What kind of bag are you using as a bug out bag?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what would be best for two adults and two young children? Also, what do you have/are going to have in it?
Everybody has different needs so some basics are water, food, shelter, toys for kids, warm cloths, swiss army knife and multi tool, water filter, medical supplies, wet wipes, toilet paper, bandanna, some type of stove, sleeping bag. the list goes on and on, there is a thread that Krime did a great job on bug out bags. Maybe start with a GHB get home bag or three day bag, And figure out what YOU need to survive for three days and test it. It is also a work in progress, I went through mine at least 10 times changing thing around figuring out what worked best for me. I feel that once you start carrying a bag you will be surprised how much you start using the stuff you carry. Medical is a big one, that I seem to use a lot.

Everybody has different needs so some basics are water, food, shelter, toys for kids, warm cloths, swiss army knife and multi tool, water filter, medical supplies, wet wipes, toilet paper, bandanna, some type of stove, sleeping bag. the list goes on and on, there is a thread that Krime did a great job on bug out bags. Maybe start with a GHB get home bag or three day bag, And figure out what YOU need to survive for three days and test it. It is also a work in progress, I went through mine at least 10 times changing thing around figuring out what worked best for me. I feel that once you start carrying a bag you will be surprised how much you start using the stuff you carry. Medical is a big one, that I seem to use a lot.
Oh don't forget a fire kit.

And what would be best for two adults and two young children? Also, what do you have/are going to have in it?
I would suggest that you get four bags one for everyone.I have the medium Alice pack,my wife and oldest child have regular backpacks.my youngest has wheels on it main thing with kids is snacks and things to keep them occupied.As far as what to put In one colts list is a great starting point. Then just adjust it to fit your needs.

I'm usuing a nice sized molle pack, and a small range bag for carrying our essentials for myself and my fiance' I love molle packs due to their large storage capacity and their ability of weight distribution. As well as a large cammelbak (don't think I spelled that correctly) for an immediate source of water.

I would get two school-sized backpacks for the children to carry with clothes, food, water, etc... and a molle pack for both yourself and your significant other.

The mollepack I have only cost about $50 great item :)

I am using a bag by 5.11 called the Rush 72 Backpack. It sells on their site for $179.99
  • 23 H x 15 W x 8 D
  • Water-resistant 1050-denier nylon
  • Flexible main storage compartments
  • Internal dividers
  • Compression straps
  • Hydration pocket
  • Fleece lined eyewear pocket
  • Sternum straps
  • Molle-compatible webbing on front and sides
  • Elastic keeper for strap ends
  • Name tape and flag holder
  • Built-in hip pads
  • Adjustable waistband
  • YKK® zippers
  • Three colors; Black, Flat Dark Earth and Tac OD
5.11 Bug Out Bag.jpg

I'm usuing a nice sized molle pack, and a small range bag for carrying our essentials for myself and my fiance' I love molle packs due to their large storage capacity and their ability of weight distribution. As well as a large cammelbak (don't think I spelled that correctly) for an immediate source of water.

I would get two school-sized backpacks for the children to carry with clothes, food, water, etc... and a molle pack for both yourself and your significant other.

The mollepack I have only cost about $50 great item :)

Does your molle pack have the side molle attachments?

No it doesn't :( but I imagine I could order some online and throw them on for additional space, however at this point in time it provides sufficient storage.

Can't remember the name of it, and will find out later but I have my main one and a couple of smaller ones for family members

Also think about how much you/your family can carry, now think if you can run a mile non stop with not only your bug bag, but if your kids are too small to run, youll more than likly be carring your bug bag + you child(ren) + their packs.

These are all such great answers, thank you. I'll be gooogling all these bags. My daughter is 4 and my son just turned two so they can't carry anything too big. That was a very good suggestion Krime. Would we be able to run a straight mile? My husband and I would definitely be carrying our son and our daughter on and off.

These are all such great answers, thank you. I'll be gooogling all these bags. My daughter is 4 and my son just turned two so they can't carry anything too big. That was a very good suggestion Krime. Would we be able to run a straight mile? My husband and I would definitely be carrying our son and our daughter on and off.
Pack them small pack, with a couple small toys, coloring books and crayons, just stuff to make them feel a little normality in an abnormal situation. also, is your 2yr old still in dipers/training dipers? you may wanna pack cloth dipers w/baby safty pins too. you can also pack in the older kids pack an actual (non-harmful obviously) prepper idem, like fishing line/equipment, to make them feel special, like their helping. i know my 5yr old is real independent and likes to help.

Also think about how much you/your family can carry, now think if you can run a mile non stop with not only your bug bag, but if your kids are too small to run, youll more than likly be carring your bug bag + you child(ren) + their packs.

Krime: This is a very good point. My daughter had my three grandchildren (ages 10,9,7) on the AT. 5 1/2 miles in, 5 1/2 miles back...with small packs. But then again they all can run 5k (without packs).

Krime: This is a very good point. My daughter had my three grandchildren (ages 10,9,7) on the AT. 5 1/2 miles in, 5 1/2 miles back...with small packs. But then again they all can run 5k (without packs).
5k?????????
And id love to see a 7yr old run 11 miles bro.

5k?????????
And id love to see a 7yr old run 11 miles bro.

Correction: The 10 yr old ran a 5k
The 9 yr old ran a 5k
The 7 yr old ran a 1k
But they all did a 11 mile hike on the AT last weekend. Totally athletic family.

Latest posts

Back