What I ended up canning this week

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can straight to jars. I don't mess with the crocks, etc. I'm too lazy
Am going this week for cabbage (at 29 cents a lb). Will dehydrate alot of it for soups later. But will get out the crocks and weight stones to start more sauerkraut. Then I water bath it, after it's done (about 3 weeks). Down to my last two cans.

Squash is on my list of things to can. I think I'll start with zucchinis, partly because I like them and partly because they are shaped like cucumbers.
If you are canning straight and not pickling, I would add a little lemon juice since squash isn't acidic. All of the canning nazis say to not can under and circumstances, but I do for casseroles. I do add a little salt and lemon juice though.

Dani i use pickle crisp and it really keeps the cukes crisp
We can't find pickle crisp here, so we put the cucumbers and pickles into ice water for two hours, make the brine, keep the clean jars hot in the oven, take each jar, add spices, add dill, the cold veggies and then the hot brine. Turn on the lid to cool and it keeps them almost as crisp...we made six jars today from the very first harvested pickles in Hungary, got onions, garlic and carrots today also. Love it, Gary
PS: we got some garlic seeds to make heirlooms, hoping they will work since they came from a non-heirloom planted garlic possibly...

The chickens have been laying aplenty lately so Spicy pickled eggs were a must and ended up with 9 pints. Son 4 eats them like crazy and I love them on my salads!! We had gone to a local flea market Sunday where a buddy had purchased something called Sweet Potato Butter from one of the booths. I love going thru these cause I can get different ideas on what to do with what I have extra. It sounded good, but had never tried it before. Yesterday I decided I would use some sweet taters and see what I could come up with. I took a standard recipe (cause I needed a basic PH level guide) and tweaked it for my family on taste. Buy PH strips from a pool supply house when you go into the big city. I called up my buddy and asked if he had tried it out and what ingredients they had. He said sweet taters, cane syrup, spices and Xanthum (which I had never heard of before). I used Sweet taters, both white and brown sugar, apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. When I was done, it tasted pretty darn good, like a sweet potato pie with a little tartness. Buddy was interested so came on over with a friend so he could try mine and I could try his that he bought. Ended up making 10 1/2 pints with buddy leaving the rest of his jar at my house and leaving with one of mine. . .:rolleyes: I'll take that as a compliment!

I make a similar product of mashed sweet potatoes, maple syrup, apple juice, touch of lemon juice and cinnamon. I don't can it but spread it on sheets in the dehydrator and dehydrate like a leather only completely dry. Then I let it cool and break it up like brittle in large pieces. It can be put in bags or jars with 02absorbers. Shelf stable and easy to carry, great as a backpacking/camping food. An alternative to energy bars. Could be carried easily in BOB. Sweet potato bark.

It could probably be made into a powder also and an instant sweet potato pie powder. Just thinking out loud

DD I just picked 2 5 gallon buckets of pears this morning. I do need to can some in quart sized jars but I may try doing the leather for the dehydrator and some for the freeze drier to make into powders. Think it would be interesting to see how it works out. I still have many more bucket loads to pick, bit I really won't have time to mess with them until after the upcoming wedding this next Saturday.

Latest posts

Back