what to do.....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Quinn

Reaction score
What do you include and what do you leave out of your bug out bag.

My son and I laid out all the stuff we had amassed for our bug out bags Shelter first, then Water ,then Food, then all the other bits and pieces that you collect. we spent ages getting everything packed as small as possible ,and both bags still weigh about 40-44 lbs. with all the stuff that's left I can start an edc bag for my car.

It depends on where I am and what I am doing. My home kit includes NBC gear, if I am in a danger zone I might also pack it.

My essential item is my water purifier. Depending on the duration of the bug out, food could be added, but in most situations just bugging out and expecting to live off the land is a last case scenario, I could only expect perhaps 2 to 3 months unless I were to score large game as winter survival up here requires hunting or having food stockpiled from the summer. I would be forced to bug out to an area with food stored or further south. Unless it is life and dMoeath I wouldnt bug out as I don't enjoy carrying a long term food supply on my back on foot gas access and road access become issued in most SHTF worth bugging out for.

clothing is really the only other big thing, I have a bunch of other small things but when it comes down to it, if I'm dressed for the season, a water purifier is good but not absolutely needed, it makes getting water easier... but most rivers up here won't kill you frankly I think they are probably cleaner than the chemically treated water from the municipality.

If I was in danger due to civil violence or invasion I might also carry weapons for defence (and put my body armour on). If I was bugging out to the north then I would also consider it for security from animals.

I've roughted it and basically if you have your basic clothing you should be able to sleep anywhere and make an impromptu shelter a few garbage bags can help for rain or collection of leaves grass etc.. ... I like to travel light, of course I have optionals.. .but it really depends what I'm doing and where I'm going... my bob currently is pretty much a HAZMAT escape bag at the moment.

but I honestly don't consider anything very likely up here expet either a truck or train crash. (there was actually a train collision with a truck like a km from here a week or so ago... they say......... its odd I havn't found any signs it actually occured other than some new track being laid..

the other issue is potential for forest fire which the hazmat bag can help with that too. oddly there was a report of a fire at the same point, not really a danger to this area.. but there was no sign of a fire of the size reported except for unburned slash?

It seems like this summer should be cool. It is unthinkable that any sort of real war could reach the new world.

My big changes will be for my winter survival prep this coming winter... more or less all that changes is my clothes. where I add a few layers and change my boots.

I'm also considering snow shoes or skis. (leanng toward skis.)

I guess one never knows what will take place from day 2 day so I have a 2 bags in the trunk with blankets, can foods, mostly stuff soup to nuts so to speak.
Good thread guys

One of your best friends would be those big garbage bags. They can double as a poncho or make a shelter (lean-to style) in a jiff

Personally I find that less is more. I have food, spare change of cloths, matches in water proof container, rain gear and poncho, water, medical stuff. Then I have my knives and sleeping bag on the outside. I have my bow and quiver for protection and hunting. I also have some para cord

Latest posts

Back