What movies to pack if you have to bug-out when SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
2012-movie-2.jpg

In another thread, Gazrok gave me an idea...what if we had enough solar power and wind generators to run the TV and DVD player. So why not just start a fan favorite...what movies would you pack in your kit or have at your BOL, if SHTF and Hollywood got swallowed up in the Pacific or we lost Los Angeles?

First and foremost...I have to have some feel me good movies...nothing like the entire Disney Collection...also a great motivator when things are down...tell me you would not just start singing "Bear Necessities" from Jungle Book or a good ole Randy Newman song from Toy Story!

Of course...Heart Break Ridge and the entire Clint Eastwood collection of Spaghetti Westerns...Fist full of Dollars!

John Wayne...True Grit, Cahill, U.S. Marshall

and if your feeling like the real SHTF is occurring, then just slide in 2012...should make your day a little brighter, until we see the new release of the next doomsday movie that will hit soon. Nothing like a doomsday movie to spur on this thread and getting preppers to look at their stuff (lol)....
battle-los-angeles-movie-4.jpg

Any thoughts...

Last edited:
Lots of comedies, especially slapstick. The kind of movies one can watch over and over.

The Disney films (and other animated blockbusters) are essential for the kids...

The Star Wars films

Mel Brooks' spoof movies (Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs, History of the World, etc.)

The Lord of the Rings films

The Pirates of the Caribbean films

Good, history movies

Science documentaries

Good, old school Anime' films (Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, etc.)

Mostly comedies though. In a SHTF situation, will need all the laughs we can get....

Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Star Wars, but not the prequels. Fight Club and American Psycho to explain to people growing up post-SHTF how bad it was before. (Assuming financial collapse.) Anchorman. Aliens. (I have a really nice box set with all 4 films and tons of extras but it's rather heavy; the second one was my favorite, followed closely by the first.) I have a few concert films that I would take too, probably all three of my NIN DVDs and my Dream Theater DVD.

for kids alot of Disney, for adults Chaplin,Buster Keaton and Harold Loyd films,for me Star Trek(spin-offs incl.),Star Wars and Stargate(spin-offs incl),documentarys, old classics like Tarzan and Robin Hood

ever since saw first star trek from tv and that's a few years ago

Lots of sci-fi fans in the house, I like it.

Shadow, its been years since I was in Little Tokyo, you might have to GPS and Google the address, but their use to be a huge Japanese Toy Store-Merchant distributor there. He had all the old and new models, toys that dealt with Japanese Anime and cartoons. Now remember your going to pay a conversion rate, but you might find one of those toys that you simply can't find, unless your a determined internet shopper, at any rate, for me it was a great excuse to get my daughter who was "2" at the time, all the Sailor Moon stuff...might be a nice side trip for you and your wife. Know that Disney is the focus, but if your straying off campus, and heading to the beach...its a nice side get away...also the Japanese food is not to bad either...I'd recommend the Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Cutlet beaded in Panko).

All 6 rocky movies. We may need the motivation.
Monty Python search for the holy grail. For laughs It never gets old.
All of the Star Trek movies Because it's Star Trek and Kirk is BA
All of the Die Hard movies. To remind us that nothing is that bad if you can come up with a corny one liner to some it all
Anything with Will Ferril. For odvious reasons.

TV series would be a good idea. (and a great way to kind of replicate the pre SHTF world, if you don't binge-watch).

TV series would be a good idea. (and a great way to kind of replicate the pre SHTF world, if you don't binge-watch).

Got to agree with you. I've been using Walmart to make DVD's for me on some old VCR tapes that I have in boxes. Its a lot less weight. Too limit the psychological impact on the children, we have a plan to make a small day care center at the BOL. So cartoons, Disney Movies, National Geographic, Discovery shows are high on the list. I've been taping using a VCR for years. So have a pretty good array of TV shows. LOL, who knows if the net doesn't go down, we may still be able to use Hulu, Netflix and Amazon to watch shows.

Since I am a teacher, I've got access to an entire collection of computer immersion learning that is stored on several DVD's and a thumb drive. The plan is to dedicated a few laptops, if we still have power to have them attend school like it were back to normal. One of the ladies to include my wife will be a teacher.

I loved enjoyed everyone's input and added a few that I forgot existed.

I recall that after 9/11 there was a period of time where Hollywood was afraid that people were not ready for new action films and disaster movies.
With that in mind, after a real disaster you may not want to have a disaster film in the DVD player or pulled up from your external drive
I tend to keep a small collection of my more favorite films in a carrier near my larger collection. Each family member had a similar collection for their favorites. It was handy when my kids were younger and we'd be hitting the road on a long road trip

2012-movie-2.jpg

In another thread, Gazrok gave me an idea...what if we had enough solar power and wind generators to run the TV and DVD player. So why not just start a fan favorite...what movies would you pack in your kit or have at your BOL, if SHTF and Hollywood got swallowed up in the Pacific or we lost Los Angeles?

First and foremost...I have to have some feel me good movies...nothing like the entire Disney Collection...also a great motivator when things are down...tell me you would not just start singing "Bear Necessities" from Jungle Book or a good ole Randy Newman song from Toy Story!

Of course...Heart Break Ridge and the entire Clint Eastwood collection of Spaghetti Westerns...Fist full of Dollars!

John Wayne...True Grit, Cahill, U.S. Marshall

and if your feeling like the real SHTF is occurring, then just slide in 2012...should make your day a little brighter, until we see the new release of the next doomsday movie that will hit soon. Nothing like a doomsday movie to spur on this thread and getting preppers to look at their stuff (lol)....
battle-los-angeles-movie-4.jpg

Any thoughts...
Not real high on my priority list, but I would grab all my westerns and super hero movies.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

I would point out that all the junk on TV & in movies is in part what is leading to the downfall of our country. So why would I want to not only preserve some of that, but immediately push it on the next generation?

So, none of that for me. Some might argue that some classics like The Lone Ranger, Lassie, & Little House on the Prairie are good moral-teaching shows. The problem is that those evolved into the sick trash we have today. Nope, I'll take the old fashioned "go outside and play" strategy.

Funny, movies never even made my list of consideration. Somehow, anything requiring electricity didn’t rank high for me.

Funny, movies never even made my list of consideration. Somehow, anything requiring electricity didn’t rank high for me.

I remember a scene in the Chris Nolan dragon movie (totally blanking on the name)...but it was post apocalyptic... He and a few others were acting out a scene from Star Wars, for the kids.... I could see that, no electricity needed, as long as someone knew enough of the basics.

So, a list of these is still a pretty valuable tool. No plugs required.

EDIT: Movie was "Reign of Fire"...just remembered.

If bugging out not planning on taking any movies. If bugging in we have enough here but only play if situation warrants but one thing for sure, I'm not going to waste precious fuel/diesel and propane to power such things, If I later move to a solar setup and have energy to spare than it is something I will consider but right now, out of the question.

If in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI why would we want to watch movies with a conflictual theme to it? Why would people want to stay in the mind of dispair and not watch something with a little more uplifting especially if kids are involved, just saying.

Funny you mention that. When we were sitting without power during Irma, watching a movie on the laptop was at least something to do...especially when it wasn't good to be outside. Had a truck charger for it, so wasn't too worried. (and an inverter if really called for).

(until I killed my battery, charging up everything under the sun with it, lol).

I agree with if you have solar and power to spare, why not? But in a real shtf wasting fuel wouldn’t be an option.

Solar phone charger + tablet or phone (turn off all the transmitters and receivers - GPS, WIFI, Mobile Service, Nearfield, BlueTooth, etc.). Free entertainment, why not? It's not like it takes megawatts of power.

Slapstick comedy will probably make a comeback.

Latest posts

Back