What Is A Ham Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elija

Reaction score
Hi what is a ham radio I dont know much about radios just like fm and am for music and news and stuff all so wer can I get them il be 16 soon is this a ok age to own one all so things like permits and stuff O do you need internet to yous them.thank you for your coments

it is armature radio: ham is a old term for foolish and beginner you will need a license but you can learn about it with no problem... there are lots of good sites on them.

you can even purchase one and have it for emergencies without training just be aware if used in a non emergency situation u may get into trouble!

Ham is still a term used by people who are actually in the hobby. Nothing beginer or foolish about the term .

Last edited:
Hi what is a ham radio I dont know much about radios just like fm and am for music and news and stuff all so wer can I get them il be 16 soon is this a ok age to own one all so things like permits and stuff O do you need internet to yous them.thank you for your coments

You can talk over the internet by using what is known as Echolink. There is also the old fashion way with the HF frequencies like 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40, 80 and 160 meters. Many people also use CW (Continuous Wave)... a.k.a..... Morse Code

You can also talk around the planet with the WinSystem (http://winsystem.org). This is done through 2 meter and 70 centimeter (440).

This link is for licensing in Australia. I hope this helps you out.
http://www.wia.org.au/

Ham Radio - or Amateur Radio if you prefer is a radio service in which you have to be licensed to operate your station.
Amateurs are given a portion of some of the radio bands from just above the frequencies used for Broadcast AM radio clear up into the GHz range.
Amateurs are given this privilege because they are supposed to perform a service, to create a pool of trained radio operators at no cost to the government that the government can call upon in time of need.

To understand what this entails, you need to understand what a radio wave is and how it is measured and how it is described by either its frequency in Kilocycles or Megacycles or the French term which is in Meters.

The most popular of these bands is the two meters band, at about 144 - 148 Mhz - just above the weather service frequencies and just below MURS and the State Police high band VHF frequencies. This only takes a Technician Class License to enjoy these privileges.

Latest posts

Back