What to Grow ??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of bees for honey instead of sugar. Much healthier- and honey is also good for aiding in wound healing.

We have a bee-fellow who asked to place several of his hives on our property, down by the river. He pays us in quarts of honey each year....superb trade off!! I can several things with honey as the sweetener, as well as make jelly and jam with honey. It changes the color a bit but otherwise its stellar! I grow peppermint for tea. My father, in Virginia grows tobacoo. Here in Colorado, the growing season isn't long enough to pull off a tobacco crop. My barter-stash of items consists of coffee and tea as I don't care how tough the economy gets, folks are going to want their coffee!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I couldn't skin anything. I'll stick to vegetables and fruit. lol
I've always loved vegetables, just as a side to the meat though! Seriously, I'm not crazy about killing anything, but if I'm right, and our economy goes to shit, I want to be practiced on how to produce my own food, both meat and veggies. I started growing things about three or four years ago, I guess the animals were just a natural progression from there. By the way, chickens are great for eggs, fertilizer and pest control even if you don't eat them.

We have a bee-fellow who asked to place several of his hives on our property, down by the river. He pays us in quarts of honey each year....superb trade off!! I can several things with honey as the sweetener, as well as make jelly and jam with honey. It changes the color a bit but otherwise its stellar! I grow peppermint for tea. My father, in Virginia grows tobacoo. Here in Colorado, the growing season isn't long enough to pull off a tobacco crop. My barter-stash of items consists of coffee and tea as I don't care how tough the economy gets, folks are going to want their coffee!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah
Wow, you really lucked out, I would love to get someone to raise bees here. I've thought about getting them but am spread thin on too many projects already. Over the last. Four years I put in about 65 fruit trees, 50 blueberries, 50 grapes, and have strawberries. I also do a vegetable garden and just got a 18x21' greenhouse up. Other than the greenhouse all those would benefit greatly with bees. With my lack of gardening skills I could use all the help I could get! Maybey one day, hey I saw a dating site on TV for farmers, maybey I could put out an ad for a bee woman! Lol. Wish you well, brent

I've always loved vegetables, just as a side to the meat though! Seriously, I'm not crazy about killing anything, but if I'm right, and our economy goes to shit, I want to be practiced on how to produce my own food, both meat and veggies. I started growing things about three or four years ago, I guess the animals were just a natural progression from there. By the way, chickens are great for eggs, fertilizer and pest control even if you don't eat them.
I agree about the meat. I'm not opposed to eating it-- I just couldn't kill or skin it. I actually eat lots of fish and I've been thinking about that. Is it possible to raise your own fish. Like salmon, I mean, not just pond and lake fish. I'm beginning to grow my own food. And I'm learning to make my own products like soap, wine, etc. necessities. I read a little about growing tea too. I drink tea and it's good for you and I want to learn to grow that. Basically I'm trying to teach myself to do anything that makes me self sustaining. The more I can do myself the better.

Blessings,
Shenandoah
It's awesome that you can trade for honey! Raw honey is good for so many things, including seasonal allergies. I use it as sweetener in everything. I don't use refined sugar at all unless I don't know how to modify something I'm baking. Honey has healing properties as well. Do you grow your own tea? Because I've been reading that it's difficult but I'd like to try.

I agree about the meat. I'm not opposed to eating it-- I just couldn't kill or skin it. I actually eat lots of fish and I've been thinking about that. Is it possible to raise your own fish. Like salmon, I mean, not just pond and lake fish. I'm beginning to grow my own food. And I'm learning to make my own products like soap, wine, etc. necessities. I read a little about growing tea too. I drink tea and it's good for you and I want to learn to grow that. Basically I'm trying to teach myself to do anything that makes me self sustaining. The more I can do myself the better.
I'm pretty impressed, you sound like you've learned a lot. I've seen a lot about aquaponics, it seems like a great system, fish waste feeding plants and plants cleaning water for fish. It would take a lot of set up but once running would be a great source of self reliance. Before spring I'm going to dig a pond beside the small creek on the front of my property and fence it to raise fish. I have a medium size pond that's in line with the creek but had most of the fish, (coy, bass and brim)wash downstream during storms. I'm learning all the time! If you're considering the aquaponics I think a secondary power source would be a must, as I'm not counting on the power grid to be around forever. I've been mostly self sufficient, and enjoy making/learning new things, I'd really like to hear how you make soap as I haven't tried that yet.

It's awesome that you can trade for honey! Raw honey is good for so many things, including seasonal allergies. I use it as sweetener in everything. I don't use refined sugar at all unless I don't know how to modify something I'm baking. Honey has healing properties as well. Do you grow your own tea? Because I've been reading that it's difficult but I'd like to try.

Misty-
I grow peppermint for tea...superb to settle an upset stomach. Thats the only tea I have attempted to grow. I have a good friend, a 70+ year-old homestead buddy in northern Idaho and she grows multiple types of teas!! That ol gal is simply amazing!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

i just ordered : National Pickling Cucumber seeds'...i havent eaten bread n butter pickles in ages.so i figured id give it a try.

i just ordered : National Pickling Cucumber seeds'...i havent eaten bread n butter pickles in ages.so i figured id give it a try.
Hey Jim, good luck with pickles. They are a great thing to start canning as are easy to do safely. Here in n ga we got so much rain that my garden pretty much drowned this year (and everyone else's too). The only thing I got a lot of was cucumbers, they love water! I did over fifty quarts of assorted favors of pickles, I like the b&btr also, but my favorite is a salty garlic pickel with some onion and a little crushed red pepper to give it a little kick. I've only been canning for two years now, and it's not too difficult so far. If you google pickel recipes you'll get about a million results, but you'll see most are similar and you can work with ingredients you like. I started raising rabbits recently, and hope to can meats in a pressure canner soon. The water bath canning(for pickles and tomatoes and such) is really easy to start though. Stay well.

all that sounds great..im also thinking along the lines of whole dill and dill spear pickles and dill relish as well..

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is the greenhouse I've been putting up!

OMG that looks AWESOME!! I am so jealous!
Thanks, I'm enjoying making it, now if I can just learn to grow things! I just got topsoil,sawdust, rabbit and chicken manure in the first of the the 4 raised beds, so Im getting closer. Any ideas on what I can plant now, with winter coming on? I think broccoli, carrots and onions are cold weather plants, will do some reading soon.

YEAH!!! now thats a greenhouse..you wanna come over and build one for me? LOL

YEAH!!! now thats a greenhouse..you wanna come over and build one for me? LOL
At the rate I'm going on this one I should be done in about ten years, I'll put ya on my list! Are you anywhere near San Antiono? I spent a year in school out there in the Army and was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The thing about Texas is it's big enough to be its own country! Be safe, brent

Thanks, I'm enjoying making it, now if I can just learn to grow things! I just got topsoil,sawdust, rabbit and chicken manure in the first of the the 4 raised beds, so Im getting closer. Any ideas on what I can plant now, with winter coming on? I think broccoli, carrots and onions are cold weather plants, will do some reading soon.

I have been reading up on cold weather planting for my area...but Im up in Indiana so its pretty limited. I do seem to remember that cabbage for sure is a good cold weather plant. But the other day I found an article about growing potatoes in the dead of winter-ill try to find it if you're interested. :)

I have been reading up on cold weather planting for my area...but Im up in Indiana so its pretty limited. I do seem to remember that cabbage for sure is a good cold weather plant. But the other day I found an article about growing potatoes in the dead of winter-ill try to find it if you're interested. :)
I looked up some n.ga sites and carrots,onions,garlic and lettuces were on the list. I didn't see potatoes but am willing to experiment with anything. I'll probably plant some stuff the first of the week. I was born in Louisville key, and you're definitely colder there, you would probably do better with some inside pots or containers during the really cold months. I could use an electric heater at night inside the greenhouse but am trying to learn to do stuff without electricity, so I'll be ready if ever needed. Stay safe.

I did some research for cold weather plants and came up with a list, went to wallyworld, lowes and tractor supply, nobody had any veggie seeds left! Looked online and went with seeds now.com , they had all kinds of non HMO seeds for .99cents per pack. Got a winter garden for 11 1/2 dollars! The larger packs of seeds were much cheaper but I've learned not to plant too much at once as it becomes a full time job. Anyways, wanted to plant tomorrow but will do it sometime next week now. I meant non gmo!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back