What to Grow ??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChancesR

Reaction score
are any of you growing Tea or some sort of beverage ingredient
I should probably look up sugar and how to grow it too because you need it to can fruits and to use in drinks and cooking. Do any of you grow something out of the ordinary like Sugar, Tea, Tobacco, Coffee ...
I want some ideas to look into for my growing collection of things to know or grow.

plus it might help you all share ideas an such :) Tea could be grown well here in Texas since it like dry soil and Heat.

Depends on if you are in zone 8 or zone 9. Sugarcane grows well in zone 9, but iffy in 8.
(and, it's a damn fine idea as an added crop)

Wow, making refined sugar is a pain....better to stockpile this stuff.

Still, wouldn't mind having some sugarcane growing though.

Raw sugar doesnt get refined and is very effective at being sugar it is more popular in Europe but you can still use it here and grow it.

I was looking into this as well...but im all the way up in zone 5 so some of the options mentioned are out of the question. I read an article on how to get sugar from beets. Next spring I plan on planting a rather large batch of beets to see how much sugar they actually produce. (i looked and looked but never found any numbers/conversion rates.)
theres a plant called stevia that is used for making an artificial sugar- it can be grown as a perennial herb in warmer climates but up where i am it can only be used as an annual (if I try this one ill let yall know how it goes)
Teas like beverages can be made from many things other than tea leaves- herbs are great for this
one of my favorite beverages (especially when Im sick) is boiled water with lemon juice-ginger root and a little honey and cinnamon Its AMAZING
i have been looking for a tobacco plant that will grow in my region, but no luck yet (havent seriously looked yet)
Great post...there are so many possibilities

Could always greenhouse it, then zone is irrelevant.

just a matter of decideing the correct size greenhouse that be needed..then make it a lil larger then that...and makeing sure it's suietable for that area when it comes to keeping the inside warm..i watched buying alaska yesterday.and one guy pointed out that th windows in the house needs to be triple pain to keep the cold out..

just a matter of decideing the correct size greenhouse that be needed..then make it a lil larger then that...and makeing sure it's suietable for that area when it comes to keeping the inside warm..i watched buying alaska yesterday.and one guy pointed out that th windows in the house needs to be triple pain to keep the cold out..
I agree on the larger than you think you need, if You ever have to rely solely on your own produce you better have a lot more plants than just enough, as not all will do well. I'm lucky enough to live in the south east and cold isn't as bad. Even here though I would have to heat in winter. I think that's counter productive though, too much energy spent for the return. I'll be happy if I can get 3/4 of the year, just extending (and starting early) the growing season will really help. Canning will make up the rest, hopefully.

are any of you growing Tea or some sort of beverage ingredient
I should probably look up sugar and how to grow it too because you need it to can fruits and to use in drinks and cooking. Do any of you grow something out of the ordinary like Sugar, Tea, Tobacco, Coffee ...
I want some ideas to look into for my growing collection of things to know or grow.

plus it might help you all share ideas an such :) Tea could be grown well here in Texas since it like dry soil and Heat.
I started some stevia, it grows really easily and I was happily surprised it came back to life in the spring(I think that's a perennial). It is really sweet, but leaves a green aftertaste, guess that takes some getting used to.

Depends on if you are in zone 8 or zone 9. Sugarcane grows well in zone 9, but iffy in 8.
(and, it's a damn fine idea as an added crop)
I'm thinking shine! Just kidding, but might look into it, haven't heard much about it in n ga.

I agree on the larger than you think you need, if You ever have to rely solely on your own produce you better have a lot more plants than just enough, as not all will do well. I'm lucky enough to live in the south east and cold isn't as bad. Even here though I would have to heat in winter. I think that's counter productive though, too much energy spent for the return. I'll be happy if I can get 3/4 of the year, just extending (and starting early) the growing season will really help. Canning will make up the rest, hopefully.
why dont you build a greenhouse? they can be relatively inexpensive to make

why dont you build a greenhouse? they can be relatively inexpensive to make
I started building an 18'x21' one about three weeks ago. I am building it on a shoestring budget but have really lucked out on finding deals on the materials so far. I work at a hardware store so I have access to clearance materials occasionally. I got 26 2" galvanized pipes for 60.00! That motivated me to begin. After playing with designs I ended up using half of them for this one, and if successful will make a second later on. I was looking at clear roof panels but they were going to be 600 or more, so I found a place that had a woven plastic sheating, opaque, for 120.00. The panels would last longer but this gets me up and running while I figure out how to manage it, like temperature control, irrigation, etc. I think I have more to worry about too much heat here in the south than anything, so I'm putting an attic gable fan with thermostat for about 100.00. Not counting labor I should be able to be planting for slightly less than 500.00. I'm a retired contractor with lots of extra hardware and lumber stored, so most people will have to spend a little more. I think half the fun I'm having with this project is making do with what I have, and still have it turn out well. The frame is almost done and should be able to put up the plastic this weekend. Luckily the spot I picked is in the existing garden plot so the soil is already pretty good, but will probably do some raised beds in it before long to save my back while weeding later on. I,ll post Picts. If I figure out how to on this iPad. (I really suck at computers).

I'm growing some honey locust. The seed pods are sweet and edible. The seeds themselves can be used as a coffee substitute. The thorns contain anti-mutagenic and anti-inflammatory compounds.

Learning how to grow/produce tobacco, marijuana and alcohol are among the top of my list, they'll make great bartering items. I already have a small garden in my backyard with the usual fruits, veggies, herbs and medicinal plants, and I have a bit of a green-thumb so I'll definitely be growing those necessities where ever me and my family are.

I was looking into this as well...but im all the way up in zone 5 so some of the options mentioned are out of the question. I read an article on how to get sugar from beets. Next spring I plan on planting a rather large batch of beets to see how much sugar they actually produce. (i looked and looked but never found any numbers/conversion rates.)
theres a plant called stevia that is used for making an artificial sugar- it can be grown as a perennial herb in warmer climates but up where i am it can only be used as an annual (if I try this one ill let yall know how it goes)
Teas like beverages can be made from many things other than tea leaves- herbs are great for this
one of my favorite beverages (especially when Im sick) is boiled water with lemon juice-ginger root and a little honey and cinnamon Its AMAZING
i have been looking for a tobacco plant that will grow in my region, but no luck yet (havent seriously looked yet)
Great post...there are so many possibilities
here is one that will grow in your area 5/6 Commercial Burley Tobacco Seed Cigarette just bought the seeds from amazon.com the book i bought on growing tobacco says it will grow here in indiana. i been buying seeds as part of my Dooms day prep heirloom seeds. i also been buying books to get prepared i learned to hunt fish trap blacksmithing bought a few books on steam engines and wind power. by the way sugar cane will grow here in indiana but sugar beets would be easier to grow.

i've gotton 2 free packets of heirloom rutgers tomato seeds..and will be getting 1 more packet this week.and all i've had to pay was shipping n handleing..but then again that prolly covered thier cost on seeds as well.

i grow stevia, it is an annual here where i am. if i want it fresh i pot it up for the winter. to use it you can use the fresh leaves or dry it and the powder it and use to sweeten. it takes very little and i usually go by taste. to use it in cooking buy some stevia cookbooks. i haven't gotten one yet but i do know they are out there.

Stevia isn't a sugar and can cause health problems. Stick to the basics. Actual sugars.

Latest posts

Back