What not to do

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Norwegian

Reaction score
Saturday I went through some sections here at the forum with my wife.
She then asked me a simple question that was kind of hard to answer.
In different scenarios of disasters people react in many ways. Including panicing.
Are there some few wise thing of what not to do?
Of course it is best to focus on what to do but could be nice to have some thoughts of what not to do. Most important if there are a situation that means we have to react quickly.

First thing not to do is PANIC
Always have a level head and think clearly.

Assess the situation first before anything else (after not Panicking, of course). Like Do I need to Bug Out or do I Bug In first.

Do not forget to update Facebook status on where you are going?? Hahaha. :p

Well, if bugging out, do not forget the bag...
Also see that lots of people are often following the first person who runs and without having any clue if he or she is taking the right choice. So do not be sure that everyone else is right.

Do not forget to update Facebook status on where you are going?? Hahaha. :p

Well, if bugging out, do not forget the bag...
Also see that lots of people are often following the first person who runs and without having any clue if he or she is taking the right choice. So do not be sure that everyone else is right.

Might want to consider this hahaha o_O
Exit Building Before Tweeting About It.jpg

Avoid confrontations at all costs, especially when people are in panic mode. If at all possible be the "grey man". Don't do anything or wear anything that will attract attention to yourself unless its necessary! Meaning....don't wear expensive jewelry around people that may target you. On the other hand if your lost do what ever you can to draw attention to yourself. Things like that!!

When it happens work and remember to breath...

• In through the nose, two, three, four.
  • Hold two, three, four.
  • Out through the lips two, three, four.
  • Hold two, three, four.
This tactical breathing sequence is most effective when repeated at least four times.

Don't think all bets are off just because SHTF. It may not be as bad as you think. Also, some people may not take kindly to what you thought was self defense. Don't assume all your plans will work. Don't assume nothing is gonna happen until you are 100% ready.

I've read up on this, and kinda developed my own set of 'rules' on this very thing:

1. don't tell anyone (who isn't going with you) where you're bugging out to. You might not want them following you.
2. Don't over-react. Watch, listen, and then make an informed decision. Panicking will only mess you up, and could be deadly.
3. Don't pack a BOB so heavy you can't carry it a long ways. Make sure you've tested its weight.
4. Don't tell anyone you're a prepper. (like your neighbors, friends at work, etc.) in a prolonged crisis, they might remember that you stockpiled food and come to take it.
5. In a prolonged situation, you aren't going to be able to help people. People might beg you, play on your sympathies.. you need to prepare now how you'll respond to these people, or if you will at all.
6. Make sure you have more than just one, or even two, plans. I plan on having more than one BO location in mind, and also to have the ability to simply go wherever I have to. If/when SHTF, you might have to BO, and you might NOT be able to BO where you intended. Its possible.
7. Make sure you have a battery-powered radio for news, and extra batteries or solar-rechargeable batteries on hand. The best way to survive will be to stay informed as much as possible. (I read this, and totally agree)
8. Make sure, if you are buggin out, that you have GOOD BOOTS ON. I live in the country already, and I'm tellin you, tennis shoes just don't hold up long in rough terrain.
9. Stockpile any prescription medications you have to take regularly. You don't wanna survive a disaster, just to die of a stroke or something. NOT cool.
10. If you have children, make sure you have 'drilled' with them, and that they understand whats going on. If they aren't prepared, they will be scared, and thats not good either. They have to have some basic understanding, so that you can travel easier, and they will be more calm.

So far, this is what I have. Its the 'rules' I have written in my little 'SHTF' journal.

If you have kids do a head count every so often to make sure you still have all of them with you. Children, especially little ones will do what is ingrained in the young of most mammals and try to hide from whatever the danger is. However illogical it may seem to us, small children may hide in a toy box, under a bed, in a closet, under a box, or behind a door during a house fire to name a few things. It isn't because they are trying to be bad, it is hardwiring of the brain of nearly all mammalian young; hide until the danger is gone.

If you have young children and you have the time to do so, take a moment and use a Sharpie pen and write: their name, your name, address, closest relative and their contact information on the child's torso, front and back. As horrible as it is to think about you may become separated from your child and a traumatized child may not speak to a stranger. Someone needs to know who they are and who their people are. If there is time, consider doing something of the same for yourself. I'm thinking natural disasters here, like flooding and what have you. Families get separated especially if something happens to the adult in charge.

Although we all teach our kids what we want them to do in case of emergency, most times what they remember flies right out of the window and is replaced with fear until the child is a little older, 10 or so. No matter that we say that we've drilled for such and such to happen and that they will do such and such, don't put all of your faith on it.

I'll give you a case in point. This happened to me when I was little, maybe 8 years old. Now growing up the way I had, I was a fair hand on the farm, could deal with most things that came along because that was just daily life, I didn't know any better. My family decided to take us to Six Flags amusement park as a treat that summer and I got separated from them. I wouldn't say anything to anyone that tried to help me, even though they were in uniform and it was their job. I froze, did the deer in the headlights thing that a lot of kids do. Took my parents 3 hours to find me and only found me by describing what I was wearing. The park attendant who had found me couldn't get me to budge, I stayed beside that damn bush the entire time. My parents didn't understand why I hadn't told them who I was and I couldn't answer them, just that I had to stay where I was.

Maybe I was just the freak kid on the block, but I don't think so. So yes, teach your kids what to do, do it often, but remember when the shit does go down, they may shut down and you'll have to be there to nudge them back into gear.

I dearly pray none of us ever have to deal with it, but I know that is a pray that won't be answered because we will have to deal with it. So do your head counts religiously. Head the group with an adult, tie a line to each wrist and end the line with an adult or the oldest child.

I know it was mentioned prior, but Im going to have to second the "dont panic, assess the situation." I think assessing the situation is probably the most critical step besides being prepared, and even then, a bad assessment can render your preps useless. Thus, it would seem that making this assessment would be best done with a level head. Next would be the bug-in vs. bug-out choice, which will be heavily dependent on your assessment of the situation. Even people who are prepped to bug-out, I would always suggest that they at least assess the possibility that bugging-in could prove more beneficial. Id hate to get screwed because I up and left at the first hint of trouble, and bugging-in proved to be a better option. I would also suggest that one does not follow the general public, as many of them are not prepared (mentally or generally), and are being driven by panic like dumb cattle.

For the most part, id say that youre probably good on what to do, and i think your survival mentality will kick in and keep you from making bad choices if that time ever comes. The fact that youre asking about this says something about your mental preparedness, and it shows that youre already trying to absorb all the info you can, which will be very useful when the time comes!

I know it was mentioned prior, but Im going to have to second the "dont panic, assess the situation." I think assessing the situation is probably the most critical step besides being prepared, and even then, a bad assessment can render your preps useless. Thus, it would seem that making this assessment would be best done with a level head. Next would be the bug-in vs. bug-out choice, which will be heavily dependent on your assessment of the situation. Even people who are prepped to bug-out, I would always suggest that they at least assess the possibility that bugging-in could prove more beneficial. Id hate to get screwed because I up and left at the first hint of trouble, and bugging-in proved to be a better option. I would also suggest that one does not follow the general public, as many of them are not prepared (mentally or generally), and are being driven by panic like dumb cattle.

For the most part, id say that youre probably good on what to do, and i think your survival mentality will kick in and keep you from making bad choices if that time ever comes. The fact that youre asking about this says something about your mental preparedness, and it shows that youre already trying to absorb all the info you can, which will be very useful when the time comes!

Well said !!

Latest posts

Back