What's best to barter with in Australia?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSTA57

Reaction score
Hey all.

Was going through my preps. And I noticed I didn't have too many things that I thought would be good for bartering if SHTF. It's mainly just alcohol in different sized bottles. Mainly vodka and whiskey at the moment.

Will Gold/Silver be any good to barter with in Australia ?

If so how does gold/silver work in regards to purchasing it to start of with?

Or what do you think would be the best bartering tool?

Thank you all in advance

Howdy MSTA57,

This is a tough one, and im fairly sure there is no right or wrong answer to this.

What works well barter wise, in my opinion will depend on the situation we are in. It may also depend on location, but situation would be my guess.

Alcohol will work, regardless but is this something you want to carry? If you have a secure BOL where you could stock pile it, then yep. It gets my vote.

As for gold and silver, i have had so many mixed reactions with this one? I honestly, after asking the same question myself multiple times feel that it will be useless for some time, if ever again. Again, this will be dependant on the actual situation.

Food, water, ammo and meds will be the main needs of most survivors. These are also things i would not be bartering.

Mate, you can't go wrong with an old .303.
Used a 1917 model emu shooting years ago - yes, farmer had permits - shot one on the run from the back of a moving L/cruiser approx 800m away. It was in a mob, it got slower and slower, then dropped dead. Was even using 1950's ammo.

Had original sling, cleaning kit and cleaning rods ( they are in the butt of the rifle behind the brass plate ).

Emu sausages for tea!! Yum!!

I have also pondered what I should stockpile, I came to the understanding that Gold/Silver will only be a good trading item in the case of excess essentials. Food, medical, basic survival supplies sound like the ideal resources to trade with.

I must agree I think food, medical supplies, and other supplies would be a better "trade". I would put "seeds" on the list too, especially for vegetables and fruits. The other "trade" I think that could be desirable is a skill. If you're a doctor, a farmer/gardener, mechanic, welder etc. etc. you may be able to offer your skill for a trade. Already in society we ask our mates to help out with a job (especially if we know they can do the job) and trade them something for that "cheaper" labour. I think a skill you can offer would be very valuable after the SHTF, and if they don't want your skill then you offer an item.

Bleach, you can purify water and wounds, as well as sterilize medical equipment, I'm 100% behind bleach.

problem with conventional bottled bleach is it will expire. powdered or pelleted bleach might be better.

Bleach, you can purify water and wounds, as well as sterilize medical equipment, I'm 100% behind bleach.

I'd rather have a strong alcohol for those purposes, except for the water purification. Also using bleach for water purification requires knowledge, and when bartering you'd have to hope they either know how to use bleach or tell them (so in essence to barter the bleach you'd also have to impact knowledge). I personally think knowledge will be such a strong bartering item I wouldn't want to have to barter things that also require me to impart with free knowledge.

Suppose you barter with them a method on how to purify water, treat wounds and sterilise equipment ... and then barter them further if they want some bleach :)

.22lr ammo and a few .22lr single shot $50 rifles. most people don't own guns here and those that don't will pay ANYTHING to get their hands on a gun to feed their family.

I'd rather have a strong alcohol for those purposes, except for the water purification. Also using bleach for water purification requires knowledge, and when bartering you'd have to hope they either know how to use bleach or tell them (so in essence to barter the bleach you'd also have to impact knowledge). I personally think knowledge will be such a strong bartering item I wouldn't want to have to barter things that also require me to impart with free knowledge.

Suppose you barter with them a method on how to purify water, treat wounds and sterilise equipment ... and then barter them further if they want some bleach :)

Actually if you boil after cholrinating, its fine.

Precious metals are probably the WORST thing to plan to barter with. Simply put, you won't get as much bang for your buck. Today, you'd spend $300 for a small bit of gold, that may get you a few cans of food from another survivor (with a pre SHTF price of a few dollars). Pretty rough trade.

Things that are in demand, but that YOU don't use are best. For me, cigarettes. I don't smoke, but plenty of others would trade goods for them. Just one example.

Latest posts

Back