What skills would you like to learn before the SHTF?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I realize I may not have the time to learn everything I'd like to prior to such an event, but if not, I am working on at least storing the INFO on how to do it.

My personal list:
1. Learning more Spanish (I can get by, but poorly).
2. How to make and use biodiesel fuel.
3. How to make my own ammo reloads.
4. More advanced medical skills (like EMT training).
5. How to brew my own alcohol.
6. More natural medicine.
7. More about home canning and old school preservation methods.

What I've learned this past year:
1. Masonry, concrete work
2. More electrician skills
3. More plumbing skills
4. More agricultural skills
5. More horsemanship
6. More vet medicine
7. More herbalism, plant identification

So, what do you want to learn in the next year or so?

Im planning on working on my HAM radio license, getting my hunting license, increasing knowledge of buildings, and i want to try and make a Biosand water filter and see how it works. Id also like to look into some other general things, like generators and canning, maybe even a little bit of bushcraft to expand upon my boyscout knowledge.

Thanks for the reminder. I have the same licensing plans.

I have quite a bit to learn:
Cooking skills (Im not too bad, but cooking from scrap is hard!)
Food Storage - because post shtf fan I dont think ill be able to order mylar bags lol
Gardening skill-getting better but I havent had to garden to support my family for a year. so definite improvement is needed.
I have zero hunting skills- my aim with a gun is pretty damn accurate but thats for a nonmoving target-hunting is completely different!
I havent fished in years- I would like to start fishing again in the next year or so- since i live within walking distance of a large fishing lake

In the past year I have amassed a giant prepper library-mainly old boyscoutting books and outdoors man books.
I am fairly comfortable handling just about any farm animal...including medical
I am fairly confident with my first aide skills-even thought there is always room for improvement.
I have just recently started working out again-its time to get toned up!! lol

I have zero hunting skills- my aim with a gun is pretty damn accurate but thats for a nonmoving target-hunting is completely different!

Back when I hunted, typically, you only shot them when they weren't moving (or were barely moving), so you'd probably be pretty decent at it. The harder part is knowing how to treat the carcass and doing that. Taking the shot is the easy part.

some of what i already know a lil bit about
roofing
carpentry
plumbing
gardening
(tracking extremly little)and hunting wildlife
the back roads
water filtration
cooking n canning
and i deffently need to learn lots more about all the above

Canning <- Just downloaded a Kindle book on this.
Water Filtration and catchment in an Urban Scenario. <- I live in a condo so there are a lot of limitations. Am purchasing a Puricom CP1 in October with 2 spare filters (each filter can handle 2,500 gallons)

if you want some websites on stuff like this I have a whole board on pinterest: Prepper DIY with lots of websites with info on skills and Prepping things... as for HAM Radio you have to register to get licensed I would know the stuff but not get licensed just because I dont like my name on lists but that is me. I wish I was stronger and more fit and had more money to learn construction, hunting, but I am trying to learn skills to stay useful to those who can do that stuff so I can trade my skills for their skills. and I have books on Spanish but have not touched them I have a hard time with languages. my big prepper skill so far is being a seamstress with a treadle sewing machine. although I can also sew by hand I am not as good as my sewing machine.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
http://stovetopstill.com/
these have info on biodiesel and stills for purifying water or making alcohol

diffrent breeds of lifestock just came to mind.like
horse's
cattle (beef and milk) cattle alike
goats.
sheep
chickens
and any other lifestock i figure to be good to have..

How to make a good tent or a kind of shelter, only with stuff I can find around me.
Hunting and fishing like a pro. And when I mean like a pro, I mean that I could eat fishing sharks and hunting bears. LOL

How to make a good tent or a kind of shelter, only with stuff I can find around me.
Hunting and fishing like a pro. And when I mean like a pro, I mean that I could eat fishing sharks and hunting bears. LOL

TypicalDude, shelter is one of the most important things to know in a survival situation when you are caught in the middle of nowhere. They can range from the simple lean-to to a more complex treehouse type.

i hadn't thought of tree house before...there's good advantages in that..some if not most ppl wont think off loking up for what ever..it'll give a better view of area..maybe better protection in some way or another..and if the right tree's are choosen,then well hid as well

I realize I may not have the time to learn everything I'd like to prior to such an event, but if not, I am working on at least storing the INFO on how to do it.

My personal list:
1. Learning more Spanish (I can get by, but poorly).
2. How to make and use biodiesel fuel.
3. How to make my own ammo reloads.
4. More advanced medical skills (like EMT training).
5. How to brew my own alcohol.
6. More natural medicine.
7. More about home canning and old school preservation methods.

What I've learned this past year:
1. Masonry, concrete work
2. More electrician skills
3. More plumbing skills
4. More agricultural skills
5. More horsemanship
6. More vet medicine
7. More herbalism, plant identification

So, what do you want to learn in the next year or so?
I need to learn how to clean an animal after killing it. Also more medical stuff. I probably should become more proficient at reloading.....
Better learn what I can and can't eat.

Practice, practice, practice !! A tarp is a awesome tool for shelter making i posted a video on it back in the day, i will see if i can find it.

I need to learn how to clean an animal after killing it. Also more medical stuff. I probably should become more proficient at reloading.....
Better learn what I can and can't eat.

This is how we used to clean a pig up at my Uncle's farm during the 1980's.

We would slit the jugular and drain the blood by hanging the pig upside down. (We would catch the blood which we use as a sauce in a famous Filipino dish called Dinuguan aka "Blood Soup" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinuguan)
Slice the abdomen open, making sure we don't cut into the entrails. This is so that we do not taint the meat.
Pull out the entrails as one complete package.
Cut the head off. Cut the carcass into two long half-carcasses then chop as necessary.

HTH

Latest posts

Back