Whats for dinner 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh beef... T-bones, rib eyes n sirloin...My son's boss raised and recently butchered, and was generous enough to share several cuts with my son to bring home. I made twice baked potatoes, opened up 2 pints each of fresh corn n asparagus I had canned, stuffed mushrooms and deviled eggs.

Since I'm not a baker, I had a store bought Graham cracker pie crust, opened a can of cherry pie filling...had cool whip out of freezer...boom! Dessert! Chincy I know...but hey!..it was sweet and at at least 1 family member ate a piece! lol..

Beef was delicious and tender!

Jambalaya

Attachments

• 20230222_183932.jpg
    20230222_183932.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I asked family to go out for dinner tonight.....I wanted to check out a new german place that went in and try the beer (even though I'm not big on beer), but mother wants Mexican so I guess I'm having salsa n chips, probably fajitas, refried beans, rice, and margaritas

I made meatballs (ground beef and pork) and homemade Italian sausage links.
I cooked a red tomato gravy as we call it down here. Spaghetti and garlic French bread.
We used to make tomato gravy for breakfast at deer camp (or it might have been the duck club) along with country fried squirrels.
That was decades ago. I've forgotten how to make it.

We used to make tomato gravy for breakfast at deer camp (or it might have been the duck club) along with country fried squirrels.
That was decades ago. I've forgotten how to make it.

Like this?

Three Tablespoons of rendered bacon fat or oil
1/4 of a cup of minced onions
1/4 of a cup finely diced celery
1/4 of a cup of finely diced green peppers
1/2 of a Cayenne pepper minced
Two cloves of garlic minced
One cup of diced vine-ripened plum tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning
1/2 of a teaspoon of thyme
Three tablespoons of all-purpose flour
One-8-ounce can of tomato sauce
One cup of chicken stock and +more
splash of Worcestershire sauce
hot sauce, to own taste, optional
Kosher salt to own taste
fresh ground black pepper to your own taste.

A lot simpler (fewer ingredients). I think it was oil, flour, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Maybe some hot sauce. The fried squirrels gave it the flavor when you simmered them in it. Some people used fried squirrel heads with tomato gravy.
IIRC, you just made a basic roux and then put the tomatoes, salt and pepper in, and when it was gravy you added the fried squirrels and simmered for a while.

Latest posts

Back