What preps do YOU have for rainy weeks?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandra

Reaction score
So I noticed that there's not really any discussions here about what to do when the rain just won't stop.

I live in Norway, and here we can get A LOT of rain. People have been evacuated due to flood and rivers deciding to eat houses.

Personally, I have a great deal of firewood inside our appartment (we rent, not much to do about it) for our fireplace in case the power goes bye-bye. I also have a great deal of dried, canned and powdered foods and most don't need to be boiled or heated. Matches, candles and paper is also a must for me + cards and games.
Recently I also cut som sheets of wood large enough to cover our windows if we must.

Soap, toiletpaper and tissues. Oh! I also have a medicine cabinet filled with goodness.

In case we need to be evacuated, I have a list of what goes where and the priority level. Clothes to make a quick trip outside is located so it is easily accessible. We can get out of here within minutes.

So what are you doing to prep for weeks and months with pouring rain?

Very good question, the games is a very good start i think, may you can give a thought to knitting or crochet work it keeps the mind and hands occupied and you produce something at the same time, jerseys scarfs ext. If there is a man around maybe some wood carving seeing that youve got some wood around, spoons, bowls alike....

i have a nook color,and a rechargeable and portable jump starter in which i can plug the nook into..thats short term to long term during a outage.i have a power converter and a extension cord i use to recharge the jump starter in the vehicle..we also have decks of cards,paperback books,mom has variety puzzle books.i'm pretty much in charge of seeing to our comforts during a outage.and that includes making sure we have plenty of light through out the home.making sure heat is going,(if it's needed).to whatever..we have canned foods that can be eaten straight from the can,if needed.and dry foods as well..

Another thing we do is we keep all the old magazines, stuff like "Handy Man", can serve two purposes fire and and reading (entertainment).

We get a lot of rain here. Our biggest challenges are some short term flooding and that it oversaturates the septic drainfields, which means the toilets won't flush so well.

We rarely lose power to it, but if we do, we have oil lanterns in all main rooms, candles, and flashlights as well as LED lanterns for light. We have two fridges and a freezer, but unless power is out for more than about 4 hours, they pretty much keep. We just avoid going in and out of them during that time.

For entertainment, we have a TON of board games, so if the power goes, it usually means a board game night. As for the septic, we stockpile some emergency treatments to boost the bacteria, which helps some.

For cooking, we just use the gas grill (which also has a burner), if we lose electric.

For the chickens, we have a tarp we can put around the coop, which keeps them dry.

Horse goes in her stall, with windows shuttered, and the bunny cages were already moved into an empty stall, so they'd be more out of the weather, at least until I build their bigger, more expansive habitat...which is now likely going to be a job for this weekend...as we may be boarding a lot of horses soon.

We get a lot of rain here. Our biggest challenges are some short term flooding and that it oversaturates the septic drainfields, which means the toilets won't flush so well.

We rarely lose power to it, but if we do, we have oil lanterns in all main rooms, candles, and flashlights as well as LED lanterns for light. We have two fridges and a freezer, but unless power is out for more than about 4 hours, they pretty much keep. We just avoid going in and out of them during that time.

For entertainment, we have a TON of board games, so if the power goes, it usually means a board game night. As for the septic, we stockpile some emergency treatments to boost the bacteria, which helps some.

For cooking, we just use the gas grill (which also has a burner), if we lose electric.

For the chickens, we have a tarp we can put around the coop, which keeps them dry.

Horse goes in her stall, with windows shuttered, and the bunny cages were already moved into an empty stall, so they'd be more out of the weather, at least until I build their bigger, more expansive habitat...which is now likely going to be a job for this weekend...as we may be boarding a lot of horses soon.

I've recently been looking into raising rabbits as a food source. How are they compared to raising chickens? Living space, feed, time spent in care, anything that books may not mention would be helpful. Thanks Gazrok

Those rainy days would also be a good time to read up on different skills, teach yourself a new skill, take up something you wouldn't ordinarily do. Maybe take apart something and see how it works, then put it back together (best done with items that you don't need, just in case!)

On my first Iraq deployment, our main boardgame was Risk. I can only say that this can lead to some very strongly worded arguments and may border on moving to a physical level, but that was just us. Be prepared to cool down these heated engagements. Especially if your stuck in close proximity and times are bad!

I've recently been looking into raising rabbits as a food source. How are they compared to raising chickens? Living space, feed, time spent in care, anything that books may not mention would be helpful. Thanks Gazrok

Rabbits are pretty easy to care for. It only gets tricky if you want to actually breed them. Fair warning, most of the time, the first litter of a rabbit doesn't make it. Male rabbits though, often don't get along with other males, so you may have to have them separate or some may get along with some, but not others. We actually had one male survive from our first litter, which is why we keep 3 bunnies (though we'd add more if we feel the need).

I'm actually working on a bigger habitat for them, as they keep fine in a small area, but I like to be as humane as possible, and unless there's a SHTF event, we basically treat them as pets (I also want them to enjoy their home and have fun things to hop up to, etc.). Basically, just provide bunny feed (I also like to give them about a half a carrot cut up each day) and water, and keep their habitat clean, and you're good. They also like to have a place they can hide (to simulate a burrow), to feel safe, and of course, keep them out of the rain as much as you can, to keep them healthy.

In hot climates, they can get overheated too, so be sure their habitat/cage allows for airflow. We actually have a fan on ours, and when it's really hot in the summer, we'll stick in a frozen drinking water bottle for them to help keep cool. If you get harsh cold weather, make sure they have some warmth. (they can take cold, but varies by breed).

When getting a water bottle, be sure to get those with metal drinking nibs (otherwise they'll chew it to pieces) and a top opening (to make it easier to refill). As an odd tip, if you find the rabbits can often chew holes in the water bottle, a standard 2 liter bottle screws right into the watering nibs. These are basically free (if you drink from 2 liters), so they can keep chewing, and you can keep replacing. Get metal food bowls too, for the same reason. They'll chew anything else.

Don't rely on chicken wire. It isn't strong enough to hold up to rabbits. Eventually, they will get through it. Use a stronger fencing material, like 1/2 inch hardware mesh. Space should be about 4-6 times the space of the rabbit stretched out. This isn't always easy to achieve with purchased housing though. They take up more space than chickens, and don't give eggs, so are only "productive" when you cull them, but for us, it's good just knowing there is a possibility there.

If breeding, gestation is about 30 days. A female rabbit can breed at 6 months. Most folks breed every 60 days if doing so for food, though usually want to limit it to about 3-4 litters per year for health reasons. Just one breeding couple can really multiply in this fashion, though generally best to have a few different bloodlines.

So I noticed that there's not really any discussions here about what to do when the rain just won't stop.

I live in Norway, and here we can get A LOT of rain. People have been evacuated due to flood and rivers deciding to eat houses.

Personally, I have a great deal of firewood inside our appartment (we rent, not much to do about it) for our fireplace in case the power goes bye-bye. I also have a great deal of dried, canned and powdered foods and most don't need to be boiled or heated. Matches, candles and paper is also a must for me + cards and games.
Recently I also cut som sheets of wood large enough to cover our windows if we must.

Soap, toiletpaper and tissues. Oh! I also have a medicine cabinet filled with goodness.

In case we need to be evacuated, I have a list of what goes where and the priority level. Clothes to make a quick trip outside is located so it is easily accessible. We can get out of here within minutes.

Keeping food and supplies on hand should be commonplace for everyone. I consider 'a rainy day or week' just one of many scenarios. Growing up in a hurricane prone area, storms are just one reason to be prepared, but what about a medical issue preventing you from working, or a job layoff? There are scores of reasons to have extra supplies on hand. As far as being bored during a prolonged disruption, having to live without all our modern conviences should keep you sufficiently occupied to help keep you from boredom.

i rather enjoy the power outages we get time 2 time.i not only learn what i need to do,just to improve on what i need and all..but yet.i find the quiet time rather nice...plus if i think of,or notice something that can be done,and without electricity..chances are.i'll go ahead and do that..

My focus on preps has been to live without electricity for a while now. No, I don't want to, but want ways to function for when or if we do loose it. I've got heat, cooking, lights and referigeration set fairly well now. Next will involve hot water options. By spring I would like to build a solar collector to put on the roof.

Nice systems! I wish I could afford to just go buy a setup. I'll make something using the materials I have or can find inexpensively. The only thing I don't allready have in mind is a thermostaticly controlled valve that will shut off and drain the system when it approaches freezing. I can go out and purchase materials for it, but think that will be the most expensive part, but also necessary with the winters we have here. I wouldn't want to rely on me remembering to go out and drain the system each time it could possibly freeze. I had a solar system in Fla. at my last house for the pool. I doubled the size recommended for it and could make it into a large hot tub most of the winter. I really hate cold water! It was just a header pipe with a vinyl rubber mat that had tubes in it that drained into a return pipe. While the pump was running to keep the pool clean it also heated it. Being black, it absorbed a lot of heat on sunny days. The biggest drawback for me is I like to shower first thing in the morning. Solar systems only work during the day, so I would have to adjust my routine to bathe in the afternoons. I guess it's a small price to pay for hot water.

im glad that i decided to reread this thread.i started power outage comfort folder on my nook.in which,i already have 3 items on it..and with the way things look at this time.

im glad that i decided to reread this thread.i started power outage comfort folder on my nook.in which,i already have 3 items on it..and with the way things look at this time.
I live by lists! I'm not sure I've ever actually completed one, but do keep plugging away at it. It's ever evolving, so some minor things just keep getting bumped to the bottom. I also like paper vs the electronics. If we loose power for any length of time the computers aren't going to do so well.

just like you.i love the list.i probably have 5 different list..lol..but mine are on my nook.and thats mostly because i can change the order they are in by importance..pluss i can add or delete whatever,when ever.and i can always take the nook out to the vehicle and recharge it there.or use my jump starter to do that.

just like you.i love the list.i probably have 5 different list..lol..but mine are on my nook.and thats mostly because i can change the order they are in by importance..pluss i can add or delete whatever,when ever.and i can always take the nook out to the vehicle and recharge it there.or use my jump starter to do that.
Years and years ago, I bought my first computer for my business. It was great, printed invoices, checks, etc. Well after a year or so, the damned thing crashed, and I lost all the info that had been building up in it. I guess this is where my mistrust from electronics comes from. I think there great, but still like to keep a paper backup, just in case.

I think Prozac would be a good prep for me if we got weeks and weeks of rain! I grew up in sunny Florida, where it's clear blue and warm 90% of the time, and I get depressed in gloomy weather! :).

Brent, you mentioned you love lists (me too). Check out Trello.com Great list software!

Latest posts

Back