What should i get?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mentioned Two big boxes of batteries of every size, Bunch of flash lights and head lamps in your list.i have flashlights and battries.but i keepum to a minium.2 flashlights for d battries one head lamp and 2 small hand helds with 3 double a's one rechargable lantern.and 3 lanterns with rechagable d battries.and unless i need to.i wont stock up more then that.simply because more whight i have to worry about the more i have that'll slow me down.and to much whight cuts down on gas milage.i also have 2 rechargable flashlights that i keep pluged into a electric outlet

For canning, you need to figure out what your family likes to eat. I do most everything I plant in the garden, if I can. Some things just don't can up well, like squash, but it is do able. You just loose the texture, so instead I dehydrate to use in soups. I do shred zucchini for the freezer to make breads and cakes. It all depends on you and your families taste buds.
As for general, USDA says a year on canned goods, but I have opened cans of green beans 5 years after processing and they are still good. As for jellies, I would still recommend trying to eat them within a couple years.
I know this is the Texas Storage, but it is still for all food on what the USDA recommends. They do not include home canned goods though.

Attachments

• texas_storage.pdf
    425 KB · Views: 4
canned items can last a long time we have bottled beans, beets etc in the basement which are 2 & 3 yrs old...still taste as good as the day we put them down

What are the things you would need for a chemical attack? Or pandemic? or riots? and whats the best radio communication with out getting a ham radio? What do you need to start canning and how long does what you can last!

Chemical or Pandemic = pretty much the same preps. First, have a lot of plastic sheeting you can use and duct tape. Check the FEMA site for more info, but yeah, chem suits and masks too, but masks (at least N95 rated) are a must, and generally a cheap prep.

Riots = Firearms, pure and simple. Rioters are by and large, cowards, so fire a couple shots, and no problem.

Communication = CB radio is good to about 5 miles or so, and fairly cheap. Handheld radios are nice, but only about 1 or 2 miles tops (no matter what it says...that 30 miles? Yeah, mountaintop to mountaintop).

Canning = They sell basic canning sets, plus a pressure cooker is a good idea. Canned foods can last for YEARS, typically they say 5 years, but really, I've had stuff canned over 10 years ago that tasted just as good as the day it was home canned.

Of course, add to this the basics, water for example....

Advertising while being a non vendor
Not a gasmask they are size of a womans purse they strap to your chest they allow you to breath your own air for upto 8hrs

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back