What I ended up canning this week

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is it I am done! With a grand total of 903 jars canned this season and 413 already in the pantry that leaves a grand total of 1316 jars of just canned food alone in my larder.

Two full freezers and an as of yet uncounted amount of dehydrated food in buckets packaged in mylar.

And also additional long term storage grains and dried goods such as rice and beans in storage buckets also.

I am finished canning for the season because I am out of jars. Yes I have filled up every jar I own so it is time to quit.

I will continue to run the dehydrator as I still have some late potatoes and elderberries to dry.

Concentrating now on garden cleanup and upkeep of the lawn. Dealing with all those fallen leaves is a pain but mixed with the chicken and duck litter makes great compost.

Dealing with all those fallen leaves is a pain but mixed with the chicken and duck litter makes great compost.

I'm going to try to stay ahead of the leaves this year. They just started falling. I've already blown out the carport and front walk and porch once, but haven't done the back yet and they are piling up.

Canned boiled peanuts! Nectar of the Gods. Greatest snack ever and the official snack of the SOUTH
:D
Canned with a touch of Louisiana hot sauce and cajun seasoning. 41 quarts of pure goodness.

I absolutely hate these. My family likes them, but to me they taste like raw, salted beans.

I
I bought a case of Mainstay regular lids at the first of the pandemic and a case of Kerr wide mouth. I did have one of the mainstays fail so reprocessed with a new lid when I did my next batch. So far all of my wide mouths have stayed in placed, but the last I canned was the hamburger meat and that was not too long ago. I will be pissed if those fail. . . .
Have always found that wide mouths fail more than regular. My thought is that more air is possible with the wide opening.

They (Ball) have been making canning lids for how long? I would think exceeding 75 years. You would think they (Ball) would have it right by now. I have heard nothing but bad things about the "new" Ball lids and especially about losing their seal.

I work hard to can and grow food. I went with a company called Harvest Guard out of Colorado. Ordered 200 lids and extra gaskets to try. I have not tried Tattler as of yet.

Here is a video comparing the two.

They (Ball) have been making canning lids for how long? I would think exceeding 75 years. You would think they (Ball) would have it right by now. I have heard nothing but bad things about the "new" Ball lids and especially about losing their seal.

I work hard to can and grow food. I went with a company called Harvest Guard out of Colorado. Ordered 200 lids and extra gaskets to try. I have not tried Tattler as of yet.

Here is a video comparing the two.

What do you think of your Harvest Guard lids? Probably too soon to tell?

So, in the last few days I have canned venison stew, great northern beans, and ringless honey mushrooms that just popped up in the back yard.

Some people have reported some gastrointestinal issues with ringless honey mushrooms, so I cooked a small test batch of the mushrooms to make sure. I had no stomach problems at all. They don't really have much flavor.

I didn't take any pictures of them before harvesting them, but here is a stock photo. They are very distinctive, and all near lookalikes have rings on the stalk and they don't. The stalk is woody and tapers down towards the base. The caps are scaly. All the stalks are fused at the base. The gills are slightly descending. There is nothing else it could possibly be.
iu

Canning 5 quarts of chicken breasts and cooking down the bones and skin to make broth. 15 lbs didn't go very far.

They say that homemade chicken broth is good for celiac patients. Since I have two of those I thought I would can some. I have a few quarts of broth already.

That is it I am done! With a grand total of 903 jars canned this season and 413 already in the pantry that leaves a grand total of 1316 jars of just canned food alone in my larder.

Two full freezers and an as of yet uncounted amount of dehydrated food in buckets packaged in mylar.

And also additional long term storage grains and dried goods such as rice and beans in storage buckets also.

I am finished canning for the season because I am out of jars. Yes I have filled up every jar I own so it is time to quit.

I will continue to run the dehydrator as I still have some late potatoes and elderberries to dry.

Concentrating now on garden cleanup and upkeep of the lawn. Dealing with all those fallen leaves is a pain but mixed with the chicken and duck litter makes great compost.

That is an astonishing number of jars and represents untold hours of work. All I can say is WELL DONE!!!!!

Canning 5 quarts of chicken breasts and cooking down the bones and skin to make broth. 15 lbs didn't go very far.

They say that homemade chicken broth is good for celiac patients. Since I have two of those I thought I would can some. I have a few quarts of broth already.
Makes the house smell really good too

Latest posts

Back