What is the purpose of bugging OUT?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - I see - you all agree to have a plan! We in South Afirca have a saying - a boer mak a plan - a farmer has a plan - no matter what happens! Why? Because there is no-one you can phone if you live in the middle of nowwhere - just like the early settlers (in USA and South Africa). You are alone and have to have a plan for every situation - every problem coming your way. I guess we are all of the same breed - we think about tomorrow and how we will survive. And we have to be open mindend. Whatever happens we have to have a solution - because someone important once said - there are no problems - only solutions!

I do not plan to BO - I rather lay low and BI - at least as for long as possible. But if there are forces coming my way I can not ignore I need to leave - and bug out! And for that I have to be prepared too. So growing my own veggies, have ample of water in store and some guns for self-defense I also have a relaible car I can use for BO and can gather the most important items in less than 30 minutes to "run" out of harms way.

Current news show us the tenthousands of kurds in Syria who flew their homes from a real thread - ISIL - and many of them die on their quest to survive because they did not prepare. They waited for the last moment to leave their homes - able only to take what they can grab in an instant and then running like lemmings towards the step cliff.

No thanks - I better have a plan! Be openminded, trust in the good of humanity and be prepared for the worst! Thats how I plan to survive any SHTF situation.

Bugging out is usually a worst case scenario prep and you should have a spot planned to bug out to. There are lots of places people live that may be uninhabitable with no running water, or in some areas there may be dangerous gangs that make it unsafe. Another reason is that you may not have a place to grow your own food and if you only have a year's food supply and the situation hasn't resolved itself you're going to need to resupply yourself somehow. Also something to consider if you live in a city or area where buildings are close together if shtf you may not have a fire department to put out house fires and when not put out fires spread.

Bugging out is usually a worst case scenario prep and you should have a spot planned to bug out to. There are lots of places people live that may be uninhabitable with no running water, or in some areas there may be dangerous gangs that make it unsafe. Another reason is that you may not have a place to grow your own food and if you only have a year's food supply and the situation hasn't resolved itself you're going to need to resupply yourself somehow. Also something to consider if you live in a city or area where buildings are close together if shtf you may not have a fire department to put out house fires and when not put out fires spread.

Bugging in or out is geographically dependent. One of the challenges a B.O/I.L will have is location, an example here; up north we have 3 large counties combined is 3,439.809 residents (most of the residents here believe the government is the savor), mass exodus (slightly less then 10%) from the north roughly putting it in the range of 300,000 hungry and thirsty people taking the rout of least resistance meaning heading south on I5 in doing so is going to lay waste to 2 to 3sq miles per camp day sucking up resources along the way, in my opinion bugging in or out one needs to be at least a minimum of 20miles away from these exit routs, mothers and fathers with hungry kids are not going to be deplomatic especially when in numbers then take into account the criminal element with in the mass, the one thing to always remember, the destitute has nothing to lose whereas the prepared has everything. It not just cities regarding fires, where I am fires are a bigger concern then mass intruders, fire lookout tower is something I am planning to build.

2014 mass exodus (middle east)

0fde5648e46dec1b3a0f6a706700acd9.jpg

Last edited:
Even those of us who are bugging in, have a bug out plan if things go south.
Not everyone does, though. Some folks would rather go down trying to hold down the fort.

Ok - I see - you all agree to have a plan! ...
I do not plan to BO - I rather lay low and BI - at least as for long as possible. But if there are forces coming my way I can not ignore I need to leave - and bug out! And for that I have to be prepared too. ...

That's what I'm thinking. If I have the option, I would rather hold down the fort. If not, I don't want to wait until everyone else is already on the prowl to get out of Dodge. I want to be ahead of the game, and as @Maverick said, I would like to be as far off the primary routes as possible. It will take a lot longer to get where I'm gong, but that's part of the plan, too.

This is a great thread.

primarily I will be bugging IN, depending on what happens to the rest of my area(population 1,300), if it all goes into "panic mode" I will batten down the hatches and wait for the dust to settle, most-if not all- of my neighbours are townies so depending on events they could: 1. leave and go to relatives houses elsewhere. 2. leave and go to a county council "emergency shelter". 3. stay and run out of food and presumably die of starvation or disease or some health complication(a lot are elderly). I have about 8 empty, unused and long abandoned places I can go to if this place becomes unliveable but I don't want to bug out before I absolutely have to. its a rural area, long way from any large city, most preppers believe I have bugged out already because of my location.

It is the preppers adaptability and flexibility that gives him the edge over Joe Q Public, In the huge floods in the UK last year the masses of sheeple simply stood and watched as the waters rose and consumed their homes, but there were reported cases of families having an anti flood plan where they had already worked out how to move their valuables upstairs out of the waters way. One chap on the Thames also moved his family onto a boat moored near his home, others had built earth berms around their homes, and of course a healthy few had fully rigged Bug Out Plans. SOME new homes going up in the Thames valley are being built on stilts lifting them 6 ft above ground level.

Preppers like many military types have learned there is no such thing as the perfect fort,( Ruby Ridge & Waco) they just become and expensive tomb. All the best medieval castles over here had concealed escape routes built into the design. Most Brit preppers with kin to consider, because of Geography, Population density and other issues now generally elect to bug IN, but nearly all retain back up plans to bug out if TSHTF.

Geography and population density MUST play a major role in the planning and decision making process as to whether you elect to making bugging in or out your first choice, EG in a major crisis and at short notice bugging out of some place like Manhattan island would be a nightmare, as would leaving Vegas on foot without caches and supplies laid in place in advance ( much of the UK fits the Manhattan island format). In other places living in a rural area surrounded by forest makes the staying put option much better......... right up until the unexpected forest fire breaks out during a drought and the flames head your way. That's when living on a hilltop surrounded by trees get unpleasant. I don't think their is the perfect bug in location so its always wise to have a back up, just like so many Americans who carry a fire arms on their belts , no matter how expensive, tweaked tuned and ported often carry a back up pistol around their ankle.

love this thread more and more,as my first option is to bug in I have plans how to make my windows "dark" so that no one can see I'm here..have multiple bug out routes..choke-points pointed out on my map..that need to be avoided at all cost,if I had a canoe there would be a possibilty to use water ways also

Window tinting here is good for other reasons, as it lets less heat in, meaning energy costs lowered. In addition, an extra security layer for keeping glass intact.

love this thread more and more,as my first option is to bug in I have plans how to make my windows "dark" so that no one can see I'm here..have multiple bug out routes..choke-points pointed out on my map..that need to be avoided at all cost,if I had a canoe there would be a possibilty to use water ways also

IF I HAD A CANOE !!!!!! This from the country known as the land of a million lakes ???? :)

Well we all have our reasons for staying or leaving. Mine are pretty simple and that is our city sits along a North-South axis between two very good size metropolitan areas, is in the heart of cattle country (meaning food of feet, even though cattle rustling is still a crime in Texas and such people caught have been known to receive Texas justice. A very large maximum security prison is 10 miles away from the heart of the city and the demographics of the city is not what I would say as law abiding during normal times. Not wanting to be the rat caught in the maze...I have my plans and they've been executed several times over the years...I am sure that when the time is right, we will do the right thing. Granted depending on the situation, we will make the decision to execute either partial or all of the plan. Yes and if you see what Maverick posted above, you'll be able to adjust what I theorize would happen to our community. Granted I am a very Christian person, but once the floodgate is open, its open and your not going to stop it with one gun. IF you don't believe me watch a herd of cattle...you get the picture.

I'd say when the time does come about, those I've built a relationship with in DPF will know my plans and will if necessary be able to find me, if they have to make a decision to leave their home. They will always find a helping hand and an unwavering friendship.

I've got my escape route planed alright, but would be my last choice to start the trek away from my home. I am living in a small town - approx 20 000 people and I would not trust any of them to buddy up with. I feel more valnurable on the road and there are only a few alternatives up into the surrounding mountains and all of them go through some sort of township. I would be worried that the roads and tracks would be blocked by scavangers waiting for folks leaving their home.

The more I think about the more it becomes obvious - either to bunker down or bug out at the first sign of trouble, before others become so desperate to stop me. Still the big question is - where to? Any bug out location will be one day discoverd and again the choice has to be made - stay and defend or leave. Would that end in a never ending bugging out? Any thoughts on this?

PSA said
"The more I think about the more it becomes obvious - either to bunker down or bug out at the first sign of trouble, before others become so desperate to stop me. Still the big question is - where to? Any bug out location will be one day discoverd and again the choice has to be made - stay and defend or leave. Would that end in a never ending bugging out? Any thoughts on this?"

Last time I had any contact with Afrikaans preppers many of them were absolutely terrified of the thought of having to bug out of their communities and they were actively seeking viable alternatives such as microlights, boats, light aircraft, even charter aircraft for groups of families. Some folks elected to get off road capable camper vans so they could bug out cross country and avoid the townships. Its also a popular option with Aussie preppers.

Last edited:
i dont like the idea of having to bug out any more then you do Prepper Safrica but i will..on account i feel and believe my safety comes before my present location..so if/when the time comes..i will do so..you mentioned going through townships.im guessing that means going by the way of roads..have you looked into going across country? and maybe using the train tracks as well?

Latest posts

Back