What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frozen cardboard pizza and jalapenos stuffed with cheese, bacon and habanaro peppers. The dog is having fresh hart and liver.
I found a decent ready-made whole grain pizza crust. I made a veggie pizza tonight with it and it was pretty good. A couple glasses of wine and it was a good Friday dinner.

Turkey is about my favorite protein source. Just love the flavor. When it's on sale I'll buy about a dozen, chop out the backbone, split the breast bone, remove the ends of the wings, cut off the wings and legs, and pack them into the carcass. Then put it back into the plastic bag, wrap the whole thing in twine so it's not much bigger than a clenched fist, and freeze it. When I make a stew I'll add a cup of wine to the water.
Also good to remove the breast meat and fry them and then make gravy. I could live off them. Chicken doesn't have the flavor of turkey.

That's too bad, isn't it. Big Paul? I like to study food and food trends, and also what was cooked long ago. There was a fun British series on youtube I saw way back about a family that agreed to live in a house like a certain time period. Wish I could remember the name of the series. So at one point it was the 1900's house, another the 1920's house, moving up in time. They would have to figure out how to cook with the cooking device and food ingredients used at the time. No takeaway of course. The mom thought life got way easier when convenience foods were introduced in the 1960's. In America at that time, society started changing, and convenience foods were really big. I remember thinking tv dinners were such a treat when I was a kid in the 60's. Yuck. My older sisters were able to take home economic classes in High School, and they were done away with by the time I got there in the late 70's. I learned to cook after I got married. Mom was never much of a cook. And I truly enjoy it, except on days that I've been canning all day long. Home grown and fresh food with basic ingredients are absolutely the best.

I always had a saying "always marry a good cook" and I always have...3 times!!
not that I cant cook myself, and there have been times in my life where I've had to or starve. I do like my food and I like it fresh, I like basic British food.
most people in Britain seem to live on convenience food, very few cook from scratch, lack of time or maybe inclination.
I know the tv series you mentioned, I'll see if I can find the title, there was a female once on one of these shows, she couldnt use a can opener-could only open a can if it had a ring pull!

Sounds about right. I know the housework was a chore, too, considering what was available during that time period. I like to search that info out, our home was built in 1908, and the original stuff put it in is interesting. We do have a wood burning stove in the kitchen now, but there was a woodburning cook stove in it at one time on an opposite wall. I can tell by the chimney. Our front yard windmill is still up, but the last owner took the wash house that it ran water to down. Bummer. My grandparents moved into their new home in a farm down the road from us in 1920. Just a hydrant for the sink water, but of course, no indoor power or plumbing. Clothes washing here is still widely done with a wringer washer in a wash house, and line dried. Cooking and housework can take alot of time, and throw a large garden in the mix, and there's your day! But it's a good life. Went to my cousin's house yesterday and we processed honey from their hives. They are old order amish, so the spinner is cranked by hand. I'll have honey for the year, and it's just so much fun to do this.

trying to find an older house in Britain is getting harder every day, a lot of them are bought and then "modernised" and they look nothing like they did originally.
new houses are built off a standard blueprint and you can be anywhere in the UK and the houses all look the same.
that tv program was called "back in time for the weekend".

Latest posts

Back