What type of alcohol do we need?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILD MAN

Reaction score
We have decided to add alcohol for bartering and medicinal uses to our list of prepping items. Trouble is we don’t drink and never have, so we were wondering what kind we need to get. I went into a local liquor store the other day and was amazed at all the choices. So before I spend money on something that we don’t need I was hoping someone here could make some recommendations as to what would be good for a SHTF scenario.

We stock some,not much though.But we keep cheap small bottles of whiskey/bourbon for bartering.High proof vodka for antiseptic/medicinal and the occasional drink or two for myself,lol.

Vodka works well to make tinctures for medicinal uses as well as extracts for flavoring foods. A little bit of whiskey might be good to have on hand with kids, hot toddies help break fevers and sugar tits dipped in a wee bit of whiskey can help with teething pain.

Okay so those itty-bitty bottle you find in a hotel room mini bar are good for bartering too, huh? Damn!

I would put away brandy, whiskey, vodka. Personally, we don't drink much other than brandy slushes around the holidays. I don't put money into booze as a prep. I can find plenty of other things to stock that are useful that will be barter items as well. Ex: TP, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, deodorant, etc...

Thinking feminine hygiene products, toothpaste and TP are a great start! Sorry but at that point, deodorant may not be a high product. As for alcohol, I am think whisky and vodka would be the greatest use in medicines, like Anorak said. But is you are wanting to barter with people who just want to get a pleasure out of alcohol for getting drunk purposes. . .it probably really doesn't matter. They would probably prefer what they normally drink, but at that time it really doesn't matter if it is the cheap stuff. They will take what they can got. Just my thought.

I like being clean and deodorant is one thing I do prep :) (as well as the others I mentioned). If it really comes down to it people will learn to make their own stills. It can be made from just about anything not just corn. I knew one old fella that made peach lightening when I was a kid. It sure was smooth but had a heck of a after kick.

Mercy, now I'm not one to drink, but I do believe I would've had to have a snort of that.

We have decided to add alcohol for bartering and medicinal uses to our list of prepping items. Trouble is we don’t drink and never have, so we were wondering what kind we need to get. I went into a local liquor store the other day and was amazed at all the choices. So before I spend money on something that we don’t need I was hoping someone here could make some recommendations as to what would be good for a SHTF scenario.

IMO high proof alchohol is best you want as high alchohol content as you can get, price wise this is usually things like Vodka, depending where you are at something like Rum, or Whiskey may be ok. High proof is good because it is liqour and can be diluted as needed, and can also be used as a fuel source.

Since you don't drink I can't recommend low alchohol spirits. Low alchohol stuf can be made easily with bakers yeast or wine yeast.

Making hard liqour requires a still or freezing methods that is over about 20%.

very high proof Vodka is probably going to be the most cost effective buy. Get the cheapest stuff with the highest alchohol content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

bear in mind

190 proof liqour is legal in Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Illinois except Chicago.
The sale of alcoholic beverages above 153 proof is prohibited in Michigan. You might consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol) for the biggest bang for your buck. ----------- personally I attempt to pick up a local alchohol whenever I travel, up to the limit allowed by customs. I don't drink the stuff though but it is there for an emergency and is a momento. I only started the tradition a couple years ago. So far it is only a little bit of Mexican beer, a couple bottles of ukrainian gin/vodka? and a bottle of mexican rum. I also may still have a bottle of mixed brandy and rum in Mexico I left behind, but I won't know for another year or so most likely if it has survived, I'm thinking someone will find it before I get back into Mexico.

I like being and smelling clean too Trapper, but honestly Deodorant is so easy to make yourself with products you already have at home.

Homemade Deodorant
6-8 Tbsp Coconut Oil (solid state)
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
Throw the coconut oil, baking soda, and corn starch in a bowl.
Mix the ingredients together with a fork (this step is a lot easier if you warm up the “oil” until it becomes soft and mixes easily)
Place your finished product in a jar for storage.
To use, simply dip a couple of finger tips into the homemade deodorant and apply to your underarms.

Speaking of brewing, a friend of mine called me and asked me when my next batch of cyser would be ready. Did a peach and white grape mix for him this time. The kiwi strawberry from the last batch just didn't tickle my fancy.

Speaking of brewing, a friend of mine called me and asked me when my next batch of cyser would be ready. Did a peach and white grape mix for him this time. The kiwi strawberry from the last batch just didn't tickle my fancy.
Do you use honey as a sweetener in it? I would have thought the strawberry kiwi would taste good together.

If I have enough, I'll use honey, otherwise it's sugar. The strawberry kiwi just had a whang to it that I didn't care for. I think peach cyser is probably my favorite.

How much honey do you need in 1 batch? And then again how much does it produce? I have never brewed but would love to learn the concept one day.

I'll have to dig out my books. I haven't brewed for several years and when I was I was doing it for the LARP group we belonged to and the stuff kicked like a Missouri mule and left you pie-eyed after a cup, lol.

Latest posts

Back