What is the best and or easiest way to sharpen a knife?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaylorJD

Reaction score
I just bought a Gerber Guardian back up knife. It’s a small back up that fits well on my belt and I can wear it when I’m in uniform. Thing is its extremely dull right now. I am new to sharpening knifes so I need some help here. What are the best ways to sharpen a knife that isn’t too hard for a beginner? I can’t watch videos on it because where I’m at but pictures and good walkthroughs would be great!

Lanski makes a good sharpener for. Beginners. I don't know how to post those links though..
Sharpening a knife is all about angles and being able to consistently match your desired angle. Both of these will do the trick.

It usually comes with a free dvd on how to use it but, its super easy.

The lansky is a good sharpener. I have the Gatco. Basically the same product. The difference is the stones on the Gatco are wider so more knife blade is covered with each stroke. Knife if sharpened faster and I think its a more uniform edge. I have always used a wet stone with a light oil for a better edge. This just takes the thought of how to put the correct angle onto the knife. A sharpening steel works for a quick edge. I use one when butchering deer a lot.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/GATCO-Sharpeners-C95.aspx?gclid=CKyzluHt0bcCFfBDMgodFnUAvA

I prefer using stones, too( Unglazed coffee cups work fine) Reason being is that it helps ou get used to it in case you have nothign else to sharpen with. You know what qualities to look for in a stone when you have to make due.

I have a Lansky kit. Like mentioned above, its all about angles and consistency.

I paid from memory, AU$60 for it and its great. Very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back