom of the jugs, and was really clean/clear looking now. I'll bottle it in a few weeks now, as that was the last racking. Over all it was a pretty good day. It looks like the rain is clearing off too. I really hate wet gloomy days, but they do force me to get some inside stuff done.

I have looked everywhere! I'm sure it's still made somewhere, but darned if I can find it. I canned 13 pints of it today though! Yeah! It's still cooling in the canner. I learned that if you let it cool slowly then you don't loose as much liquid from the jars. Some of my earlier ventures would boil out too much juice, leaving up to a couple inches air space in the jar. The slower cooling seemed to eliminate that. Anyways, I have a pot of turkey noodle soup, and the pints of broth for later on. Even though I have been canning for a while now, it's still really satisfying. I also racked or siphoned off the wine in 6 5gal jugs. It left the sediment on the bottom of the jugs, and was really clean/clear looking now. I'll bottle it in a few weeks now, as that was the last racking. Over all it was a pretty good day. It looks like the rain is clearing off too. I really hate wet gloomy days, but they do force me to get some inside stuff done.
You tend to loose liquid in your jars if the pressure fluctuates too fast, which includes your 'cooling' process. When time is up, I shut off heat and take it off the burner to drop pressure naturally leaving the vent cap (black knobby thing in my case) on. Once dropped, I still wait about 5 minutes to take the jars out to a towel on the counter. With a rapid drop in pressure or over filling your jars will have a loosing liquid effect. Still edible, just changes colors on you. Always nice to have stored up canned broth on hand no matter from what meat.

You tend to loose liquid in your jars if the pressure fluctuates too fast, which includes your 'cooling' process. When time is up, I shut off heat and take it off the burner to drop pressure naturally leaving the vent cap (black knobby thing in my case) on. Once dropped, I still wait about 5 minutes to take the jars out to a towel on the counter. With a rapid drop in pressure or over filling your jars will have a loosing liquid effect. Still edible, just changes colors on you. Always nice to have stored up canned broth on hand no matter from what meat.
I didn't know about the temp increase, but it makes sense since the rapid drop affects it. Ive been just removing the canner from the heat and letting it cool by itself. The extra heat probably helps to make sure things are steralized anyways. The only issue could be if you overcook something and turn it to mush.

It's been a dreary rainy day here again. I decided some comfort food was in order. I baked a ham in the oven, and then used some of the juices and made some egg noodle soup to go with it. There's not much better than a bowl of hot soup on a rainy day to lift your spirits. I boil egg noodles in ham broth with chives, pepper, garlic, onion, green peppers and soy sauce. I'm deciding if I want to be a glutton and go get a second bowl.

yup.your gonna get the 2nd bowl..that is if you aint done it yet..i made up a batch of potato chips to fill 5-1 quart zip bags yesterday.now im fixing up the rest of the 10LB bag..i love my chips.. :p:rolleyes:

I dug some Beenie Weenie cans out of storage and cooked them for supper.

I actually never ate genuine Beenie Weenies before, I bought them because I found them on sale at Sam's Club.by the case. I have eaten other brands of Beans&Franks, but usually I made my own from Bush's Baked Beans and Oscar Meyer Weiners.

The "genuine" Beenie Weenies needed some spicing up, so I put some Cholula brand Chipotle sauce in them.

yup.your gonna get the 2nd bowl..that is if you aint done it yet..i made up a batch of potato chips to fill 5-1 quart zip bags yesterday.now im fixing up the rest of the 10LB bag..i love my chips.. :p:rolleyes:
Yeah, I had the second bowl. )

Had some chicken noodle soup today. Got home late Friday night and my wife was cooking down a big pot of chicken guts, bones and feet on the stove. Smelled pretty bad and stunk the house up for 2 days, but the soup was good. She said she was making chicken stock.

Had some chicken noodle soup today. Got home late Friday night and my wife was cooking down a big pot of chicken guts, bones and feet on the stove. Smelled pretty bad and stunk the house up for 2 days, but the soup was good. She said she was making chicken stock.
I've got several cases of homemade chicken (and some turkey) stock. It's a great start for soups, or use it instead of water for rice. I've never used the feet, but believe the Chinese buy them from us. I'm not even sure I want to know what they do with them :confused:.

One scary pot....

Glad we're just doing some basic "Brinner" tonight (breakfast for dinner). Egg omelets, bacon, toast, some grits.

Great idea I saw (and have since tried) for omelets.

Scramble up your eggs. Put in a Ziploc freezer bag along with the omelet additions (I like some diced ham, shredded cheese, diced onions and peppers). Make up a bunch, and each omelet bag can be different! Now, boil the freezer bags in a pot for 17 minutes. You have a bunch of different omelets you can cook all at the same time, in the same pot, and pretty easy cleanup. Taste just as great as normal method.

One scary pot....

Glad we're just doing some basic "Brinner" tonight (breakfast for dinner). Egg omelets, bacon, toast, some grits.

Great idea I saw (and have since tried) for omelets.

Scramble up your eggs. Put in a Ziploc freezer bag along with the omelet additions (I like some diced ham, shredded cheese, diced onions and peppers). Make up a bunch, and each omelet bag can be different! Now, boil the freezer bags in a pot for 17 minutes. You have a bunch of different omelets you can cook all at the same time, in the same pot, and pretty easy cleanup. Taste just as great as normal method.
Interesting idea on cooking omelets. I would have never thought boiling a beat egg would turn out. I'll test it out before long. Throw in some diced tomatoes and you may be on to something :).

That's just wrong on too many levels! I hope you just found that picture on line instead of on your table. I like to think I'm pretty adventurous with food, but chicken feet would be tough to get past the gag reflex.
A Vietnamese co worker brought in some kind of stinky, slimy fruit that is a cousin of the durian. I tried it, and ate about half of what he shared with me, but couldn't get past the smell of old gym socks! I guess to each their own.

I hope you just found that picture on line instead of on your table.
A Vietnamese co worker brought in some kind of stinky, slimy fruit that is a cousin of the durian.

No we don't eat them at home. I saw them in Taiwan just like that, and I may have tried it once, but wasn't too keen on it.

Durian, LOL, our family is divided. My wife and daughter think it's heavenly, but my son and I don't even want to be anywhere near one. If you think Durian smells bad, you should smell what they call Cho DoFu (Stinky Tofu). It is literally rotten tofu. I swear it smells exactly like an open sewer.

No we don't eat them at home. I saw them in Taiwan just like that, and I may have tried it once, but wasn't too keen on it.

Durian, LOL, our family is divided. My wife and daughter think it's heavenly, but my son and I don't even want to be anywhere near one. If you think Durian smells bad, you should smell what they call Cho DoFu (Stinky Tofu). It is literally rotten tofu. I swear it smells exactly like an open sewer.
Like I said, to each his own. For me though, if it smells like it came out of a septic tank, that's where it should go :).

Latest posts

Back